• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Evans moving back to Auckland?

M

mimic

As a Blues supporter, I'm excited by this. Our backline would be stacked.

Evans won't be playing ANZC if he is selected for the RWC.. but if he isn't selected he said he'll play for Otago this year..

But as for next year he's undecided

9. Devine
10. Evans
11. Rocokoko
12. McAlister
13. Toeava
14. Howlett
15. Nacewa

Not a bad Backline at S14 level...

http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/411749/1150268

All Black first five-eighth Nick Evans has decided to leave Otago and the Highlanders to return home to Auckland so he can spend more time with his family.

Evans, who has played for Otago since 2005 and the Highlanders since 2004, said his pending move was motivated entirely by family reasons.

"I have had an amazing time in Dunedin," he said. "I will be forever grateful to Otago for the opportunities they have given me. Playing for Otago and the Highlanders has meant a lot to me and I would love to come back and play in Dunedin again if the opportunity presented itself."

Evans's parents live on Auckland's North Shore and while he played originally for North Harbour, he is not committed to any particular union next year yet.

The chief executive of the Otago union, Russell Gray, said Evans was a player of immense talent and would be missed but respected his reasons for moving.

"It's often forgotten in professional rugby that the players are young men and their job forces them into long absences away from their families," Gray said.

"Nick's desire to be closer to his family is entirely understood. He knows he will be welcome back here anytime."

[/b]

So I assume this means that Evans is not heading offshore?

If so, this has been a good week for the NZRFU. Sivivatu has been reinked, and McAlister who was supposedly going to sign a contract 2 weeks ago still hasn't, which is only good for us (the European Clubs I believe have a June deadline).

Not bad a week for Auckland Rugby as well, with Lavea going to Counties/Chiefs and replacing him with Evans.

9. Devine
10. Evans
11. Rocokoko
12. McAlister
13. Toeava
14. Howlett
15. Nacewa

Not a bad Backline at S14 level...

[/b]

Somehow I have a bad feeling that Nucifora has other ideas :wall:

exatly dude. it can't get much better than this. lavea gone and evans returns freaking awesome. christmas has come early for blues fans

Not bad a week for Auckland Rugby as well, with Lavea going to Counties/Chiefs and replacing him with Evans.[/b]

:lol:

I feel so sorry for this guy, he is an unliked player I've heard of up to date.

Shithouse. Well not sort of great for NZ to keep Evans in NZ BUT mate, what did the Blues do with Holwel.
Canes could have used him big time as could have the Chiefs.

If Evans does end up in Auckland it's a shame for the Highlanders as they do need him.
ANd whats worse David the ******** most propably won;t even use him.

And that is just shithouse.

Shithouse. Well not sort of great for NZ to keep Evans in NZ BUT mate, what did the Blues do with Holwel.

If Evans does end up in Auckland it's a shame for the Highlanders as they do need him.

[/b]

Oh he will use him, theres a difference between playing Nacewa, the new Flavour of the Month in Auckland Rugby over Old Man Holwell and Playing Nacewa over an All Black Fly Half - Not even Peter Sloane would've done something so stupid as that, and Nucifora isn't on that level... yet

And the Canes didn't need Holwell, they have a perfectly good Fly Half in Gopperth who IMO would be in international consideration in most other countries, they just didn't use him.

Gopperth was just in bad form.

Stephen Donald played well for the Chiefs..

Otago needs more than just Evans..

Didn't Evans Dad get himself quoted in the paper by saying that Nick said he was sick of playing with Donkey's outside of him.

Probably. With their front row leaving, he'd be having donkeys on his inside as well.

Gosh what is happening to Otago rugby? This is terrible for the once uummm strong rugby club. With their star players leaving and even worse the franchise could just simply vanish from the Super 14 in a couple of years time if they don't get their 'glasshouse' stadium built for specified standard requirements. Just in the news tonight reported over 55 % of the region opposed the proposal of building what will guarantee to save the Otago Highlanders' disappearance.

[/b]

highlanders needed more than evans. the highlanders was evans basically and to an extent the frontrow. now evans and the front row is gone they will have to find new players. maybe blair stewart will be the prefered no 10 for the highlanders now.

evans will be used without a doubt. nacewa well better than laeva is not in the same class as evans as a 10. what an awesome backline blues could have 10 evans 12 mcAlister 15 Nacewa rockocko 11 14 howlett and toeava at 13. man that is one hell of a backline.

holwell is a great player to have in your franchise but hes abit too old. he will be back playing club rugby for mid-northern and captaining the taniwha.

On this one, sorry guys disagree with most of you on the Holwel issue.
Coperth had a SHITFUL year in the super 14, even Donald looked better than him, why?
He was no second fiddle for his sport. Weepu? the guys a half back not a 10 (and by letting him have a run at 10 has cost his spot in the AB's... **** poor managment, **** poor).

The blues with what they did with Howell is just plain out shithouse, Nacewa could have covered 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 and 15. You've got a guy this a class act in Super 14 terms at 10 and what do you do? stick him on the bench for the whole season. Blues do not deserve a player like Evans. Repeat DO NOT deserve a player like Evans, if you're an Aussie coach and f***ing things up like David has.... mate he can have what he's got, and got talent to burn.

I'd rather see Evans at the Canes, no issue with who's outside him and Jimmy's the sort of player that needs compition. If you can't see how good that is for NZ rugby well then maybe NZ ends at the Bombays and you're just a loser riding on the backbone of NZ Rugby.

Yeah gopperth was straight crap in my oppinion. He was above average at best but wasnt consistant. Epecialliy when he would repeatedly kick the ball out on the full dammint! :wall:

Yeah gopperth was straight crap in my oppinion. He was above average at best but wasnt consistant. Epecialliy when he would repeatedly kick the ball out on the full dammint! :wall:
[/b]

...oh well, I guess he scored the best try of the Hurricanes 07. He slotted the winning points through the posts from a penalty goal in the semi last year too. So I would never call him crap at all, nor any other rugby player. :)

Latest posts