• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

favourite actor?

al is very good, great in godfather movies, as for de nero - wouldnt use goodfellas as an example - maybie because i watched it after the godfather but it just seemed lame.

for me - jack nickleson. f***ing awesome actor. shining and a stunning preformance in one flew out of the choochoos nest. watched the start of wolf and didnt look too bad, but has nemorus great movies.

"YOU WANT THE TRUTH? YOU CANT HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!" hahaha great stuff.

speaking of which, old tom cruse isnt bad. enjoyed days of thunder etc.
[/b]

Goodfellas isnt lame its got to be 1 of the best films of all time. Anyone agree?

<div class='quotemain'>
al is very good, great in godfather movies, as for de nero - wouldnt use goodfellas as an example - maybie because i watched it after the godfather but it just seemed lame.

for me - jack nickleson. f***ing awesome actor. shining and a stunning preformance in one flew out of the choochoos nest. watched the start of wolf and didnt look too bad, but has nemorus great movies.

"YOU WANT THE TRUTH? YOU CANT HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!" hahaha great stuff.

speaking of which, old tom cruse isnt bad. enjoyed days of thunder etc.
[/b]

Goodfellas isnt lame its got to be 1 of the best films of all time. Anyone agree?
[/b][/quote]

I do agree, it's my favourite movie of all time. Joe Pesci also gave the best acting performance of all time, he blew De Niro and Liota off the stage.

Agree with the above, Pesci was great in Goodfellas, although it's a shame I thought the movie sucked.
A Clockwork Orange is a great movie with Malcolm McDowell. Not the best performance ever, but still excellent.
Also, Jack Nicholson's performance in The Shining was legendary.

Agree with the above, Pesci was great in Goodfellas, although it's a shame I thought the movie sucked.
A Clockwork Orange is a great movie with Malcolm McDowell. Not the best performance ever, but still excellent.
[/b]
Im gobsmacked that anyone can say Goodfellas sucks, Clockwork Orange is good but not in the same bracket of movie as Scorcese`s masterpiece.Im surprised no one has mentioned De neros performance in the Deer Hunter as That was him at his very best . Even better than Raging Bull.

Daniel day-lewis was awsome in "In the name of the father". Dont think ive seen a better performance.
[/b]

He's probably only bettered it himself in My Left Foot or Gangs of New York, surrounded by average actors in Diaz and DiCaprio and he still manages to put in an astounding performance but I don't think personally that anything will better his performance in My Left Foot and he probably got that little bit extra from the support roles of Fiona Shaw and Brenda Fricker.

Am looking forward to seeing There Will Be Blood, thrilled to see him get an Oscar for a relatively normal role, and not for the usual Academy stereotype of someone who has some sort of disability to deal with in their role.

[/b]

As Danny said, I am also gobsmacked as to why people (very few I might add) think Goodfellas sucks. Not one bad performance in the whole movie, but each to his own I guess...

A Clockwork Orange is a classic and Malcolm McDowell was awesome, I am also gobsmacked as to why this movie is globally hated as much as it is. Yes it is violent etc, but it's a work of art and in my opinion you'd have to be pretty dimwitted not to recognise this movie for what it's worth. Another one of my all time favourites.

i cant say its a "bad" movie, i just think that its best watched, if you havent seen the godfather.

the godfather is quite serious. where as goodfellas is almost lighthearted.

i cant say its a "bad" movie, i just think that its best watched, if you havent seen the godfather.

the godfather is quite serious. where as goodfellas is almost lighthearted.
[/b]

Fair enough, I suppose if your not a huge mafia/gangster movie fan everything bar The Godfather is not as good. I actually enjoyed Goodfellas more to be honest, had a bit of everything and I think the acting was on the same level. Plus, Joe Pesci is the mantis so he automatically gets my vote lol.

I love Goodfellas, and agree about Joe Pesci, however I think Al Pacino gives an absolutely stunning performance in The Godfather.

The beauty of it is how he transforms from a generally nice guy with a seemingly more immoral family, to a seriously scary mafia don. It takes a great actor to transform his character so drastically and successfully over the course of one movie.

I love Goodfellas, and agree about Joe Pesci, however I think Al Pacino gives an absolutely stunning performance in The Godfather.

The beauty of it is how he transforms from a generally nice guy with a seemingly more immoral family, to a seriously scary mafia don. It takes a great actor to transform his character so drastically and successfully over the course of one movie.
[/b]

EXACTLY. Best description I've read. Pacino's performance in The Godfather makes his other appearances in Scarface, Carlito's Way, Serpico etc look sub-par, even if they're not.

But all the other actors performances made what The Godfather is to this day. Roles such as Luca Brasi, Clemenza, Tessio, Solazzo etc were brief but they are some of the most memorable characters in the history of cinema. Especially Clemenza, I love that guy.

<div class='quotemain'>
Daniel day-lewis was awsome in "In the name of the father". Dont think ive seen a better performance.
[/b]

He's probably only bettered it himself in My Left Foot or Gangs of New York, surrounded by average actors in Diaz and DiCaprio and he still manages to put in an astounding performance but I don't think personally that anything will better his performance in My Left Foot and he probably got that little bit extra from the support roles of Fiona Shaw and Brenda Fricker.

Am looking forward to seeing There Will Be Blood, thrilled to see him get an Oscar for a relatively normal role, and not for the usual Academy stereotype of someone who has some sort of disability to deal with in their role.
[/b][/quote]
Watched "my left foot" this afternoon on your recommendation and I have to agree with you.It was always a film that I wanted to watch but never got the chance. My dad got it free with one of the Sunday newspapers last week. What a result. If anyone else out there hasnt seen it please do as it is a gem. Cant wait for "Let There be Blood".

<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

[/b][/quote]
Watched "my left foot" this afternoon on your recommendation and I have to agree with you.It was always a film that I wanted to watch but never got the chance. My dad got it free with one of the Sunday newspapers last week. What a result. If anyone else out there hasnt seen it please do as it is a gem. Cant wait for "Let There be Blood".
[/b][/quote]

I think cause he takes method acting to the extreme he's able to get that extra something out of his performances, for My Left Foot all during filming he spent so much time crouched over in his wheelchair that he broke his ribs, he also spent 2 years training with Barry McGuigan for The Boxer, can't deny the man's dedication.

I remember hearing an interview with McGuigan and he said that Day-Lewis was at the level of fighting for the British ***le when filming was over.

I remember hearing an interview with McGuigan and he said that Day-Lewis was at the level of fighting for the British ***le when filming was over.
[/b]

Wouldn't surprise me, wouldn't have wanted to be around him when he was preparing for the role of Bill the Butcher!

Im gobsmacked that anyone can have a different opinion to me.
[/b]

:blink: You meant that ^ clearly. I just didn't get into the movie. I'm not a big fan of gangster movies anyway, although, I did enjoy The Godfather and Pulp Fiction.
P.S. I exaggerated when I said it "sucked" although. The acting was great, but I just didn't find the movie itself that great.

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

:blink: You meant that ^ clearly. I just didn't get into the movie. I'm not a big fan of gangster movies anyway, although, I did enjoy The Godfather and Pulp Fiction.
P.S. I exaggerated when I said it "sucked" although. The acting was great, but I just didn't find the movie itself that great.
[/b][/quote]

I said i was gobsmacked that anyone could think that Goodfellas could suck. As always if I disagree with you it doesnt matter cos its only an opinion. Godfather is my fav movie of all time but Goodfellas is a close 2nd of the gangster genre.

<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

[/b][/quote]

I said i was gobsmacked that anyone could think that Goodfellas could suck. As always if I disagree with you it doesnt matter cos its only an opinion. Godfather is my fav movie of all time but Goodfellas is a close 2nd of the gangster genre.
[/b][/quote]
The Godfather part 2 and Pulp Fiction have something to say about that. :rahh:

<div class='quotemain'>surrounded by average actors in...DiCaprio... [/b]

Are you serious?
You consider DiCaprio to an average actor?
That baffles me. Truly...
[/b][/quote]

Yeah I stand by it, he's had his moments but given some of the actors who have been mentioned in this thread he's certainly not in their league and yes is average by comparison.

However put Keanu Reaves and Tom Cruise in and Di Caprio is a class above!

<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]
The Godfather part 2 and Pulp Fiction have something to say about that. :rahh:
[/b][/quote]
Godfather 2 is quite superb but i would consider the following movies all superior to Pulp Fiction as gangster films:
Mean streets
Once apon a time in America
City of God
White Heat
Scarface.

Im not knocking Pulp Fiction cos It is an exellent film but I think the above movies are only bettered by Goodfellas and the God father trilogy in the gangster genre.