• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Fastest Player

Who is Fastest??

• Total voters
I urge everyone to get Jake Whites Biography, In Black And White.

In his book he states, and i quote: " Tonderai is the fastest player i have ever coached - quicker than Bryan Habana."

That should pretty much seal this case. Another fact is that tonderai ran for the Zimbabwean 100m and 200m sprinting team. He also ran against Takudzwa Ngwenya, and managed to beat him. So here is your list, and pretty much fact, and not opinion.

1. Tonderai Chavanga (SA)
2. Takudzwa Ngwenya (USA)
3. Bryan Habana (SA)
[/b]

Yea that seems quite logical then, with maybe Varndell 4th and Rockokoko 5th.

I've got some friends in Auckland who know Lelia Masaga from the Chiefs quite well. They say Masaga runs about a 10.4 hundred metres, which would make him easily quicker than habana and rokocoko.

I've got some friends in Auckland who know Lelia Masaga from the Chiefs quite well. They say Masaga runs about a 10.4 hundred metres, which would make him easily quicker than habana and rokocoko. [/b]
Maybe so, but is that on track? Running on track is a fair bit different to running on a rugby field with ball in hand. Some are better than others, which could make some fellows that are slower on the track faster on the field. Just my thoughts though..

I've got some friends in Auckland who know Lelia Masaga from the Chiefs quite well. They say Masaga runs about a 10.4 hundred metres, which would make him easily quicker than habana and rokocoko.
[/b]

Doesnt that make him the same as Habana? does anyone know how quick Rockoko is over 100m?

Dunno how fast Joe is, But i remember in the 2004 Super 12, when the stormers played the Blues in Auckland.

I just remember seeing Tonderai Chavanga run circles around him. It was brilliant. As for Sivivatu, this pretty much puts him out of the running: http://youtube.com/watch?v=p93mxSU2bJc

But hey, i would also give up if i had to chase the fastest man in world rugby. :lol:

Just watch what happens as soon as he gets the pass. He is electric!!!

He will slaughter any other challenge. There is just no one faster than Tonderai Chavanga!!! Watch the video!!!!!!

I wouldnt say Sivivatu is anything like the benchmark in terms of speed and he gives up, but yea it was really impressive. Sivivatu couldnt even catch that Pyke guy for Canada so i doubt he'd catch Chavanga. He (Siv) is excellent at everything else though which makes him such an excellent winger.

Maybe so, but is that on track? Running on track is a fair bit different to running on a rugby field with ball in hand. Some are better than others, which could make some fellows that are slower on the track faster on the field. Just my thoughts though..[/b]

Not sure what surface that was on, but after watching Masaga playing for Counties in the NPC, I would put money on him being as quick on the field as Habana. Not only that, but he has incredible balance as well. In one game against North Harbour, he received the ball from a scrum about 40m from the line, ran down the blindside, stepped inside the winger, stepped inside the fullback, and beat the cover defense to score. No-one even got close to catching him. It was the kind of try you would only expect from Christian Cullen or Caucau.

I'm good friends with Lelia's older brother haven't seen them in years thou so wouldn't even know how much Lelia's changed. But at school as a little fulla bout 12 years old he was pretty quick but actually not very good at rugby from what I remember, obviously things have changed.

A time of 10.4 is pretty quick I wouldn't doubt it thou but I think it was probably done on the track rather than on the rugby field.

Jer1Cho thats my video lol and yep Sivivatu got smoked but after chasing that other dude you gota give him some credit.

Another person I think who is extremely fast is Sosene Anesi who has the fastest ever All Black time over 40m.

in that video Sivi was comin across from the centre of play to make the tackle so he did have to run further. with that said Chavanga is still the faster of the two anyway. but all this talk of Masaga and Anesi being quick, put Sivi at fulback and thats the Chiefs back 3 with Waqaseduadua on the bench :eek: thats a scary speedy prospect.

I thought it was already established that Chavhanga was currently the fastest in union? I voted for Caucau anyhow. His unique running style that makes it look as if he's taking a light jog around the park is mind-blowing when considering how fast he's actually moving.

The fastest player in the world is between Rupeni Caucaunibuca and Habana. They tested here in South Africa that Habana run against a cheetah, hahah but the cheetah won with a mile.

Yeah I saw that on youtube Habana had a 35m heastart but his 1st run he was pretty close to the cheetah 2nd run got throttled but to be expected racing a cheetah.
I don't think caucau's as fast as he use to be so maybe for acceleration but overall speed there are alot of players faster than him now.

The fastest player in the world is between Rupeni Caucaunibuca and Habana. They tested here in South Africa that Habana run against a cheetah, hahah but the cheetah won with a mile.
[/b]

Cant a Cheetah run around 70-80 mph though? hardly a disgrace.

I just did a speed conversion for Asafa Powells time of 9.74 over the 100m. At this speed he would peak at 22.97mph which is 36.96kph.

Bryan Habana's time of 10.4 would be 21.51mph & 34.62kph which for anyone let alone a rugby player is very fast.

Found a time for Takudzwa Ngwenya and he's down as 10.7 over the 100m which is still extremely quick seems like anyone over 11sec has no chance.

what about Anesi? He held the Samoan 100m record at one stage....
and how about Flash Masaga?
Oh and Daisuke Ohata?

what about the time that caucau came back from his wedding and got cut down from behind by Dave Duley (A MOOLOO LOCK!!!!!)
And considering how fat caucau is at the mo! (watching his 3 try comeback game) lol
[/b]

OK, to clarify Bryan Habana and the cheetah story.

Being a South African, I know what the real story is. He was not trying to beat the cheetah. If you think that he was racing it for some speed test, or in the hope that he reckoned he had a chance, you are one hell of an idiot.

He did it to help raise funds for the cheetah sanctuary. It was an event that attracted lots of public interest, and helped raise funds for the cheetahs here in South Africa, as they are a protected animal.

And like i said, Tonderai Chavanga is the fastest rugby player on Earth. I don't care who you want it to be, but its Tonderai. He outpaced his closest challenge in Takudzwa Ngwenya when doing track running. And we all know what Ngwenya did to Habana. I also quoted Jake White, as he said that Chavanga is the fastest player he has ever coached, quicker than Habana.

So please everyone, don't say that anyone is the fastest, because you are a fan!

Tonderai Chavanga - The fastest rugby player on Earth today.

Case closed!!!

Anesi is quick he holds the record time for the All Blacks over the 40m. Yeah Lelia Masaga's quick I saw him smoke habana when they played the bulls last season but haven't heard of any times for him yet. Didn't Daisuke Ohata retire? I'm not sure if he did but if he didn't I guess you could put him in there.

I reckon Chavanga is probably one of the fastest rugby players in the world but how many times has he shown it on the rugby field because when it comes down to it thats all that really matters.

Does anyone have times for Christian Cullen because I watched him cut down caucaunibuca live when the Wellington Lions played the Northland Taniwha so he must be extremely quick too.

Cullen once had the record for the AB's agility test, not sure if that still stands.

note: doesn't daisuke ohata have the record for the most test tries in rugby history now?

Latest posts