• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

FIJI vs JAPAN

Wow, this was a fun match to watch! I thought Fiji was going to win easily. If they keep playing like these, they will have a lot of problems with Canada! [/b]

After Japans loss to the Aussies, I thought it would be an easy game for us...then John Kirwan made 15 changes to the lineup and from there I started to have doubt whether we could win or not. Was plain to see that he had fielded his 2nd XV against the Aussies resting his key players for this crunch match...and what a match it was.

Big Kudos to the Japanese for their never say die attitude (team should be renamed from Cherry Blossoms to Kamikaze :) ). Their expat players definitely help them out a lot.

I was kinda disappointed at Rabeni, he was the one guy who most thought would be the guiding hand for our relatively inexperienced team but was the main player who had a very disappointing game.

Player Ratings:

1. Graham Dewes: 4

2. Sunia Koto: 6 (was surprised that most of our lineout went well)

3. Henry Qiodravu: 4

4. Kele Leawere: 5

5. Wame Lewaravu: 5

6. Semisi Naevo: 7

7. Akapusi Qera: 9

8. Sisa Koyamaibole: 3 (didnt even know he was playing)

9. Mosese Rauluni: 8

10. Nicky Little: 7

11. Isoa Neivua: 6

12. Seremaia Bai: 5

13. Seru Rabeni: 4

14. Filimoni Delasau: 1 (still at a loss in what the selectors see in him, cant tackle to save himself)

15. Kameli Ratuvou: 5

Um, the table at the top's wrong I think. Pretty sure Japan got a bonus point against Fiji for losing by less than 7.

Haha. Awesome. I heard this on BBC last night while i was falling asleep. I remember all the predictions Roots was making about how Fiji would thrash this and that. And the recent prediction of 69-7. I think its my time to say that all that was BULLSHIT! Haha ok no offence Roots. Now that all the dust has settled I think the Japs might really stad a chance of beating say Tonga in a year? And Fiji in four. Big ups to the Fijians. They didn't lose.

Changes I think Tabua should have made with the backs :

Replace Vilimoni Delasau with Filimoni Bolavucu at 14.
Move Kameli Ratuvou to # 11 and put Isoa Neivua on the bench.
Put Norman Ligairi back at Fullback.
Move Rabeni at Inside Center and Seramaia Bai at Outside Center

I have no idea who those players are! :p But seeing as how a Fijian fan is saying how it should be done, I think i'll just follow suit and say "Yea, Tabua should have made those changes." Not. Because if he had made those changes, Japan wouldn't have give Fiji a hard time.

Anyone think that this RWC will be the underdogs' opportunity to shine?

Haha. Awesome. I heard this on BBC last night while i was falling asleep. I remember all the predictions Roots was making about how Fiji would thrash this and that. And the recent prediction of 69-7. I think its my time to say that all that was BULLSHIT! Haha ok no offence Roots. Now that all the dust has settled I think the Japs might really stad a chance of beating say Tonga in a year? And Fiji in four. Big ups to the Fijians. They didn't lose.
[/b]

Japan will never be able to beat Fiji because they always kick away their ball possession to us.
Thanks for the bonus point :lol2tn:

The problem with Fiji was, in my opinion, pure and simple lack of tackle. They were dangerous with the ball in their hands, but they allowed lots of points from a weaker but corageous team. Let´s just hope they improve their game later on in this RWC. It´s always great watching Samoa, Fiji and Tonga doing well in this competition!

Japan will never be able to beat Fiji because they always kick away their ball possession to us.
Thanks for the bonus point :lol2tn: [/b]

Are you serious? After that performance Japan are dead set on their way to beating you guys next time.
Don't get so cocky...

Hell, i'm worried about them.

Now that all the dust has settled I think the Japs might really stad a chance of beating say Tonga in a year?

[/b]

didn't japan already beat tonga 20-17 in the pacific nations cup earlier in the year?

Yeah man, the Japs are definitely on the way up.

They've got some talented loosies and midfielders. That No.8 fly's in the face of any perceptions on Japanese physicality!

As said above, they do rely a bit on foreigners. But hey, who at this world cup doesn't (Nikki Little is NZ born).

Japan's main problem was in nearly every instance that they got a good turnover (and thier loosies were good enough to get alot) they didn't go for the throat with a running counter attack. Instead they kicked for territory and missed many opportunities to score tries.

Conversly, Fiji always looked to take those opportunities but were let down by some individual errors.

Good, entertaining game, Well done to the Fijians but kudos to Japan, john Kirwin has done a good job in installing a never say die attitude into japan. I dont think Delasau is as bad as what you make him out to be, he made a few handy runs in the first half. I was very impressed by Akapusi Qera had a blinder of a game (has pace to burn for a flanker), as was Nicky Little. Where was Ifereimi Rawaqa, Id thought he was the number 1 lock for the team. Seru Rabeni had a really disipointing dropped three passes in a row at the start of the game.Also winger Neivua strikes me as a poor mans Caucau.

Yeah man, the Japs are definitely on the way up.

They've got some talented loosies and midfielders. That No.8 fly's in the face of any perceptions on Japanese physicality!

As said above, they do rely a bit on foreigners. But hey, who at this world cup doesn't (Nikki Little is NZ born).

Japan's main problem was in nearly every instance that they got a good turnover (and thier loosies were good enough to get alot) they didn't go for the throat with a running counter attack. Instead they kicked for territory and missed many opportunities to score tries.

Conversly, Fiji always looked to take those opportunities but were let down by some individual errors.
[/b]
But Nicky Little's has the Fijian Blood in him.

:D How bout a bet the next time the teams meet again? :bleh!:
[/b]

Maybe