• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

First man to run the marathon in under 2 hours

It's very impressive, but considering there is no competition and the runners around him were all to support him it's more proving it's possible, rather than a record. Don't want to take anything away from the achievement, but I understand why it can't be a world record.

Yeah it's one of those moments in history like the first 4 minute mile by Bannister (although that was a WR at the time as it was a race). Still, only a matter of time when it will be run under 2 hours in open competition.

Nah if you had physically run it and the course is WR legal (in this case it would be the GNR for instance isn't for half marathons). I don't care how you went about it you've still done the best of any human ever and that should be the world record.

Not quite the nonsence about Paula years ago not getting the WR due to male pacemakers.

Look at the other WR given out for what crap. Let's celebrate human endeavour rather than come up with stupid reasons to deny it.

The rules are quite clear, this was never going to be considered as a world record. Everyone knows this therefore there is little mileage in debating that aspect. It's the same in rugby although there is a lot of debate here on changing the rules after particular incidents.

What this run does show is that it is physically possible under the right conditions to run under 2 hours for the marathon. This may well have a big psychological impact as runners will have to target their training accordingly. Something similar happened when the 4 minute barrier was broken for the mile. The current record for the mile is 3.43.

By all means celebrate human achievement & the advances that come with it, however, rules should not be changed to suit achievements that have already happened.

It's an amazing achievement by one of the all time greats, but it's right that it doesn't count as a WR.

I'm a big athletics fan and on a forum I take part on, no-one had even started a thread about it. I did and the reactions were all pretty negative, which surprised me a bit. I watched the second half of it and though endurance isn't my bag I got totally engrossed in it.

It'll come, but it'll be a while before we see sub 2 in a race under competition rules.

Unless he had bionic legs then he still ran a marathon in under two bloody hours - that's genuinely insane.
Watched the last 10mins or so and it was crazy how fresh he looked at the end - makes you wonder what he's fully capable of (though obviously anything under 2:00 was the target - and the last missed attempt, which averaged at something like 0.6s per mile too slow shows that any given day can produce really different results).

Stick a treadmill at 21km/h and see how long you last.

I'm a big athletics fan and on a forum I take part on, no-one had even started a thread about it. I did and the reactions were all pretty negative, which surprised me a bit. I watched the second half of it and though endurance isn't my bag I got totally engrossed in it.
I'm a long distance runner it seams to be pretty popular with road runners.
Stick a treadmill at 21km/h and see how long you last.
not very long at all, my fastest 400m is 1:26 which is a mere 17km/h. Should state I'm obviously not Elite level, hell barely local level. However in equal measure for amatuer level I'm also not slow either. However I know many runners who would love to run a half in the time he ran a full. Hell man of us would love to be able to run a K in time he did his slowest split.....

Latest posts