• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Favourite 5 & Least Favourite 5 Features of our Games

Rugby needs a game engine used in Madden as it's perfect ragdoll physics for a rugby game! Rant over

5 Top features that I like:
- World League was good, improvement would be to have super 14, Guinness premiership and top 14 leagues instead with Heineken and Amlin challenge implemented too.
- Kits were designed fairly well.
- Most stadia was correct but I noticed that there were 5 or 6 teams that used the bigger nations smaller stadiums, maybe due to lazy research but probably not.
- can't think of anything else.

5 Top feature I don't like:
- Faces were okay, detail was minimal, trf guys designed very sweet faces!
- Statistics on players and teams were abysmal, wrong names, nations, skin colour it goes on! Shouldn't really be a problem with the amount of coverage and websites teams have nowadays.
- all animations are now regurgitated and are very old. Not to mention fairly unrealistic as well.
- big tackles are unrealistic, maybe changing it with making the player accelerate into the tackle instead to create a bigger hit?
- lineouts are easily stolen from the front, and as the hooker gives away his throw by slowly pulling back, pretty bad there.
- drop kicks have taken a step back with the new feature, 06 had a good feature for that.
- no chip kick ability when in full flight, this would add an extra element into the game.
- no online (bad move)
- bad menu layout and functionality when involving bringing players into the national side, especially the full backs right at the end of the list! this should all be sectioned and sub sectioned eg. backs, forwards and so on...
- more effective team ratings as some teams were rated so low they should not even turn up to the matches even though in real life they are a competitive outfit.
- commentary is very dated, the need for sky sports endorsement maybe?? using their commentary teams and so on??
- USA rugby has a rapidly building fan base especially at college level, maybe incorporating their national championships would help boost US sales and interest for new and current US fans.
- Russia are a good outfit.
- Japan have a professional league, possible league to expand too??
- Russia also compete professionally in their country.
- All top pro leagues in the world need to be included to gain and expand marketing ability around the world for fans.

I could go on all day about the problems and it pretty much extends from how dated the rugby games are now and they need to be somewhere along the lines as FIFA and MADDEN otherwise fans will keep liking rugby and not the games, where it should be liking both!

Thanks for your time guys!

Favs
1. Defence is much stronger close to the line
2. World League (but needs rebuffing)
3. Historic Replays (But use original players, and get rid of ridiculous 50m soccer kicks)
4. Right joystick allows for special movement (but needs rebuffing, stepping shouldnt be automated but still be there)
5. Set Plays

Least Fav\
1. Not updateable roster/stats
2. Not being able to really contest scrums, rucks, mauls
3. Offloads are ridiculously easy
4. Computer is way to easy to beat
5. YOU'VE WAITED OVER FOUR BLOODY YEARS TO CREATE A NEW GAME!!!

Favourite
1) Stadiums are well made
2)World league(as mentioned it could be more in depth and for super 14 (super 15 in 2012) ,etc
3)Challenge mode was interesting
4)Enjoy the trophy room feature
5)preferred when 06 you could edit the representative teams

Least Favourite
1) Elite not hard enough(Maybe add a legend mode)
2)Creating of players(stamina is very bad) and things like side steps slow you down whereas real life it doesn't necesarily
3)Would like to have more teams(Especially representative teams such as England saxons and Emerging Springboks)
4)create a tournament mode(thus enabling a tournament like the Nations cup(where the Emerging Springboks play teams like Georgia)
5)Season mode- Where you can play like 5-10 years with a team in like super 14 ,etc and sign players ,etc and records kept so you can compare who scored the most points ,tries,etc or even for international teams so you can play through tri-nations and autmn and end of the year tests?
6)Kicking - I have two problems here... Firstly the chip kick.... please add it as it is used more often than a grubber and is highly effective... Secondly when set onto elite the computer tends to kick a helluva lot... especially when having a flyhalf like Johnny or Carter...
7)Trophies... in the tri-nations the aus and nz teams compete for the bledisloe cup where nz and sa compete for the freedom cup and aus and sa compete for the nelson mandela plate, i think in the nothrthern hemisphere it has the same types of trophies... also maybe a chance to win a grand slam trophy... im sure this shouldn't be too hard to add as it just an extra reward for winning and extra incentive to play the game:)

I honestly think if you could implement a few of these changes it will greatly improve the game and thus sales, it would also help for future games as the same basics would be there to work with

Thanx

Thanks for taking time to look through this!

Favs

Stadiums fairly accurate
Unique goal kicking animations for certain players (need more though!)
Lions tour in 05 (maybe needs option for autumn and summer tours as well as more tournaments in general)
Rugby 04 set plays
World league (this time formatted more like madden franchise mode or fifa manager mode)

cons

Far too easy even on elite, the opposition just didnt attack and chose to kick back to you every time
Star player too good, seeing wilko or carter kick from their twenty to to opposition 5 metre line
ruck and scrum system, no contest
flawed roster, players out of postion and no updates
poor physics, players getting tackled mid air in the try area or in the middle of making a kick

Cheers

STAR RATINGS vs LEGENDS
If the Star Ratings were to be scrapped perhaps another option would be to introduce 20 Unlock-able LEGENDS after winning the World Cup with that country. The players could be drafted into any team or create your own team.

My proposed Legends would include:
Wales: Gareth Edwards, Jonathan Davies, JPR Williams
England: Jason Leonard, Jeremy Guscott, Martin Johnson
Ireland: Keith Wood, Willie John McBride,
Scotland: Gavin Hastings, Ian McGeechan
Aus: David Campese, Michael Lynagh, John Eals
NZ: Jonah Lomu, Sean Fitzpatrick, Zinzan Brooke
SA: Joost Van Westhuizen, Francois Pienaar, Os du Randt

Five favourite things

World League BABY! I have pumped about 400+ hours into this thing over the last three years. I play it more than any PS3 game.
Variety of players, a lot of different players in this game, each with individual stats, makes it quite cool to play World League, as each time is different.
The handoff, dropping your shoulder, the sidestep, this all comes together nicely, you need good timing to pull these off and really add to your attacking arsenal.
The scrum options and lineout options from rugby 04 was the best out of any.
Miss passing

Five least favourite things

Biased stats towards the English, Irish and Welsh (way overrated). Also the names of the French players in 08 was just rubbish
How the players follow the ball carrier, ever scored a try with 29 players running behind you in real life? They all seem to follow you and group together.
Inbalanced punting, how some can kick 80m+ and most can kick 10m+ into touch.
The size of the pitch is a bit inaccurate with the player scaling, players are pretty big but yet there is too much room on the sides.
The lack of options for backline moves and where to put players. Customizable moves would be the best thing you could ever do for this game.

The reason this game was too easy, is because of the field and player scaling, it was too easy for a fast player to run outside a player and you could easily get a try on Elite. Also, the kicking of the opposition was bad, if they are in their 22 they only get maybe 10-20m advantage.

The game was pretty cool, only a couple of things were not cool : the level is too easy (some french guys have made a patch to make the game harder and it works quite well !!!) and if you could, change the drop goal system (take back the one from rugby 06).

But finally, if you took the fifa engine to make the same rugby as 08 on ps3 but updated, it would be an amazing game !!! And it would let you one more year to change a little bit of things, but not that much finally.

Thanks for being on the forum with gamer and pleaaaaaaase : just one picture...

5 Favourite from 08

1. The Offloads
2. Quick passes
3. Star players
4. Being able to set the defensive mode
5. Overall the graphics were good for ps2 I thought

Least Favourite from 08

1. That there was no lions tour
2. Making a break, getting tackled and turning it over when the defensive team is on the back foot!
3. Having to scroll through entire teams to get to the fullbacks in the country player lists
4. All of the kicking minus maybe goal kicking which was alright. As for the grubber, punt and drop goal ...
5. Lack of AI, even on elite playing against the Baba's stacked with all the star players at twickenham it was a bit too easy.

Favourite:

Good selection of licensed leagues
Rosters generally up-to-date
Fun gameplay

Least Favourite:

Poor AI
Poor tackling system (is it really realistic se see players flying all over the pitch?)
No decent edit features
The Haka was not updated
Little custom content - leagues, teams, tournaments
No online play

Favourite:

Good selection of licensed leagues
Rosters generally up-to-date
Fun gameplay

Least Favourite:

Poor AI
Poor tackling system (is it really realistic se see players flying all over the pitch?)
No decent edit features
The Haka was not updated
Little custom content - leagues, teams, tournaments
No online play

Is that a joke!?

Positves:
+ play plenty of tournaments.
+offloading in tackles( needs to be more advanced though so not that easy)
+stadiums
+moves are creative and easy to use.

Negatives:
+create a player must be more advanced from more boots type to hair styles and adding skills
Such as side stepping to hand offs etc. Makes players more unique.

+manager mode must be more like Fifa where players improve from good games played and you
can sighn up sponsorshhips and send scouts around the world to find new players.

+games is to easy, can always score a try with the outside centre if he quick.

+create moves with eigth man from the scrum and lineouts

Five Favourite Things

- Good goal kicking system
- Star Players
- Set pieces, especially in Rugby 04
- Lions tour in 05
- The principle of the challenge mode, and world league, but in reality the execution of them both was quite poor

Bad Points

-Unrepresentative stats for lots of players, seemed like developers weren't knowledgeable enough about the game
- One team couldn't really dominate scrums or mauls, even if their scrummaging rating was much higher. There should be one team whose scrum is under pressure all the way through the match, and players like Sheridan, Euan Murray and Hayman should be able to take apart weaker scrumagers like Healy.
- Some star players broke too many tackles, for instance when it was a back against a forward. Similarly, some forwards didn't break enough tackles.
- Unrealistic appearances for players, with there seemingly being no attempt at all to represent some players, for instance strettle, bald with tape?
- Some fly halves could kick the ball unrealistically far, such as wilkinson and carter who always kicked it over 50 yards.

of course the game was also far too easy, with up and unders almost always leading to a try. as well as this the computer ai was poor with their whole 15 chasing your one player quite often.

an edit mode where you could edit appearance as well as stats would resolve my first and fourth point.

oh and one more thing, i will be disappointed if scotland players like beattie, barkley, cussiter, blair and murray are not rated very highly, just because of an assumption that scotland are 'rubbish' at rugby, because right now there isn't a better back row than the scottish one, there isn't a better tighthead in the world except maybe hayman, and it would show the ignorance of the developers to rugby if they didn't give them a fair representation. and this is coming from an england fan. also remember the welsh finished 4th again this 6 nations, and they were lucky to finish that highly, so don't make them out to be world beaters.

do all of that and you'd have a pretty decent game, the edit mode is crucial though i think. thank you for listening to us.

Fav:
1. Set plays
2. Stadiums
3. Quick penalties/lineouts

Least fav:
1. Not being able to play with whatever team you want on World League
2. Too easy
3. Rediculous turnovers when when forwards are right there at the ruck
4. Predictability of AI
5. Not much licensing

Positives:
Being able to choose the 4 set plays and map them to the controller
Being able to pick your squad before a tournament
Quick lineouts

Negatives
Rucking system not reflecting the players involved or teams' momentum
Players being out of position playing terribly-centres can fill in on the wing without dropping everything
Rosters being horribly out of date and player abilities inaccurate
Lack of club and international teams (Top 14, Magners League)
Too Easy

Bad Points

-Unrepresentative stats for lots of players, seemed like developers weren't knowledgeable enough about the game
- One team couldn't really dominate scrums or mauls, even if their scrummaging rating was much higher. There should be one team whose scrum is under pressure all the way through the match, and players like Sheridan, Euan Murray and Hayman should be able to take apart weaker scrumagers like Healy.
- Some star players broke too many tackles, for instance when it was a back against a forward. Similarly, some forwards didn't break enough tackles.
- Unrealistic appearances for players, with there seemingly being no attempt at all to represent some players, for instance strettle, bald with tape?
- Some fly halves could kick the ball unrealistically far, such as wilkinson and carter who always kicked it over 50 yards.

of course the game was also far too easy, with up and unders almost always leading to a try. as well as this the computer ai was poor with their whole 15 chasing your one player quite often.

an edit mode where you could edit appearance as well as stats would resolve my first and fourth point.

oh and one more thing, i will be disappointed if scotland players like beattie, barkley, cussiter, blair and murray are not rated very highly, just because of an assumption that scotland are 'rubbish' at rugby, because right now there isn't a better back row than the scottish one, there isn't a better tighthead in the world except maybe hayman, and it would show the ignorance of the developers to rugby if they didn't give them a fair representation. and this is coming from an england fan. also remember the welsh finished 4th again this 6 nations, and they were lucky to finish that highly, so don't make them out to be world beaters.

do all of that and you'd have a pretty decent game, the edit mode is crucial though i think. thank you for listening to us.

Totally agree with your points. An edit more is essential. All major sports ***les include these now so the developers really should be looking at including one.

Plus I totally agree with your Scotland point. It is the same with any of the lower tier teams on the previous ***les. Even if the team had good individuals in real life (i.e. Italy) they would still be potrayed as rubbish on the game just because their team are known for 'not-being-as-good-as-Australia-or-New Zealand' etc. I mean seriously just because Fiji aren't the greatest team doesn't mean their fly half is absolutely hopeless at goal kicking. This balance should be reflected in the player stats and the team stats overall.

I know im supposed to list 5 fav things and 5 things i didnt like but i thought id just add this in. I think that HB studios have goten better with every game just a few things that should be abit more accurate like grubbers it shouldnt take so long to put through a grubber kick I mean in real life along with the chip its the quickest type of kick to pull off. Id really like to see chip kicks brought in I havnt played rugby league 3 but ive heard the chip kick is real accurate.

Things I think should be improved

1. Kicks I think general play kicking was fine I didnt mind it if you tried to get too many meters by holding it down longer you risked getting tackled or your kick being charged down which is realistic. I would like to see chip kicks brought in and to be excuted well with players who have the skill to do so. Grubbers should be easier to pull off.I think the ball physics for the box kick were pretty good the ball sat up nicely sometimes. I think grubbers n chips should be the same they should sit up nicely sometimes.

2. Creation mode I liked the idea that you could use real players faces to create ur own player from 04 maybe add in alot more faces and options like hairstyles. probably have a quick look around at the trends of players in the game today and add em in. Fifas got great creation mode as far as faces skin tone and hairstyles go.

3. Players need accurate stats. Guys like Quade Cooper, Anthony Tuitavake, lelia Masaga, morne steyn etc. Also roster accuracy player likeness and accurate stats.

5 positive:
- Range of stadiums
- Range of teams
- Rugby 2004 different weather conditions can be applied for every stadium
- Lions tour
- World league mode

5 negative:
- No licence for players and teams names (especially French top 14 in rugby 06)
- Generic faces
- No realistic weather conditions, it would be good to see the rain or the snow falling or pouring
- Some players and teams are never available in the World league mode
- public in 2D

• World league . It was good too play it and would injoy more if currie cup, lions tour , nz cup, aus cand etc would be added along with Guinness premiership like fifa manager mode where we can transfer players olso
• World cup was great
• Stadiums very nice
• Sevens should be there aswel
• Create a legend would be great like in pes 2010 . where u start from the bottom and work your way up
• Players should be ranked according to there real life performance . kitts on game should be the same aas it will be from now on
Will think off more

Latest posts