• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Favourite and Least Favourite Rugby Commentators...

Bill McClaren was definitely the king of them all, sadly we'll not see the like of him again (I miss the old school sports commentators such as Bill and Hugh Johns).

Eddie Butler and Brian Moore are definitely 'The Odd Couple', but I like both of them and they balance each other off. Eddie's calmness v Brian's no punches pulled is great, and both make very relevant points.

Jiffy is Jiffy - he's likeable enough but does drone on at times.

The one I don't like, although not a commentator per se, is Sonia McLoughlin - I find her style of interviewing rude and abrasive.

I think Moore and Butler are the best pairing, mostly because Moore is like the people at home ranting and Butler tries to be Mr Diplomatic (although I have noticed a tendency to put a negative spin on anything England do whenever he can). Also hate is pseudo-poetry before games, it's just ****.

I don't mind the Scottish guy either (not sure of his name but he did the last Eng-Scot game). Impartial and enthusiastic.

The worst, probably Barnes and Jiffy. Barnes just talks complete ******** and seems to have a list of 3 or 4 players who he will award MotM to and doesn't look beyond them. Jiffy isn't supposed to be a commentator but he just takes over and doesn't even attempt to be impartial. Watching the Eng-Wales game was particularly bad because you had Jiffy being the Wales cheerleader and Butler more mildly praising Wales and criticising England, the entire commentary was pro-Welsh. The only good bit was there Jiffy was squeaking away and said "oh that's terrible" and Moore went "if you're Welsh".

Also Aussies commentators are just ****, all of them are like Jiffy with a bad attitude thrown on top. Completely biased, poor understanding of the laws (or certainly like to ignore them when not in their favour) and more likely to whinge about something than praise the opposition, especially if it's England.

Bill McClaren was definitely the king of them all, sadly we'll not see the like of him again (I miss the old school sports commentators such as Bill and Hugh Johns).

Eddie Butler and Brian Moore are definitely 'The Odd Couple', but I like both of them and they balance each other off. Eddie's calmness v Brian's no punches pulled is great, and both make very relevant points.

Jiffy is Jiffy - he's likeable enough but does drone on at times.

The one I don't like, although not a commentator per se, is Sonia McLoughlin - I find her style of interviewing rude and abrasive.
Completely agree regarding Sonia McLoughlin, she's incredibly irritating and her use of the phrase 'hard lines' to whoever has lost is particularly grating.

I can't stand Nisbo, (Nisbet) Ian Smith, or the numpty Justin Marshall.
Nisbo comes across as smug and self entitled and that winds me up. The AB's play on a game by game basis and the commentating should reflect that.
Sack all three of them.
I used to loathe Mexted as well, what an unadulterated idiot.
The jury is out for me on who could do the job well but we can't really do it any worse.
Can we not, please, have some intelligence in the Kiwi commentator cabinet.??
I'd like to see them introduce a Kiwi rugby loving comedian and let them have a go at it.
Bring the fun.
Flight of the Concorde or something like that.

Our commentating is generally a disgrace by international standards.
There is no sense of humour, but that requires an element of intelligence.
It has reached a point where I turn off the commentary if it's Kiwi commentators, thay are appalling.
I would rather hear the one eyed opposition commentators than our insufferable morons.

I'm not a fan of the Aussie commentators but... they do make me laugh, albeit mostly at them.
Kearns is a goat in sheeps clothing. So biased he can't be taken seriously.

Brian Moore is a British bulldog. Frighteningly one eyed and unbelievably biased but I don't mind that, because he's usually accurate in his reading of the English game.
Eddie Butler cannot hide his patriotism and it gets quite stirring at times. I don't mind that either. You have to back your team. He's a good speaker and often chimes in with material that describes a series of plays over a 5 minute period overview rather than a straight out pass by pass commentary.
I like Johnny Wilkinson as a pundit and Guscott as well.
I don't mind Jonathan Davies as a pundit because he is Welsh to the core and you have to back your team. I almost never agree with his MotM assessment.
Woodward = yawn factor. Replace him with Greenwood who is passionate and biased and therefore much more entertaining.

The south Africans make me laugh because they are hideously bias. They always make me laugh.

Bill Maclaren.
Untouchable class.

I'd like to see them introduce a Kiwi rugby loving comedian and let them have a go at it.
Bring the fun.
Flight of the Concorde or something like that.

Really well put, agree with so much. But especially would love to see the Flight of the Concorde idea too!

I don't know who he is but I'm on the way home to live so I'll get to know him soon, just left Penang after a week and the family are now off to perth in WA for 9 days as we head into the run toward Aotearoa for the 20th December. Writing this missive from Changi airport in Singapore, waiting for a midnight flight to perth and my 3 year old son has just been given coke to drink by his older brother, Graaaahhhhh, great flight this will be....

Latest posts