• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Fiji vs Australia

Yeah, it wasn't that good a match unfortunately.
But hey, the Aussies did the job. Reaching QF's was a stroll in the park for them.

I knew we were never going to come close to the Aussies...but we're still ridden with simple mistakes. Twice we were penalised at lineout for not throwing in quickly, our lineout is still in shambles, our backline defence disappeared, etc...

The only thing I was quite pleased about was our defence against the maul & around the ruck areas....plus the number of turnovers we got from the breakdown.

Good game to the Wallabies who never looked like playing in first gear....and tough luck to Staniforth.

I didn't think this game was too bad.

It surely didn't compare to the 'France v Ireland' match which was easily the worst of the tournament so far. But that was mostly to do with the refereeing which was also easily the worst of the tournament.

Anyways, I thought Phil Waugh proved why George Smith is the best openside flanker in the country.

It's not that Waugh played bad, he just doesn't have that X factor which Smith can bring into a game (like he did against Wales and Japan).

And not to take any credit away from Fiji, but I felt the Australian forwards weren't up to scratch at the breakdown.

The backline looked a little flat for most of the match, but Giteau and Latham were just too good. I do believe at the end of this tournament Latham will be named in the World XV.

Despite some of my criticisms of Palu in the past, he is becoming a bit more consistent and was clearly Australia's best forward against Fiji.

Drew Mitchell may have scored 3 tries but only when he was on the end of some brilliant work by other players. I don't want to see him in the squad during the finals. I feel he's Australia's biggest weakness.

Drew Mitchell may have scored 3 tries but only when he was on the end of some brilliant work by other players. I don't want to see him in the squad during the finals. I feel he's Australia's biggest weakness.
[/b]
And who to take his place?

There aren't really good wingers what-so-ever in the Wallabies, why single out Mitchell when Tuquiri did not much at all? Few runs but nothing of much note.....

I'm sick of this Mitchell bashing, sure he doesn't set the world alite but he plays a solid game in comparison to some of his counterparts, get over it...

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
And who to take his place?

There aren't really good wingers what-so-ever in the Wallabies, why single out Mitchell when Tuquiri did not much at all? Few runs but nothing of much note.....

I'm sick of this Mitchell bashing, sure he doesn't set the world alite but he plays a solid game in comparison to some of his counterparts, get over it...
[/b][/quote]

My problem with him is he shouldn't have been in the squad in the first place.

Aside from a bit of a pace he doesn't really offer anything to the team.

His defence is atrocious and Australia can't afford to play him against teams like New Zealand or South Africa.

There are players in the ARC who could do what he does, but probably offer a bit more.

I would also like to see Shepherd get an opportunity against Canada.

Fortunately when Mortlock returns Ashley-Cooper will take Mitchell's place on the wing.

His defence is atrocious and Australia can't afford to play him against teams like New Zealand or South Africa.

There are players in the ARC who could do what he does, but probably offer a bit more.

Fortunately when Mortlock returns Ashley-Cooper will take Mitchell's place on the wing.
[/b]
To be honest there are alot of people who should be in the squad who aren't, more about the selectors reliance on your older players eg. why bring over Cordingley? He is only 3 years younger then Gregan, why not blood a younger player?

If you argue Mitchell shouldn't have been in the squad the same could be said for Gerrard, he hasn't done anything of worth to the Wallabies for years....plus despite the hype about AAC he really hasn't set the world alight, I saw him far too few times for the position he was playing last night, not to mention he injured Staniforth, who should have probably started ahead of AAC in the centres anyway....

ARC is no where near the level that the World Cup is, hell, Sam Norton Knight is actually not playing too bad in the ARC but damned if I'm going to approve him to play for the Wallabies, note: Beale's eventual melt down in the Super 14 compared with his form in the ARC, whole different levels.

If Shepherd gets game time against Canada that'd be great, I personally think he will play with alot more vigour then he did in the ARC(I think that being left out of the world cup squad sapped alot of his motivation) and hopefully his play will click into place ala. Super 14. If Shepherd starts playing well he can be a whole lot better then any of the wingers on offer at the moment.

<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]
If you argue Mitchell shouldn't have been in the squad the same could be said for Gerrard, he hasn't done anything of worth to the Wallabies for years....plus despite the hype about AAC he really hasn't set the world alight, I saw him far too few times for the position he was playing last night, not to mention he injured Staniforth, who should have probably started ahead of AAC in the centres anyway....
[/b][/quote]

Wha?!

Staniforth is a great inside centre, but Ashley-Cooper is a far better outside centre, and will no doubt be taking over from Mortlock when he retires.

AAC has shown more brilliance this year with Australia and the Brumbies than Mitchell has in two years in the spotlight... despite one bad game at fullback for the Wallabies.

His ability to shrug off multiple defenders and gain metres is incredible. And he's a solid defender.

Mitchell is a liability in defence and doesn't create anything in attack. He's also very shakey under a high ball.

I actually believe that Mitchell is the ONLY player in the Australian backline at the moment who doesnt' have the ability to spark something.

Jesus wept you Brumby fans can talk some ****.

Thankfully that'll be the last time we see Chisholm in the starting lineup this tournament, he's just not up to it at test level.... it was obvious - by omission - what a difference Sharpey makes to this team. McMeniman must come into consideration for that bench spot.

Jesus wept you Force fans can talk some ****.
[/b]

Fixed.

I don't think Chisholm was that bad at all. Just a couple of dropped balls. He was solid in the lineout though.

However, there was room for improvement which hopefully he'll show against Canada. He really hasn't had much game time lately.

Anyways, the difference between Sharpe and Chisholm is that Chisholm can actually scrummage. :p

As for McMeniman, he's more useful as a blindside flanker backup than a lock replacement.

Staniforth is a great inside centre, but Ashley-Cooper is a far better outside centre, and will no doubt be taking over from Mortlock when he retires.
[/b]
Staniforth in my opinion would be good in either center positions, until the last year no one would have thought he could play inside centre but he has embraced that position and a player with the skill of Staniforth I imagine wouldn't find the shift too hard at all, I would imagine he would play the tough running game of Mortlock, bashing it up etc. AAC on the other hand was average at best, he didn't have anywhere near the presence of Mortlock...

feel sorry for staniforth is there any news on the injury is it serious, i also agree with some of the comments that staniforth could of been a better option, his fast and strong and moving from inside to outside would only give him more space, hope he gets a chance against canada if his OK. but no doubt aac will one day develop into a great centre or maybe winger.

wycliff palu is impressing me his work rate is improving alot, and his got a brain i thought he was just gonna crash it up 24/7 but he passed the ball. i would also still like to see hoiles get more chance, his got so much allround skill and commitment. maybe bring him on at 40 min in later matchs so that palu can soften em up at start. also hope mcmeninman gets a shot, i see him as a 6 who can cover lock just as well.

i think chisolm went allright, he is lacking game time, and i think without smith it showed how much we missed him. felt sorry for tuquiri denied couple tries thought he played pretty good. also fiji should of scored again but selfish rabeni.. he anoyed me alot through out that match.

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
Staniforth in my opinion would be good in either center positions, until the last year no one would have thought he could play inside centre but he has embraced that position and a player with the skill of Staniforth I imagine wouldn't find the shift too hard at all, I would imagine he would play the tough running game of Mortlock, bashing it up etc. AAC on the other hand was average at best, he didn't have anywhere near the presence of Mortlock...
[/b][/quote]

I don't think AAC had his best game, but he hardly saw any ball for most of it.

However, I have no doubt he's the best outside centre in the squad after Mortlock.

I think Staniforth would be capable in the position but I don't think he's as an effective tackle breaker as Ashley-Cooper who's proved on several ocassions that he's a highly effective ball runner with a cunning ability to shrug off several defenders and score some incredible tries. But I do rate Staniforth very highly. I'd probably rather see him on the wing instead of Mitchell. But for now I think Staniforth is best utilised on the bench as he can cover both centre positions and the wing.

Whatever happened to Clyde Rathbone as a replacement for Mortlock at outside centre. Has injury totally shot his career?

Whatever happened to Clyde Rathbone as a replacement for Mortlock at outside centre. Has injury totally shot his career?
[/b]

I believe he had knee surgery which pretty much ended his season.

I'm sure Mitchell wouldn't be in the squad if Shepherd, Gerrard and Rathbone weren't all injured at one time or another this year.

Drew Mitchell is playing well, but rathbone would have been a better replacment for mortlock