• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Each countries greatest XV

How about Italy Melhor ?

I'll do an Italy team

15.Andrea Masi, Italy have never been blessed at 15, so Masi gets in despite not playing there for long

14. Kaine Robertson, not many options only other player I considered is Vaccari

13.Gonzalo Canale, been first choice 13 for quite a while now

12.Cristian Stoica, Italy's best outside back when they first joined the 6N

11.Mirco Bergamasco, probably Italy's best outside back here, is currently the first back on the team sheet

10.Diego Domínguez, Italy have missed him ever since he retired...

9.Alessandro Troncon, ...likewise Troncon, although I was impressed with Semenzato during the 6N this year

1.Andrea Lo Cicero, could be either him or Perugini

2.Leonardo Ghiraldini, Schalk Brits like hooker, very fast and used to play sevens, edges Ongaro and Festuccia
3.Martín Castrogiovanni, this selection is obvious

4.Carlo Checchinato, played a key role in the Italy team that won them a chance to play in the 6N

5.Marco Bortolami, good leader in the middle years of last decade, has now been surpassed by Geldenhuys and del Fava

6.Massimo Giovanelli, read Checchinato, only played one match last decade but fits the selection criteria from the first post

7.Mauro Bergamasco, has been Italy's first choice since 1998

8.Sergio Parisse, Italy's greatest player, leads the current team by example

good Samoa team, but can you read the first post and change it so all the players have at least played a match from 2000, I would be really interested to see what that team would look like
1 Saukari Taulafo - Not a position we've had too much depth at. but after watching the end of year tests, IMO Taulafo has been the best Scrummager we've had at loosehead in the last decade.
2 Trevor Leota - Ti'i Paulo I feel may overtake him in the years to come, but for now Trevor Leota is still the man. Was good and accurate come lineout time and another big hitter for Samoa. Another who added to Samoas reputation for bone shattering tackles.
3 Cencus Johnston - Would be up with the worlds elite props if he could scrummage as good as the rest of his all round game. Is great in the loose, carries the ball well and has good pace for a man of his size too. Also capable of producing big hits.
4 Opeta Palepoi - Another position we havent had too much depth at. Tossing up between him Felipo Levi and Kane Thompson as our key lineout option, but from what I remember from seeing him at the 2003 RWC. Palepoi gets the nod.
5 Joe Tekori - Not the best lineout option, but def the best impact player we've produced at that position for as long as I can remember. Very dangerous in the loose with ball in hand.
6 Maurie Fa'asavalu - Was one of their best players during Samoas 2003 RWC campaign. Was lost to Rugby League a short time after where he was successful and represented England. He has since made his return to union this year where it seems he hasnt lost his step.
7 Semo Sititi (Captain) - Was a great leader on and off the pitch since Pat Lam relinquished the role. Since his retirement, Samoa has struggled to find a permanant Captain capable like he was to lead the Manu.
8 Henry Tuilagi - Devastating ball runner, Runs and hits like a bulldozer. Like his brothers, is a big hitting tackler.
9 Kahn Fotuali'i - Only started to play for Samoa last year, but from what I've seen he has been very impressive. Does all the things well at that position (Distribution, Box Kicking, Sniping, Defence, Player Coordination, Decision Making). With a little bit more experience I believe he will be Samoas captain in the near future.
10 Loki Crichton - Have not had too many quality first fives but Crichton gets the nod from me. He was always solid playing Fly Half for Samoa, if not spectacular and his goal kicking was always pretty good at international level.(Originaly chose Earl Va'a but had a change of mind while re-editing).
11 Alesana Tuilagi - Destructive ball runner who runs like the wind for a man his size. Runs over opposition defenders consistently when at full stretch and is also a bone shattering tackler. Samoas version of Jonah lomu.
12 Brian Lima -
Nobody puts on a hit like 'The Chiropractor'. The greatest ever tackler I've ever seen playing Union (or League). Had good pace in his prime as a wing but was probably more suited in the centres in the later stages of his career post 2000. Ran the ball well but will always be remembered for his tackling skills.
13 Seilala Mapasua - Def the best option we've had in the Centres for a long time.
14 Lome Fa'atau - Was a great player at club level who at times didnt play to his full potential for Samoa. Wasnt the best defensively but was very elusive and had plenty of speed to burn. Was a try scoring machine playing for The Hurricanes at super rugby level.
15 Paul Williams
- Samoas first real world class fullback in a long time. Runs and defends well, and has a decent boot. Should be Samoas goal kicker for this RWC bar injury.

I originally Had Terry Fanolua in the centres, But I thought about it and Brian Lima post 2000 was too slow to play wing. I couldnt leave him out soo he takes Fanoluas place in the centres with mapasua. I also Replaced Earl Va'a with Loki Chricton at first five. Others considered and unlucky to miss out are Kasiano Lealemanua (Loosehead Prop), Mahonri Schwalger (Hooker), Anthony Perenise (Tighthead Prop), Felipo Levi (Lock), Kane Thompson (Lock), Leo Lafaiali'i (Lock), Dan Leo (Lock/Flanker), George Stowers (Flanker/Numer 8), Steve So'oialo (Scrum Half), Junior Poluleuligaga (Scrum Half), Uale Mai (Scrum Half), Eliota-Fuimaono Sapolu (Centre/Fly Half), Elvis Seveali'i (Centre), Sailosi Tagicakibau (Wing), David Lemi (Wing), Tanner Vili (Fullback/ Fly Half), Gavin Williams (Fullback/Centre).

Last edited:
1 Saukari Taulafo - Not a position we've had too much depth at. but after watching the end of year tests, IMO Taulafo has been the best Scrummager we've had at loosehead in the last decade.
2 Trevor Leota - Ti'i Paulo I feel may overtake him in the years to come, but for now Trevor Leota is still the man. Was good and accurate come lineout time and another big hitter for Samoa.
3 Cencus Johnston - Would be up with the worlds elite props if he could scrummage as good as the rest of his all round game. Has good pace for a man of his size too.
4 Opeta Palepoi - Another position we havent had too much depth at. Tossing up between him Felipo Levi and Kane Thompson as our key lineout option, but from what I remember from seeing him at the 2003 RWC. Palepoi gets the nod.
5 Joe Tekori - Not the best lineout option, but def the best impact player we've produced at that position for as long as I can remember.
6 Maurie Fa'asavalu - Was one of their best players during Samoas 2003 RWC campaign. Was lost to Rugby League a short time after where he was successful and represented England. He has since made his return to union this year where it seems he hasnt lost his step.
7 Semo Sititi (Captain) - Was a great leader on and off the pitch since Pat Lam relinquished the role. Since his retirement, Samoa has struggled to find a premanant Captain capable like he was to lead the Manu.
8 Henry Tuilagi - Devastating ball runner, Runs and hits like a bulldozer.
9 Kahn Fotuali'i - Only started to play for Samoa last year, but from what I've seen he has been very impressive. Does all the things well at that position (Distribution, Box Kicking, Sniping, Defence, Player Coordination, Decision Making). With a little bit more experiance I believe he will be Samoas captain in the near future.
10 Loki Chricton - Have not had too many quality first fives but Chricton gets the nod from me. He was always solid playing Fly Half for Samoa, if not spectacular and his goal kicking was always pretty good at international level.(Originaly chose Earl Va'a but had a change of mind while re-editing).
11 Alesana Tuilagi - Destructive ball runner who runs like the wind for a man his size. Samoas version of Jonah lomu.
12 Brian Lima -
Nobody puts on a hit like 'The Chiropractor'. The greatest ever tackler I've ever seen playing Union (or League). Had good pace in his prime as a wing but was probably more suited in the centres in the later stages of his career post 2000. Ran the ball well but will always be remembered for his tackling skills.
13 Seilala Mapasua - Def the best option we've had in the Centres for a long time.
14 Lome Fa'atau - Was a great player at club level who at times didnt play to his full potential for Samoa. Wasnt the best defensively but had speed to burn and was a try scoring machine playing for The Hurricanes at super rugby level.
15 Paul Williams
- Samoas first real world class fullback in a long time. Runs and defends well, and has a decent boot. Should be Samoas goal kicker for this RWC bar injury.

I originally Had Terry Fanolua in the centres, But I thought about it and Brian Lima post 2000 was too slow to play wing. I couldnt leave him out soo he takes Fanoluas place in the centres with mapasua. I also Replaced Earl Va'a with Loki Chricton at first five. Others considered and unlucky to miss out are Kasiano Lealemanua (Loosehead Prop), Mahonri Schwalger (Hooker), Anthony Perenise (Tighthead Prop), Felipo Levi (Lock), Kane Thompson (Lock), Leo Lafaiali'i (Lock), Dan Leo (Lock/Flanker), George Stowers (Flanker/Numer 8), Steve So'oialo (Scrum Half), Junior Poluleuligaga (Scrum Half), Uale Mai (Scrum Half), Eliota-Fuimaono Sapolu (Centre/Fly Half), Elvis Seveali'i (Centre), Sailosi Tagicakibau (Wing), David Lemi (Wing), Tanner Vili (Fullback/ Fly Half), Gavin Williams (Fullback/Centre).

good article Afakasi Assasin, it must be heartening for Samoa fans that quite a few of that team are available for RWC 2011

Here is my Samoa team

1. Kas Lealamanu'a, I prefer Lealamanu'a to Taulafo as he was the Samoa first choice for two World Cup's and has quite a more caps than Taulafo
2. Trevor Leota, the position Samoa have most depth in, current captain Mahonri Schwalger has given loyal service, but Leota was a more dynamic player and would have more impact on a match, Ti'i Paulo could be here in a few years time as well
3. Cencus Johnston, one of the best props in the world in the loose, I personally feel he gets a bit too much unfair criticism of his scrummaging, I hope his nephew Falefa Johnston opts to play for Samoa in the future as well
4. Opeta Palepoi, a hard selection here as there are quite a few player with not much between them, I could have easily preferred Leo Lafaiali'i or Filipo Levi here, but Palepoi just edges them
5. Joe Tekori, again Levi or Lafaiali'i could be here as well, but Tekori comes in for his immense play in the loose, I would of had Lio Falaniko but he retired after the 1999 World Cup
6. Semo Sititi, easy decision here as he was captain for most of last decade, also gets point from me for turning up to every match Samoa had
7. Maurie Fa'asavalu, just has a few caps but was very good in the World Cup in 2003, it's a shame he left to League as Union lost his mid to late twenties years where he would of been at his peak, I still look forward to seeing him this year though now he returned
8. Henry Tuilagi, Pat Lam was easily the best here but doesn't fit the selection criteria from the first post, hasn't played as much for Samoa as he should of but beats of competition from the only other contender for this spot, Junior Paramore
9. Kahn Fotuali'i, a tough decision here between the quality of Fotuali'i's few quality games or Steve So'oialo and Junior Poluleuligaga's lees quality but more matches, I am opting for Fotuali'i and hope he justifies being here at the World Cup
10. Earl Va'a, not the most creative player but this team needs a goal kicker and Va'a does that job, I think Tasesa Lavea, I don't know why so many people quite simply hate him, will be here soon, I would have chosen Bachop but like Falaniko and Lam he retired in 1999
11. Alesana Tuilagi, had a disappointing 2007 World Cup, but I thought he did well in the Autumn last year, I could have easily selected Sailosi Tagicakibau, Lome Fa'atau, David Lemi and Afato So'oalo here as well, I also considered Fanolua at 12 with Tuigamala at 11
12. Inga Tuigamala, universally known as "Inga the Winger" but plays centre for this team, a great player at the turn of century for Newcastle and Samoa
13. Seilala Mapusua, would be thought as possibly the world's best inside centre at the moment if he played for a bigger nation, described his decision to play for Samoa as "the greatest" of his life, also spends time persuading players to pledge allegiance to Samoa
14. Brian Lima, "The Chiropractor" is simply a legend, played in World Cups 1991, 1995, 1999, 2003 and 2007 and is arguably Samoa's greatest back ever
15. Paul Williams, again the same debate from the Fotuali'i selection, but is a much better player than Tanner Vili, Silao Leaega and Loki Crichton, although Crichton came close due to his awesome goal kicking

Replacements: 16. Mahonri Schwalger, 17. Zak Taulafo, 18. Filipo Levi, 19. Junior Paramore, 20. Junior Poluleuligaga, 21. To'o Vaega, 22. Lome Fa'atau

what do you think AfakasiAssasin? agree?

good article Afakasi Assasin, it must be heartening for Samoa fans that quite a few of that team are available for RWC 2011

Here is my Samoa team

what do you think AfakasiAssasin? agree?
Yes I do like your team. The only differences at loosehead prop, at inside centre and at right wing.
I chose Sakari Taulafo over Kasiano Lealemanua based on what I saw from last years end of year tour. Taulafo may not have had too many caps for Samoa as yet but I cannot remember a time where Samoa was able to consistently hold their own at scum time against three quality tier one teams in a row like they did then. Lealemanua has the more experiance, but IMO Taulafo has the edge in scrummaging which is why I chose him. Lealemanua was their first choice at the RWC 2003 but not in 2007 where he was behind Justin Va'a (our scrum at that time was shot to pieces time and time again against quality opposition).
I originally had Earl Va'a at Fly half, but to me he is only a good goal kicker and an adequate play maker. Loki Chrichton when playing for Samoa was the more creative playmaker then Va'a, and I have Paul Williams in the team to fill in as goal kicker, so Chrichton to me gets the nod. You mentioned Tasesa Lavea making a claim for this spot in the near future and I agree with you. I know he has his critics but he has gotten better in the last few years. From when i saw of him playing for Samoa last year, he wasnt making the silly decisions or showing the horrible distirbution that warranted those critics while playing at club level in New Zealand. If he can keep playing that way and continue his career on the upside, then this spot will surely be his in the not too distant future. Although his boot isnt the greatest in terms of range.
As I said I originally had Terry Fanolua in the centres pairing up with Seilala Mapasua and Brian Lima at right wing. But because Lima didnt have the pace for the majority of the last decade he did in the nineties (and it would be sacrilege to leave him out) I chose to make the switch to put Lima at inside centre thus forcing Fanolua out. While not his original position Lima, did play at inside centre the majority of the duration of the RWC 2003 and played at, if not close, to his best. I also feel it is a better position for him to come and rush out of the line and utilize his destructive tackling and cause some damage/turnovers (Youtube Derrick Hougard tackle if you already haven't seen and don't already know what Im talking about). I must admit I never saw Inga Tuigamala play for Samoa. But I heard he spent the majority of his career playing for the All Blacks and by the time he turned out for Samoa, he was pretty much a spent force.
While I feel more times than not he didnt play up to the heights of his Super rugby career for Samoa, Lome fa'atau was probably our best speedster wing at 14 in the last decade in terms of his ability, speed and elusiveness with ball in hand. As I said defensively he wasn't great.. but we have plenty of tacklers and big hitters and we need a speedster in the team to provide some rocket pace and elusiveness on the outside which I feel he has plenty. Other than our teams look very familiar, I guess great rugby minds think alike :cool:. If I were to include a bench mine would look like the following.

16. Ti'i Paulo
- I believe will be Samoas hooker for the next decade after Mahonri Schwalger calls it quits. Schwalger has been good for us for a while now, but I think Paulo can be great and may even overtake him as starter at the next world cup
17. Anthony Perenise - The other I feel largley resposible for the impressive scummaging during the november tour. In a RWC 2011 Samoa XV I would start him over Cencus Johnston. Cencus is more of an impact player than a scrummaging prop and has a better all round game. but Perenise is def the better scrummager at Tighthead prop.
18. Kane Thompson - Tough call leaving out Felipo Levi. Felipo is a better all round player than Kane, but Kane is the better lineout option. With so few decent Lineout options in the side he gets my pick on the bench over Levi. Dan Leo is another unlucky as he is another of only a very few decent lineout options for Samoa.
19. George Stowers - Can give away silly penalties at times but he can cover anywhere in the loose which makes him handy coming off the bench. Hits and tackles hard and gets too the breakdown well. Not quite the scavenger that Samoa lacks but he has decent leadership skills to back up Sititi if need be.
20. Junior Poluleuligaga - Has been criticized as of late for ball hogging and making bad decisions in the last couple of years hes played for Samoa. But his RWC 2007 form sees him secure a spot on the bench in my team.
21. Eliota Fuimaono-Sapolu - A mercurial talent. He has always been solid for Samoa either at centre or at First five. Has been playing really well last few seasons for his club. Is a little outspoken at times which can see him out of favor with the Samoan selectors, but the talent is undeniable and makes a good back up for those 2 positions on the bench.
22. Sailosi Tagicakibau - Played really well during his debut tenure for Samoa at the 2003 RWC, but has yet to reach the same heights since on the international stage. He is another who has lit up a Club level playing for London Irish for the later half of the past decade with his good blend of size and pace at wing. Can also cover at fullback if need be.

Last edited:
yes you're probably right, Tuigamala played 23 matches for Samoa but was probably past his best playing for Samoa

how do you rate Silao Leaega, To'o Vaeaga AfakasiAssasin?

I considered them but didn't know enough about them to put them in, but I know they were part of the 1999 World Cup side that beat Wales

I saw To'o Vaeaga was in your original Samoa side ahead of Mapusua, so do you think he is worthy of being in this side

from your bench I would have Junior Paramore for Stowers due to the silly penalties you refer to

one last question: do you think if all your dream team were playing on top form they could reach the semi or final of the World Cup?

yes you're probably right, Tuigamala played 23 matches for Samoa but was probably past his best playing for Samoa

how do you rate Silao Leaega, To'o Vaeaga AfakasiAssasin?

I considered them but didn't know enough about them to put them in, but I know they were part of the 1999 World Cup side that beat Wales

I saw To'o Vaeaga was in your original Samoa side ahead of Mapusua, so do you think he is worthy of being in this side

from your bench I would have Junior Paramore for Stowers due to the silly penalties you refer to

one last question: do you think if all your dream team were playing on top form they could reach the semi or final of the World Cup?
All of the above players you mentioned played prior to 2003 . I only really started watching rugby and following the Manu Samoa from 2003 onwards and have only seen limited footage of Samoa before then. I mostly picked Vaeaga based on what Ive heard and on reputation to be honest. George Stowers made my team despite the silly penalties he can concede at times because he can cover all three loose trio positions. I have heard alot about junior Paramore, but I have never seen him play soo I cant pass judgment.
If my Samoa dream team were to play together, do I think they could make the Semi Finals?...Possibly but being realistic unlikely. I couldnt see them toppling NZ, Australia, South Africa, England even on their best day. France at their horrible worst maybe but definatly would provide stiff competition to the likes of Ireland, Wales, Scotland and Argentina.

Last edited:
On another note my (attempt for a)
Japan team of the last decade
1 Hisateru Hirashima
2 Yuji Matsubara
3 Ryo Yamamura
4 Hitoshi Ono
5 Luke Thompson
6 Yasonori Watanabe
7 Takuro Miuchi
(Captain)
8 Takeshi Kikutani
9 Fumiaki Tanaka
10 James Arlidge
11 Christian Loamanu
12 Ryan Nicholas
13 Alisi Tupuailei
14 Daisuke Ohata
15 Shaun Webb

16 Takeshi Kizu
17 Masahito Yamamoto
18 Luatangi Vatuvei
19 Toetuu Taufa

20 Tomioki yoshida
21 Bryce Robbins
22 Kosuke Endo

Unlucky to miss out
Toru Kurihara (Fullback/Centre) Hirotoki Onozawa (Wing) Yukio Motoki (Centre) Yuta Imamura (Centre) Shotaro Onishi (Centre/Fly Half) Andrew Miller (Fly Half) Ryukoliniasi Holani (Number 8) Yuya Saito (Number 8) Hajime Kiso (Number 8) Hare Makiri (Flanker) Takanori Kumagae (Lock) Yusuke Aoki (Hooker) Tomokazu Soma (Prop)
I had to do a bit of research for some of these players but for most I legitimatly picked based on what Ive seen.

My Tongan team of the decade
1. Soane Tongahui'a
2. Aleki Lutui
3. Kisi Pulu

4. Lisiate Fa'aoso
5. Paino Hehea
6. Hale T-Pole

7. Nili Latu (Captain)
8. Finau Maka
9. Sililo Martens
10. Pierre Hola
11. Seti Kiole
12. Epeli Taione
13. Suka Hufanga
14. Viliami Iongi
15. Vunga Lilo

16. Ephraim Taukafa
17. Tevita Taumoepeau
18. Viliami Vaki
19. Chris Hala'ufia
Sione Tu'ipulotu
21. Kurt Morath
22. Joseph Vaka

Unlucky to miss out
Toma Toke (loosehead prop)Viliami Ma'asi (hooker) Taufa'ao Filise (tighthead prop)Heamani Lavaka (tighthead prop) Ma'ama Molitika (lock) Inoke Afeaki (lock) Emosi Kauhenga (lock) Sione Timani (lock) Steve Mafi (lock/flanker), Samiu Vahafolau (number 8), Benhur Kivalu (number 8) Manu Ahotaeiloa (centre), Andrew Mailei (centre), Alipate Fatafehi (centre/wing), Mateo Malupo (wing/fullback)

My Fijian team of the Decade

1. Graham dewes
2. Greg Smith
3. Deacon Manu
Ifereimi Rawaqa
5. Simon Raiwalui
6. Semisi Naevo
7. Akepusi Qera
8. Sisa Koyamaibole
9. Mosese Rauluni
10. Nicky Little
11. Rupeni Caucaunibuca
12. Seremaia Bai
13. Seru Rabeni
14. Vilimoni Delasau
15. Norman Ligairi

16. Sunia Koto
17. Campese Ma'afu
18. Wame Lewaravu
19. Netani Talei
20. Nikola Matawalu
21. Kameli Ratuvou
22. Napolioni Nalaga

Unlucky to miss out
Richard Nyholt (loose head prop) Viliame Veikoso (hooker) Jone Railomo (tighthead prop) Joeli Vietayaki (tighthead prop) Kele Leaware (lock) Isoa Domalailai (lock) Aca Ratuva (Flanker) Dominiko Waqaniburotu (flanker/lock) Aca Ratuva (openside flanker) Alifereti Doviverata (flanker/number 8) Jone Qovu (Number 8/flanker) Sakiusa Matadigo (number 8/flanker/lock) Jone Daunivucu (scrum half) Jacob Rauluni (scrum half) Waisea Luveniyali (fly half) Sireli Naqelevuki (centre/wing) Gabiriele Lovobalavu (centre) Albert Vulivuli (centre) Timoci Nagusa (wing) Sireli Bobo (wing) Marika Vunibaka (wing) Josh Matevesi (fullback)
*On a side note I didnt include Isa Nacewa as he only took to the field for less than 5 mins for Fiji and has lacked any kind of commitment for the Fiji national team since. Otherwise he'd probably be a starter.

You and Afas teams are mean. We might have not won a world cup but were certainly proud of the small amount of players we get.
It never stops to amaze me the talent not just Samoa, but all the Islands have produced for the little populations we have. Its all about the genetics my fellow Samoan friend :cool:.

Interesting teams there AfakasiAssasin

here is my Fiji team:

1. Graham Dewes, Fiji's weakest position on the pitch, considered Joeli Veitayaki out of position from his preferred tighthead but in the end chose Dewes, who is the best of a poor bunch, I don't know why Fiji prefer Campese Ma'afu to him at the moment
2. Greg Smith, easily Fiji's best hooker, he is the most capped hooker for Fiji ever and was first choice at the 1999 and 2003 World Cups and was one of the few Fijian front rows who had a successful career at professional level
3. Deacon Manu, only 5 matches for Fiji as yet, but he is perhaps the best Fijian prop of all time, but one could see how he carried Ma'afu last year, considered Joeli Veitayaki and Bill Cavubati but they are remembered as cult heroes for their extraordinary obesity than scrummaging skills
4. Simon Raiwalui, it's a shame Raiwalui never played for Fiji for longer but he chose club over country for the second half of his career, and turned down captaining Fiji at the 2003 World Cup, but is still probably the best lock, others considered were Kele Leawere, Apenisa Naevo and Emori Katalau
5. Ifereimi Rawaqa, extremely impressive player in the loose, Fiji's first choice lock at the 2003 and 2007 World Cups, he will play a key part again for Fiji later this year, again others considered were Leawere, Naevo and Katalau, Wane Lewaravu could be considered further in the future perhaps
6. Semisi Naevo, the brother of Apenisa Naevo, Semisi was part of Fiji's back row at the 2007 World Cup, he isn't in Fiji's preliminary World Cup squad for 2011 however, don't know whether it's because of his age (35) or if he's injured, others considered were Alfie Mocelutu and Vula Maimuri
7. Akapusi Qera, made an incredible impact at the 2007 World Cup, scoring a bundle of tries, voted 2nd in Fiji's Sportsman of Year for 2007, since then he has lost his place in the Fiji side to Malakai Ravulo who impressed against Wales last year, Koli Sewabu was also considered
8. Sisa Koyamaibole, an easy decision here as Koyamaibole has been an ever present for the last 8 years in the Fiji side, did well in his stint with Sale also, a very reliable yard maker, however his handling isn't comparable to the top number 8's in the world
9. Mosese Rauluni, spent quite a few years at Saracens but was rarely was first choice there, for Fiji though he was always consistent and and a reliable and calm player in the Fiji side, other player considered was his brother Jacob Rauluni
10. Nicky Little, was booed after the Fiji selectors preferred him to the more exciting sevens superstar Waisale Serevi once, but this side needs a kicker and Little is a very accurate, he's never done that well for his many clubs in Europe though
11. Rupeni Caucaunibuca, a legend of a player, nothing I can say of him that hasn't already been said, would be nice to see him add to his 7 Fiji caps and play in a World Cup, but hope rather than expect
12. Seremaia Bai, without him Fiji just have to rely on one of their backs just to create something out of nothing like they did at RWC 03, but with his playmaking ability they can consistently threaten throughout the match, could be considered as a fly half in this team if he does well at the World Cup
13. Seru Rabeni, I'm a big fan of Lovobalavu and Vuli Vuli (see my signature!) but Rabeni gets this place because he has delivered at a World Cup, Rabeni is great in defence, and also in attack...when he catches the ball, Viliame Satala I also considered here
14. Vilimoni Delasau, in the 07/08 period he was one of the world's best wingers, but got usurped at Clermont by Nalaga, and now is finishing his career in the Toulouse reserves, which is a shame because I think he could start for a top European club, also considered here was Marika Vunibaka
15. Kameli Ratuvou, full back was the hardest decision in this team for me, Ratuvou did well there in 2007, but hasn't played there much, and Norman Ligairi and Alfred Uluinayau have also done well here, but I picked Ratuvou with the hope he can justify my decision at the upcoming World Cup

Subs: 16. Sunia Kota, 17. Joeli Veitayaki, 18. Apenisa Naevo, 19. Koli Sewabu, 20. Jacob Rauluni, 21. Waisale Serevi, 22. Marika Vunibaka

Canada

15 Mike Pyke (Montauban)
14 Winston Stanley (Leicester)
13 DTH van der Merwe (Glasgow)
12 Jared Barker (Nottingham)
11 Dave Lougheed (Leicester)
10 Ryan Smith (Montauban)
9 Morgan Williams (Stade Français, Saracens)
8 Al Charon (captain) (Bristol, Pau)
7 Chauncey O´Toole (Glasgow)
6 Dan Baugh (Cardiff)
5 Mike James (Stade Français, Clermont)
4 Jamie Cudmore (Clermont)
3 Rod Snow (Newport)
2 Aaron Abrams
1 John Thiel (Sale)

This would actually be a great team if all together in their prime. A certain runner for a Quarter Finals spot. 13 of them played professionals for top clubs in France, England or Wales. Maybe 14, as I can´t remember who Abrams played for... Some champions in there. Mike James won the Top 14 as did Jamie Cudmore. Winston Stanley won the Heineken Cup and the English Premiership. I´d love Gareth Rees to be the flyhalf, but he retired in 1999!

So guys, no place for Ed Fairhurst

My Canada XV

15. James Pritchard, Mike Pyke has claims to this spot where he impressed but for me he didn't play enough to be preferred over Pritchard, who is now a veteran at 32, he has been an ever present in the Canada lineup since 2003.
14. Winston Stanley, Canada's leading ever try scorer with 23 tries which is 10 ahead of Canada's second highest leading try scorer Morgan Williams, Stanley is also an H Cup winner with Leicester in 2001.
13. DTH van der Merwe, van der Merwe has only played 15 matches for Canada yet is already the fourth highest leading try scorer with 10, he's had success at wing for Glasgow over the last season but is played at outside centre for Canada.
12. Ryan Smith, a weak position for Canada here at inside centre, Ryan Smith is here due to lack of other options, Smith has played at two RWC's in 2003 and 2007, yet wasn't the first choice for either, and seems to be the first choice inside centre in between World Cup's, whilst the inside centres who play at the World Cup disappear (di Girolomo and Spicer), Smith had a spell at Montauban for a while when they were a Top 14 side but is only really here because he's played most matches.
11. Dave Lougheed, like Stanley, Lougheed had a spell in the Premiership with Leicester between 1998 and 2000, his strike rate for tries wasn't as good for Canada as it was at club level.
10. Bobby Ross, not Canada's strongest position since the retirement of Gareth Rees in 1999, I also considered Jared Barker and Ander Monro but I went for Ross due to his 57 caps worth of experience which is far more than all other options, out of interest Ross used to work as a fishing guide.
Morgan Williams, probably Canada's best back since his debut in 1999, a really good sniping scrum half he was still good when I last saw him play at RWC 2007 where he scored against Wales, he had a spells at Stade Français twice, Saracens, Bordeaux-Bègles and latterly Albi.
1. Jon Thiel, played at three World Cup's for Canada and survived a heart problem to make the third, spent his career hopping between clubs in England, France and Wales, Kevin Tkachuk was also considered.
2. Pat Dunkley, close decision here between Pat Riordan, but despite Riordan having captained the side for a few years, I am selecting Dunkley due to his professional rugby experience with Swansea and to reunite the 1999 World Cup front row,
3. Rod Snow, an easy choice here, Snow made four World Cup's, and played 10 years of professional rugby with Newport and the Dragons, I also remember him for getting a Newport Gwent Dragons tattoo on his bicep as part of the launch of the region.
4. Jamie Cudmore, despite lock being Canada's most productive position since professionalism with Yukes, Burak, Luke Tait, John Tait, Josh Jackson and Tyler Hotson all having played for professional clubs, both locks are easy to select, at number four it is the Canadian answer to Bakkies Botha, Jamie Cudmore, who has been playing as first choice for Clermont for quite some time now.
5. Mike James, an ever present in the Stade Français side which won three Top 14 ***les and nearly won the H Cup, also an ever present for Canada playing in four World Cups's, probably Canada's best forward.
6. John Hutchinson, hard choice here with not much between Hutchinson, Ryan Banks or even O'Toole, I opted for Hutchinson as he was first choice in 1999.
7. Dan Baugh, didn't achieve as much as he could of due to constant injury but still Canada's best openside, Chauncey O'Toole could be here perhaps in a few years time.
8. Al Charron, had a long career with Canada, was always reliable in whatever position he played, I considered putting him to 6 and selecting Phil Murphy or Mike Schmid, but although I was always impressed by Phil Murphy at club level I don't think he was good when playing for Canada.

Here's my Scotland XV:

1 Ewan Murray
2 Ross Ford
3 Tom Smith
4 Richie Gray
5 Scott Murray
6 Kelly Brown
7 Jason White
8 Simon Taylor

9 Mike Blair
10 Gregor Townsend
11 Sean Lamont
12 Andy Henderson (would be Leslie but he started to drop from 2000, always preferred Andy's physical play)
13 Max Evans
14 Simon Webster
15 Chris Paterson

1. K Lealamanua
2. T Leota
3. C Johnston
4. K Thompson
5. J Tekori
6. P Lam
7. J Paramore - best Ive seen in no 7 since 91'
8. H Tuilagi
9. K Fotuali'i - world class already
10. E Vaa
11. A Tuilagi - say no more
12. S Mapasua
13. T Vaega - an unsung hero
14. B Lima - picks himself
15. S Leaga - very safe and goalkicking in Wales awesome

The best Manu team ever was the one that faced the All Blacks for the first time in 93' on there New Zealand tour and lost by 2 tries to one where the boot of Grant Fox flattered the AB's The team that day was as follows:

Last edited:
Dan Rouse
Greg Smith
Deacon Manu
Ifi Rawaqa
Sekonaia Kalou :D
Dominiko Waqaniburotu - if he hadn't already played for fiji in 2009 it really wouldn't have surprised me if graham henry picked him in the ab's after his season in the 2010 ITM Cup
Akapusi Qera
Sisa Koyamaibole
Moses Rauluni
Seremaia Bai
Rupeni Caucau
Tabai Matson - legendary for canterbury, but sadly never got more than two games for fiji, not sure why, otherwise i'd go with Rabeni
Vili Satala
Vilimoni Delasau - his 15's career started off slow, imo he wasn't a good 15's player until 2007 where he suddenly became good, a shame he's chosen not to play in the 2011 world cup coz imo he's easily fiji's best winger right now
Alfred Uluinayau

Last edited:
1.Rowntree
2.Thompson
3.Vickery
4.Johnson
5.Kay (more consistant at international level than Shaw and Englands best forward in the 2007 WC)
6.Hill
7.Back
8.Dallaglio
9.Dawson
10.Wilkinson
11.Luger
12.Catt
13.Greenwood
14.Robinson
15.Perry

Shame its after 2000 would have liked to have included the likes of Dooly, Teague and Richards but nevermind!

Latest posts