• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Feeding into the scrum

Festo

Academy Player
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
England
I'm watching Wales v Uruguay, the ref gave a penalty against Uruguay for feeding into the scrum. I have watched most of the games so far and nearly every scrum has as been fed. I thought that this was going to be addressed and was one of the areas of the game they were going to tighten up on. If the organisers and referees can't police this rule, then at least lets have some consistency. What are the linesman doing during a game, so much is being missed or referred to the TMO, the linesman are almost redundant.

I'm with you on this mate. I saw this incident on tele and immediately said to my son that it was the first time in around 6 games that a ref had given a penner for feathering the scrum. And it has been happening since game one.

I read in the Sunday Times where they interviewed John Jefferey of World Rugby that they have now told the referees that scrum halves at this RWC can have their left shoulder in line with mark and can then feed the ball into the tunnel closer to their hooker. It boils down to the fear that hookers are afraid to lift their leg to hook the ball, because they think it'll then be 8 v 7 shove and they don't want the ball to get stuck in the tunnel, with hookers not hooking the ball.

It makes a mockery of the rule that it has to be fed in the middle of the tunnel and allow a contest for the ball. At the end of the day, the hooker should not fear having to lift his leg, as there shouldn't be any pushing until the ball is fed into the tunnel.

Last edited:
Japan seemed perfectly capable of doing it properly against the Saffa scrum.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/guides/zwdxp39

Scroll down to Brian Moore's video no.4 What's gone wrong with the scrum? @40 seconds - a straight feed into a scrum and a hooker hooking the ball back. I'd forgotten what one looked like after watching so many matches at this RWC.

This is one of my three biggest pet peeves regarding rugby reffing at the moment, along with skew throwing in the line-out and players getting back up after they have been tackled.

It wont be long before the scrummage is the same as in Rugby League.Not much point in calling the hooker a hooker really.

Contested scrums is part of the rules of rugby league . It's just a gentleman's agreement for non contest scrums.

How about not having scrums for knock ons and just have a tap and go ?
Or have the referee feed the scrum ? That would probably give a few more minutes game time over the 80!

As noted by others and Brian Moore is his telegraph column. If Japan can do it against SA why can't anyone else? The answer is they can but team aren't interested in quick ball from a scrum they are interested in trying to force the other team to concede a penalty.

As noted by others and Brian Moore is his telegraph column. If Japan can do it against SA why can't anyone else? The answer is they can but team aren't interested in quick ball from a scrum they are interested in trying to force the other team to concede a penalty.

Correct and that is down to the coach!!

They are the problem and always will be as can you imagine their reaction to the scrummie if he put it in straight and it went against the head!!

Really don't see the big deal with a feed. As long as it's not too blatant it seems the easiest way to speed up the Scrummage. As long as it's within reason I think the refs should be lenient. And this is coming from a a prop!!
After all, the team who puts it in is supposed to have a slight advantage

Just go to league-style scrums. No more wasting time and controversies. There's plenty of place for physicality in rucks, mauls and line-outs anyway.

Or make the referee feed the ball.

Really don't see the big deal with a feed. As long as it's not too blatant it seems the easiest way to speed up the Scrummage. As long as it's within reason I think the refs should be lenient. And this is coming from a a prop!!
After all, the team who puts it in is supposed to have a slight advantage

And do away with the forward pass rule and put on padding and helmets and change the name to American football while you are at it.............

And do away with the forward pass rule and put on padding and helmets and change the name to American football while you are at it.............

To be fair, the "ball crossing the line" rule in American football will come in rugby when people will be fed up of TMO-ing any pack battle collapsed in the end zone.

Was this supposed to be a reply to the next comment? All I've squad is that a slightly crooked feed isn't the end of the world. You've really picked that up and run with it if that's really your train of thought :p

Latest posts