• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

First Rugby 08 Review..

G

gjohn85

I found the first review of Rugby 08 on the PS2. It by an American site, where they reviewer doesn't know much about Rugby. He does give it a good score though.

To find out what he had to say & his rating out of 10, go here.

I did think that the review was by a user of the site, but I checked, the reviewer is the wesite's freelance editor.

It's a good start so far! :bana:

O dear :eek:

Here's what I make of the ditz's review:

Rugby 08's greatest asset is the simplicity of the controls.[/b]
The game is easier than Rugby06

I didn't even mind the cut-scenes, especially the one where my guy got on top of an opposing player and punched him repeatedly in the face.[/b]
Cut scenes are the same as 06

Sometimes, an opposing player would tackle my guy from behind when it seemed like the player should've been too far away -- yet he somehow magically magnetized to my player to make the tackle.[/b]
Tackler's gravity thing still there, if not increased
Also, it would've been great to have better camera angles on the kicks[/b]
Camera angles is supposed to be THE major improvement in 08 :wall:

The problem with the challenges, though, is that everything's in "rugby speak," so if you don't know what it means to "kick the ball into touch," you'll be at a loss on how to complete certain challenges.[/b]
The guy is an idiot and hopefully we can safely ignore this review :lol:

Oh dear, that last comment is appalling embarrasing!

As for 'simpler controls', that doesn't neccessarily mean 'easier to play', might just mean easier to use.

I'm assuming if he doesn't know what kicking the ball into touch is ( :wall: ) then he has never played Rugby 06. I think by simple controls that his IQ reached far enough to be able to navigate te menus and then kick the ball.

The game isn't completely polished, though. Winning a scrum was beyond my comprehension, even after the tutorial explained how.[/b]

Duh -- After the guy puts the ball in you press Q and then the direction you want your pack to move in. Jesus... This says a lot about the reviewer.

Sometimes, an opposing player would tackle my guy from behind when it seemed like the player should've been too far away -- yet he somehow magically magnetized to my player to make the tackle.[/b]

I think he's referring to the ankle-tap...

As it is, there's no real way to tell if a close kick made it through, other than to listen for the announcer's call. But these flaws don't kill the experience (though whenever there's a scrum, you'll sort of throw your hands up).[/b]

Or perhaps you would see an increase in your score...?

I for a start, always turn off the commentary and the music. So I don't listen to the "announcer" anyways. It's so corny. "WHAT A MAGNIFICENT TACKLE!!" It's like -- Jeez, he didn't save them from losing the World Cup...

No this was a pretty damn pointless interview I tell ya. The only good thing could be that, he probably reviewed Madden NFL and the other popular US ***les, and seemed to have liked this one as well.

But he's obviously a yanky n00b. So we'll just leave him at it.

simplistic controls???

compared to nba, madden etc

Ea rugby has the most simplistic controls of all sports games

its the only sports game that doesnt utilise pressing 2 buttons simultaneously to add depth in the controls

ignore the simplistic control comment, the guy is used to his zenith like US sports game where controls are soo in depth, u can control a blocker in madden - thats like controlling support play in rugby...in 10 years we'll see that

Haha, its always funny reading American reviews when they actually have no clue! Surely he could have just googled "kick the ball into touch" before making himself look like a complete knob :)

American definition of rugby:-

How to score:

You can kick the football between the goalposts for a field goal. This kick can either be from a touchdown or from a PK or running field goal.

Once the player has run with the ball over the enemies endzone, he must place the football firmly on the ground for a touchdown.

Also, the game can be restarted from the sideline. This is called a penalty throw-out.

Final assessment:- Needs more endzone.

nice find on the ign review
good to see that online should be in the next gen versions hopefully if they do redo the code the game will be very good,
although online should have been in the last 2 versions
im also hoping for sevens in the next gen game :D

would love to see an online sevens tourny :D

aw y'know, y'know lol

That guys makes it seem like they did so much work and put in so much effort! lol Doesn't really appear to be that way

<div class='quotemain'>
I guess your right there. Less effort more money.
[/b]
I'm a business major but I am so lost right now.... [/b][/quote]

He means they will save on development costs. People who would buy it will likely buy it even if the game hasn't been significantly improved, especially with the new sales generated by the RWC. It doesn't make sense financially to spend money you don't need to. A dollar saved is as good as a dollar earned ;)

<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'>
I guess your right there. Less effort more money.
[/b]
I'm a business major but I am so lost right now.... [/b][/quote]

He means they will save on development costs. People who would buy it will likely buy it even if the game hasn't been significantly improved, especially with the new sales generated by the RWC. It doesn't make sense financially to spend money you don't need to. A dollar saved is as good as a dollar earned ;)
[/b][/quote]
wow, I am pretty sure either he changed his post, I posted in the wrong section, or I am losing my mind....

aw y'know, y'know lol

That guys makes it seem like they did so much work and put in so much effort! lol Doesn't really appear to be that way [/b]

I actually thought he was pretty honest about what they did this year and why they didn't put things like online in and most importantly hinted at a next-gen game and online play.

Latest posts