• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Fastest Player

Who is Fastest??

• Total voters
Damn that's serious gas. The guys he's skinning are no slouches either.

Yoan Artru is probably one of the fastest in the TOP 14, pure product of Montpellier.

Awkward moment when Rod Davies is faster than Habana, Rockcockcokcockco and alot of the players mentioned.

A try by Carlin Isles at the Dubai Sevens

<iframe height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6YjLHadGoFk#t=1011" frameBorder="0" width="640" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

How unco is he, almost tripped himself over trying to do an in and away. I bet he is hopeless at 15's.

How unco is he, almost tripped himself over trying to do an in and away. I bet he is hopeless at 15's.

Yeah I've played against a couple of very quick guys who have got their spot in the team because of their gas, not their rugby ability and they are soon found wanting.

Awkward moment when Rod Davies is faster than Habana, Rockcockcokcockco and alot of the players mentioned.

Yeah he's quick. Still I'd have Habana or Candyman over Rod.

Found this tribute on Youtube to Carlin Isles. Some tries not included in some of the other vids. Very quick.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not really. He played American football, so can tackle and take a hit pretty well.

Saw that debut performance and thought "He's fast, no rugby brain, and has no hands". But from that short video, looks like he's certainly improving! Some serious gas!!! Interesting to see what he'd be like in a 15 a side game.....

Damn he's fast! Might have to start watching more Sevens. Carlin Isles. I'm going to remember that name. I hope one day the USA start taking rugby seriously and their elite athletes give it a go.

how can Habana be 1st runner??? caucau is a freak and for his size!!!

plus, why isn't that Zimbabwean on the list? the one that plays USA... he ran around Habana and out sprinted him...

Cullen was also superfast... what about Vunibaka? or the chiefs flyer... can't get to his name now, he played in 2000 I think :?

Hosea Gear is up there as well...

Last edited:
Saw that debut performance and thought "He's fast, no rugby brain, and has no hands". But from that short video, looks like he's certainly improving! Some serious gas!!! Interesting to see what he'd be like in a 15 a side game.....
just like Habana....

how can Habana be 1st runner??? caucau is a freak and for his size!!!

plus, why isn't that Zimbabwean on the list? the one that plays USA... he ran around Habana and out sprinted him...

Cullen was also superfast... what about Vunibaka? or the chiefs flyer... can't get to his name now, he played in 2000 I think :?

Hosea Gear is up there as well...

Roger Randle? He was a very, very quick winger in a steight line - wasn't the mst skillful though.

Christian Cullen was extremely quick - saw a video the other day of him catching Marika Vunibaka from behind, who I rate as one of the fastest players I've seen. His real attribute was how he could change direction without losing much pace - he didn't so much side step as he did just change his mind mid way through a sprint. Rupeni Caucaunibuca certainly was quick back in 2002-2003, he has lost a lot of pace since gaining so much weight - still fast for his size mind you.

That being said - it's always the fastest in terms of track speed that I think this thread is interested in. Impossible to judge how quick a guy is on a rugby pitch as it seems relative. Topsy Ojo for example always looks extremely slow to me because of his running style, it isn't until he passes everyone that you realize he's very quick.

just like Habana....

Habana has got a very good all around game. Very solid in defence (when he's not going for the intercept), decent kicking game, good at catching up and unders. There really isn't an area where I think he fails.

Roger Randle? He was a very, very quick winger in a steight line - wasn't the mst skillful though.

Christian Cullen was extremely quick - saw a video the other day of him catching Marika Vunibaka from behind, who I rate as one of the fastest players I've seen. His real attribute was how he could change direction without losing much pace - he didn't so much side step as he did just change his mind mid way through a sprint. Rupeni Caucaunibuca certainly was quick back in 2002-2003, he has lost a lot of pace since gaining so much weight - still fast for his size mind you.

That being said - it's always the fastest in terms of track speed that I think this thread is interested in. Impossible to judge how quick a guy is on a rugby pitch as it seems relative. Topsy Ojo for example always looks extremely slow to me because of his running style, it isn't until he passes everyone that you realize he's very quick.

Habana has got a very good all around game. Very solid in defence (when he's not going for the intercept), decent kicking game, good at catching up and unders. There really isn't an area where I think he fails.

Nick, you the fcking man!!! Roger Randle ya!!!

Cullen aka pakakariki express till this day is still my rugby hero... but I never knew he caught Vunibaka from behind :O I'm gonna try look for the vid now... WOW!!!

ya I know what you saying regarding the judging of player speed...

on banana, I don't like him at all... he has pace and that is about it... his high work rate makes him look a bit better (like wayne rooney)... his defence is poor one on one... he can catch up to someone from behind and then bring him down with is a bit easier... he can't pass, has little ball skills... I don't want to go off topic as this thread is about pace... but if I had too choose between a guy like Cory Jane and banana, i'll go for Jane without thinking twice... Jane is a lot slower (maybe not) but is brilliant in all other departments where banana is not...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_iAQXyDJns

lol have you seen the vid of banana vs the cheetah :D funny ****... banana is already on pace and they let loose this cheetah... after a seconds you could see the cheetah starts too realize... hey why the @#%@#$ i'm I running here... and the cheetah actually start to look around :D plus they shoot from behind after the cheetah is let lose... now how can you judge who won???

this cheetah goes 0-60 in 3seconds... and they claim banana beat it :lol:

Nick, you the fcking man!!! Roger Randle ya!!!

Cullen aka pakakariki express till this day is still my rugby hero... but I never knew he caught Vunibaka from behind :O I'm gonna try look for the vid now... WOW!!!

If you're interested - someone uploaded a Roger Randle tribute a couple of months ago - the only reason I know this is cause I was looking for footage myself for a very long time (very few old Waikato and S12 Chiefs games are up on Youtube, had to go through NPC season try highlights from like 1999-2004 to get a handful of footage, so this vid was pretty interesting to me). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cm5rh3t2Of4

In terms of the Vunibaka from behind - I'll take a look and see if I can find it. It was a Wellington game so it's a bit tricky to find - but here is one video where Cullen gets very close to Vunibaka on his second try (Vunibaka had a too big a head start). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mfMrsaX1sc - worth remembering Cullen at this stage had knees that were more or less shot, despite being a very good last season.

You may also like this if you haven't seen it - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIPD1KoZ44U (features Vunibaka, Cullen and Lomu in the 2000 NPC final - which Wellington won. And haven't since <_<).

Last edited:

Latest posts