• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Fastest Player

Who is Fastest??

• Total voters
I hope he's not gonna be another Stapleton nowhere to be seen. Should be good but of course that's whether he'll be able to show his pace when he plays Rugby because he might be use to just doing it in spurts like in American Football.

Jongi Nokwe, who scored 4 tries against the Wallabies on debut in 2008 is also a speedster. Suspect in defense and under the ball, though and Chavanga is probably faster as well. Tekudza Ngwenya who flatfooted Habana in the RWC 2007 also comes to mind.

Everybody are talking about wingers, though where Pierre Spies would probably beat them in 100m dash.

Shane Williams, Gio Aplon, Masaga etc quick off the mark but Caucau takes it in that department.

Habana best all round winger.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Woldog @ Sep 28 2009, 10:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (stormer2010 @ Sep 28 2009, 06:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Habana best all round winger.[/b]

Cept for the fact he drops the ball most "intercepts"
[/b][/quote]

Because intercepts are such a huge part of what makes a great winger. Still think he manages more intercepts than most.

Anyone better? None at the moment.

I'd say Habana is a great interceptor, which is an annoying feature of his game for All Black fans. By the way, I'm sure it is just because of the camera angles and I can't judge the distance very well but, does anyone else think that it looks like Dallas Robinson is running slowly? I mean he obviosly isn't due to his time, but his running style just dosn't seem as rapid as others.

Because running fast doesn't have that much to do with your legs moving fast, it's all about technique and how much force you exert on the ground.

I managed to find a video that shows Sharks 8th man Ryan Kankowski try to catch Jongi Nokwe. Nokwe is one of the fastest players in South Africa. Even though Kankowski gets out-paced, he still manages to get his hands on him right before the try-line.

This guy is one fast loose-forward! It's from around 01:40.

<div align='center'><object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IF5DEqJFP4M&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IF5DEqJFP4M&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object></div>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jer1cho @ Sep 28 2009, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I managed to find a video that shows Sharks 8th man Ryan Kankowski try to catch Jongi Nokwe. Nokwe is one of the fastest players in South Africa. Even though Kankowski gets out-paced, he still manages to get his hands on him right before the try-line.

This guy is one fast loose-forward! It's from around 01:40.

<div align='center'><object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IF5DEqJFP4M&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IF5DEqJFP4M&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>
[/b][/quote]

I'm not trying to say Kankowski's slow, because he and Spies and Croft are very quick forwards.

However, that video highlights the difference between a speedster and someone who's quick. Kankowski got absolutely burned and was nowhere near 'catching' Nokwe, he only managed to get a hand on him by a desperate dive.

Anyway, for 'fastest player' we look at 1) Fastest in a rugby match or 2) Fastest in general

I'd say players like Lemi, Robinson, Shane Williams etc. fall into category 1.

Category 2 has your 100m sprinters. And given that Ugo Monye ran 10.6 as a 16 year old, I'd say he's certainly the quickest in Europe and up there with the other guys around the world.

Actually, I've just been looking up 100m PBs.

Takudzwa Ngwenya (USA) 10.25 (According to wikipedia)
Tonderai Chavhanga (RSA) 10.27 (Aged 16)
Ugo Monye (ENG) 10.60 (Aged 16)
Sosene Anesi (NZ) 10.60 (According to BBC website)
Bryan Habana (RSA) 10.70 (As a schoolboy; I've also seen 10.20 and 10.40 listed)
Tom Varndell (ENG) 10.80 (In socks on grass)

I know there's well known speedsters I've missed out, but that's all I could find and I really can't be arsed to look too much.

Looks to me like Ngwenya and Chavhanga are the real superstars, and the other names that all crop up including the likes of Rokocoko are all mad quick as well.

What would be helpful is if the players actually had a 100m championship so we could see...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jer1cho @ Sep 29 2009, 06:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Anesi is slow. He couldn't catch Pierre Spies.[/b]

Anesi hasnt been himself ever since his injuries. i think he broke his neck or something ridiculous among other things.

He got himself an AB spot on pure pace. I remember reading somewhere that he has the record for fastest 40metre time in NZ sevens history. There have been alot of speedsters through that team..

Here we go... Have a look at Pierre Spies go... Notice it's Anesi trying to chase him.

<div align='center'><object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PPrrWLLQ2WA&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PPrrWLLQ2WA&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object></div>

I've got this game on myskytv and Pierre Spies just goes for it even thou Anesi had to come from the other side of the field he is a winger and if it was any ordinary loose forward would have most probably caught them.

I also had another game of Spies against the Crusaders where Jarod Payne chip kicks it straight to Fourie Du Preez who passes it to Spies and than he runs about a good 55-60m outpacing Andrew Ellis and Ryan Crotty the centre/winger who's definately no slouch.

Without a doubt Spies is the fastest loose forward in the game today.

ROFL! I asked Ryan Kankowski on his website who the fastest player is! Here is what he said:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Q. THIS HAS BEEN DEBATED FOR YEARS BUT WHO ARE THE FASTEST BACKS IN WORLD RUGBY?

FROM RICHARD HEDGES, SA

Hi Richard. Since I can remember, the deadliest finisher was Rupini. Habana is also flipping quick and Nokwe is like a bullet. Spies is also pure speed. It's difficult to say who is definitely the fastest as it depends on the day. On the field a guy can get wrong footed and then you can beat him on that particular occasion, whereas he might scream past you the next time. There are so many ways to judge it. Everyone is fast but it all comes down to who is the fastest on the day.[/b]

http://ryankankowski.co.za/ask-ryan/

That's an excellent answer because I've seen countless examples of this like when Roks smoked Anesi than 5min later he did the same thing.

I went to school with Lelia Masaga's older brothers one of thems suppose to come visit me so I'll ask him who's the fastest he'll probably say his brother but I'll try and get him to be serious so we can try and answer this thread once and for all.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Woldog @ Sep 28 2009, 03:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Matt Dunning would beat Habana to a doughnut anyday.[/b]

Haha Matt Dunning what a turd.

BTW - What ever happened to Caucau after Agen? Did he move to Columbia to be a drug lord? Wish he still played and wasn't so lazy in his prime. It really would have been something to see him play at top shape.

just have a look on the last philip burger try for USAP (Perpignan, France) vs Munster, a funny vid edit by a french USAP and Burger fan: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFlhyP9rukI
I don't know if he's THE fastest player, but he's really fast, crazy and fantastic. now in perpignan we call him "beep beep"

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ruggersp @ Dec 9 2009, 04:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Woldog @ Sep 28 2009, 03:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Matt Dunning would beat Habana to a doughnut anyday.[/b]

Haha Matt Dunning what a turd.

BTW - What ever happened to Caucau after Agen? Did he move to Columbia to be a drug lord? Wish he still played and wasn't so lazy in his prime. It really would have been something to see him play at top shape.
[/b][/quote]
I don't think he's anywhere right now. He just seems like he can't be bothered.
And they say Gavin Henson is wasting his talent.

Latest posts