• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Fiji vs Australia

J

Juggernaut

Both teams likely to field their 2nd XV this week. I just cant see us beating Australia but it will begood if we can score some tries, work a few combinations and test our lineout & scrum before we meet Wales.

Team will be named on Friday and I'm hoping a lineup like this fronts up against the Wallabies.

1. Alefoso Yalayalatabua
2. Bill Gadolo
3. Henry Qiodravu
4. Wame Lewaravu
5. Isoa Domolailai
6. Netani Talei
7. Aca Ratuva
8. Jone Qovu
9. Jone Daunivucu
10. Waisea Luveniyali
11. Filimoni Bolavucu
12. Gabriele Lovobalavu
13. Maleli Kunavore
14. Filimoni Delasau
15. Norman Ligairi

16. Jone Railomo, 17. Vereniki Sauturaga, 18. Iferemi Rawaqa, 19. Semisi Naevo, 20. Mosese Rauluni, 21. Seremaia Bai, 22. Kameli Ratuvou

Fiji's starting # 11 winger Isoa Neivua has not proved that he deserves the # 11 Jersey.
He has had a few strong runs here and there but has yet to stake his presence on the Fiji team.
I found the Canadian winger exploiting Neivua's weakness by grubber kicking behind Neivua and attaking Neivua's lack of defensive awareness and ability recover on defense.
Former Fiji coach Brad Johnstone said that Neivua and Rabeni seem uncomfortable at their positions.
Neivua has been unable to finish off Fiji's attack as of late and has not been notable at scoring tries.

Im hoping Filimoni Bolavucu can really challenge the Aussies on Sunday and get the nod from Fiji RWC selectors ahead of Neivua.

Im hoping for the following backline :
9. Jone Daunivucu
10. Waisea Luveniyali
11. Seru Rabeni
(wing suites Rabeni best because he is a greedy player and wants to score all the time, he hasnt been flowing the ball out to the wing at crucial times and seem to be uncomfortable at the center position.)
12.Gabby Lovobalavu
13.Maleli Kunavore
14.Filimoni Bolavucu
(Filimoni to finish off Maleli's attack with shear pace)
(Delasau does not complement Maleli Kunavore at this position because they have similar attaking styles)
15.Norman Ligairi.

Australia: 15 Chris Latham, 14 Drew Mitchell, 13 Adam Ashley-Cooper, 12 Matt Giteau, 11 Lote Tuqiri, 10 Berrick Barnes, 9 George Gregan (captain), 8 Wycliff Palu, 7 Phil Waugh, 6 Rocky Elsom, 5 Dan Vickerman, 4 Mark Chisholm, 3 Guy Shepherdson, 2 Stephen Moore, 1 Matt Dunning
Replacements: 16 Adam Freier, 17 Greg Holmes, 18 Hugh McMeniman, 19 Stephen Hoiles, 20 Sam Cordingley, 21 Scott Staniforth, 22 Julian Huxley

Looks like a big day for the Fijian forwards as the Aussies have shown their hands on what type of game-plan they will use.

will be interesting to see aac at outside, i thought they would have used staniforth. anyway good to see mark chisholm in his first on field start world cup game, hope he does well.

I would've preferred to have seen Hoiles start in this match due to his athleticism.

Anyways, it's great to see Adam Ashley-Cooper at outside centre. This at least means that he'll replace Mitchell on the wing for the important games.

It's just a shame that Mitchell wasn't dropped for Shepherd.

I was thinking maybe Knuckles would rest a good number of his key players this week, then brought them back next week against Canada to have a run before the 1/4s.

This would have been a good time to get the rustyness off some of his 2nd stringers just in case **** happens...oh! well.

I was thinking maybe Knuckles would rest a good number of his key players this week, then brought them back next week against Canada to have a run before the 1/4s.

This would have been a good time to get the rustyness off some of his 2nd stringers just in case **** happens...oh! well.
[/b]
Knuckles is an idiot...Huxley in the squard and Shepherd not, disgraceful!

If I was Knuckles I would have picked a team like this to get some game-time:

15. Julian Huxley, 14. Cameron Sheperd, 13. AAC, 12. Scott Staniforth, 11. Lote Tuqiri, 10. Beriick Barnes, 9. Sam Cordingley, 8. Wycliff Palu, 7. Phil Waugh, 6. Hugh McMeniman, 5. Mark Chisholm, 4. Dan Vickerman, 3. Matt Dunning, 2. Adam Freier, 1. Greg Holmes

Despite Fiji not picking their best XV, I think the Wallabies should show them the respect they deserve and field a pretty competitive team while still resting some key players.

I don't think the Australian team is too bad, however I probably would've done something in between what was picked and Juggernaut's team -

With Sharpe being rested they'll need McMeniman to be on the bench with Vickerman and Chisholm the two preferred locks.

Hopefully he'll get his chance against Canada.

Fiji aren't exactly renowned for their scrummaging so I thought it would've been the best opportunity for Holmes to return to the starting XV with Shepherdson who needs more game time after his injury.

Also, it would've been a perfect opportunity for Hoiles to start at no. 8 and then give Lyons a go there against Canada. That's unless Connolly is planning to play Hoiles at openside flanker against them?

I think it's important that Giteau is there so Barnes can work on his combination with him and Gregan.

Australia playing pretty much a full strength lineup, Phil Waugh gets a starting position, should be an easy win considering we beat them 49-0 playing our 2nd side.

WHo will be our kicker? Barnes or Giteua? Please say Barnes...

yer i would of liked to see staniforth at 12 or 13 maybe even on wing he needs game time, also shepard to fit in somewhere but just as much i think hoiles should start at 8 and maybe mcmenimen to start for elsom or vickerman

Its really unfair how the IRB chose WELSH referee Nigel Owens to Ref Fiji vs Australia.
This is evidence that the IRB don't want Fiji to upset Australia If Australia rest several key players.
Fiji have a better chance of winning this game without a Welsh ref because this ref could be biased against Fiji and spoil a surprise victory from Fiji in order to keep his Country in contengency for the Quarter final.
_41273060_nigel_owens203.jpg

Fiji's starting line-up.
Fiji: 15 Norman Ligairi, 14 Vilimoni Delasau, 13 Maleli Kunavore, 12 Seremaia Bai ©, 11 Isoa Neivua, 10 Waisea Luveniyali, 9 Jone Daunivucu, 8 Jone Qovu, 7 Aca Ratuva, 6 Netani Talei, 5 Ifereimi Rawaqa, 4 Isoa Domolailai, 3 Henry Qiodravu, 2 Vereniki Sauturaga, 1 Alefoso Yalayalatabua
Replacements: 16 Bill Gadolo, 17 Jone Railomo, 18 Wame Lewaravu, 19 Sisa Koyamaibole, 20 Mosese Rauluni, 21 Gabiriele Lovobalavu, 22 Seru Rabeni

Date: Sunday, September 23
Venue: Stade de la Mosson, Montpellier
Kick-off: 14:30 (13:30 BST, 12:30 GMT)
Referee: Nigel Owens
Touch judges: Christophe Berdos, Mark Lawrence
Television match official: Craig Joubert
Assessor: Bob Francis

Australia playing pretty much a full strength lineup, Phil Waugh gets a starting position, should be an easy win considering we beat them 49-0 playing our 2nd side.

WHo will be our kicker? Barnes or Giteua? Please say Barnes...
[/b]

Australia beat a Fiji F side...most of those players were local players playing in small villages and only 5 players from that game made it to this 30 man RWC squad so this Fiji squad is a totally different squad.

Despite Fiji not picking their best XV, I think the Wallabies should show them the respect they deserve and field a pretty competitive team while still resting some key players.

I don't think the Australian team is too bad, however I probably would've done something in between what was picked and Juggernaut's team -
[/b]

i agree with the above.

we shouldnt underestimate any opponents at this level . this tourno has continually shown the lesser teams really sticking it to the more pro teams. just look at sa and tonga.

will be interesting to see aac at outside, i thought they would have used staniforth. anyway good to see mark chisholm in his first on field start world cup game, hope he does well.
[/b]

The selectors see AAC as the future outside centre and even Mortlock gave him that ***le so not too surprised by the call.

AAC is def the right selection at 13. Staniforth when in the centres is usually at inside.

I would like to wish Fiji the best of luck vs Australia. Fiji are a team i love to watch and who sum up exactly what Pacific Islands rugby is all about.

I had the pleasure last night of attending a 200+ guest fijian birthday party at our local rugby club, which has strong connections with our local fijian community. Everyone was looking forward to the game today, and rightly so.

FIJI FIJI FIJI

Aus 55 v 12 Fiji
Well, Fiji played pretty damn well. Particularly at the breakdown. While they weren't able to get the quick ball they ultimately needed, they secured possession really well and caused the Wallabies plenty of problems. Their backs made some really nice runs and it was just handling that let them down at the end of the day. When they get their full strength side on the paddock I think they'll cause Wales some real headaches.
Having said that, Australia didn't play all that well at all. Their backline lacked direction alot of the time, which I guess is to be expected with both Larkham and Mortlock missing, and their handling was also poor. Far too many stupid mistakes. Need to step it up heading into the Canada game.

Well that was one of the worst games of the tournament - plenty of tries but no intensity.

Fiji were awful and the Wallabies were just going through the motions, never really got out of second gear.

It's obvious that the Fijians are saving themselves for the Taffs.