• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

fastest player in the game

That really is not such a bad idea for before the game on March 5

1 Brian O Driscoll
2 Sireli Bobo
3 Jason Robinson
4 Rupeni Caucaunibuca

actually there's only four remotely fast players on the cards at the moment!

Dennis Hickie is faster than BOD methinks. Surely Ugo Monye and Marcel Garvey could feature too.

Originally posted by captainamerica@Feb 16 2005, 06:42 AM
Robinson is very fast, but he is not the fastest, even over 30 metres.

His agility is outstanding, but in all out straight running, he's got some pace, but not the fastest.
yea remember wen howlett smoked him to score that try... that was about 30m

It;s TOO funny!! Lol!

He just can't accept that the quickest Pom in his opinion is Robinson and he doesn't cut it with the AB speedsters - Hehehehehehehehe!!!!

Ironic, the quickest POM wingers/fullbacks/any backs for that matter are that little **** who burnt Lomu and Ben Cohen - no **** he's got tow. Why? Cos he's looked fast against my boyz...Robinson..well..less said the better....His big ridiculous Menzies step ain't diddly squat.

He doesn't carve us up. His stuff ain't backyard worthy. Lol! (but really)

A good race for 7 people would be

Sereli Bobo
Rupeni
Joe Rokocoko
Chavunga ( that black stormers guy who played a few games last year)
Howlett
Robinson
Ohata

Los: Bit harsh on robinson there I think, he's definately a good player. You're bias to SH Players is amazes even me as a NZ'er

Originally posted by Los Lover@Feb 17 2005, 05:35 AM
...Robinson..well..less said the better....His big ridiculous Menzies step ain't diddly squat.
One on one Jason Robinson is probably the most dangerous finisher in world rugby at the moment. If his step is so crap then why does he continue to slice open international defenses?

Originally posted by jimmy44+Feb 17 2005, 03:03 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jimmy44 @ Feb 17 2005, 03:03 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-richllew
@Feb 16 2005, 10:16 PM
Rockococko can't do 100 metres in under 10 seconds only some top sprinters can do that.

I think he does it in about 10.6 seconds  (Jonah 10.8)
Agreed [/b]
Yeah i would bet on Joe to be the fastest

Originally posted by maddog79+Feb 17 2005, 08:51 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (maddog79 @ Feb 17 2005, 08:51 PM)</div>
Originally posted by jimmy44@Feb 17 2005, 03:03 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-richllew
@Feb 16 2005, 10:16 PM
Rockococko can't do 100 metres in under 10 seconds only some top sprinters can do that.

I think he does it in about 10.6 seconds  (Jonah 10.8)

Agreed
Yeah i would bet on Joe to be the fastest [/b]
Joe Rokocoko is the only player to beat Rupeni in a race. Joe, Dougie and CauCau use to race eachother at training when they were all in the Blues team. Dougie & Brad Fleming were the fastest junior track runners in College, as was Jonah.

Clyde Rathbone is also a fast runner, he beat every winger over 40 metres when training for the Wallabies.

As for Robinson he has good acceleration but isnt good over 100 metres. The reason why he beats people is because he is very hard to read ala Rupeni. If anything he still hasnt run 80 metres through a whole team like Christian Cullen did against Australia in 1996.

Also dont forget about Shane Williams.

If you want to talk about who is the fastest players with skill, past or present i would like to compare the below players.

Cullen
Campese
Underwood
Joubert
Lomu
Rokocoko
Howlett
Tune
Rupeni
Chester Williams
Sella
Ntamack
Shane Williams
Clyde Rathbone
Ohata

All fast and amazing players.

Agreed Bull - Russell has hardly been mentioned in this debate. He is the quickest Springbok by a good yard (although I reckon Habana is up there) and anyone who watched his try against Harlequins last week would bear testimony to this fact.

Man I love Rugby, and I even know the whole "metres system" you all keep refering to (obviously used by everyone in the world cept us lol).

But you all lose me, big time in this debate, I have opinions, but some of the responses I read aren't even damn discernable by an american LOL.

To me, here in the US, speed in games like the NFL, it's not even debateable, because these guys were all measured in their 40's back in college or high school.

For those of you not too savy on 40's, it's "our" speed measuring system, we go mostly by short burst speed, which is what is most used in american football.

40's are the 40 yard dash, and the fastest (world fastest type people) are rated as such (Link Time!!)

http://www.parisischool.com/NFL_Combine_Training.html
Parisi Speed School: NFL Combine Training & Preparation Programs

Read up and see what we use for speed related info, trying my best to learn what it is you guys give as input and try to relate it to what I know from NFL and American standards.

rokos the fastest all black eva....someone said that in the ab camp...even howlett a high school sprinter said he couldnt match toe with roko...

i reckon bobo and chavanga are the fastest in the rugby world....

Yep, bobo and chavanga fastest i would say.
Dunno bout roko though, he struggled alot against chavanga last year.
Cullen in his prime perhaps fastest all black IMO.

<

We'll neva now, only speculation
<

Chavange is very good for a sprinter who plays rugby as opposed to Howlett - who is a rugby player who was a sprinter. Used to watch him in the school races...he was there or thereabouts but didn't always win....

<<We'll neva now, only speculation >>

Actually this is not entirely true...

The stats for sprints for 40 and 100 metre etc are recorded....
When a renowned fitness tester tested the All Blacks recently ( a man who has worked with all the major teams in world rugby ) he stated publicly that Rokocoko was the quickest player in both formats he had ever seen.

He wouldn't have seen Chavanga however, who I admit is fast (even if the majority of this is based on a good performance last year against a frankly woeful Blues team (on the night......they are my team)...This is b/c he doesn't start for the Springboks....despite the speed.

Originally posted by Gandalf@Feb 18 2005, 10:56 PM
Cullen in his prime perhaps fastest all black IMO.

<

We'll neva now, only speculation
<
it would be good if bobo had a brain coz he would be a super star rugby player but sadly he doesnt...i was wondering bout fijians and if they focused on 100metre sprinters for the olympics they would haul-in alotta medals at events like this...commonwealth etc....wheres hobana in this conversation..i thought he was another speedsta

Originally posted by Gandalf@Feb 18 2005, 10:56 PM
So many factors involved in sprinting for rugby.

First there is the sprig factor, sock factor, uniform factor.
Then you have to make do with fitness at the time of the sprint, recovering from something or not.
Lastly but most importantly is the ball or no ball factor. Very important.

All these influence heavily when judging the fastest player on the FEILD, not the track and field.

Bobo and Chavagna are both proven as out of this world going in a straight line sprint WITH THE BALL in hand.

Roko may have done well in the testing stats. But he is slow (especially takeoff) with the ball and sometimes even in defence (remember Mortlock in the RWC semi?).

I would say it is a tie between Bobo and Chavag. Though Bobo has proven himself a little bit more on the international stage (P.I's vs S.A. Bobo makes Montgomery look as slow as his march to Berlin by leaving him behind in the sprint to the corner, then curling around to take it to the posts. You only do that to PROPS!)

delasau also from fiji is gotta be up there aswell....cool to see him in cantab with the loss of other fijians bobo and caucau....

rugby05 ratings should be
bobo-spd 99
acc 98
awr=nought
<

chavanga spd 98

rokocoko spd 97
acc 90
but his agility should be 97 to 99...hes gotta be on top with that...hes got awesome balance,step and evasiveness skills...look at those freaky deaky tries where he dives like a frog...he got crazy agility compiled with balance,awareness and blistering speed...certainly not the fastest but the most well balanced of wingers

Did you see Chiro on TV3 when they were talking about the R2005 game. They said that this year Roko (the real life one, not the one in the game) is fitter and faster than he has ever been.

I have to admit he has come a long way in speed. I remember in 2002 when he stepped Nonu down the sideline but still didn't outrun the covering defence. Now when you see him one on one with the fullback he looks very impressive (AB's vs Wales...THAT dummy kick try).

Latest posts