• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

First Rugby Game

I would like the reply to be a little in detail.

I am working on a College Project. So plz do reply fast.

Thanks. :)

I would like the reply to be a little in detail.

I am working on a College Project. So plz do reply fast.

Thanks. :)
[/b]

Wikipedia will help you out.

SB

Thanks a lot for your suggestions, :D
I will definately go through it.!
But still i would prefer to go in detail :) , where xactly it was played and its origin.

all i know william web ellis was board while playing footbal *cough* soccer *cough* and started running with it somewhere at rugby school in england. i dont know if they called it rugby school afterwards, or what i have no idea.

thats my limited knowledge of what i have bothered to listen to over the years.

Hi :bana:
I had deeply gone through in all rugby sites and got all revelant information regarding rugby.
I surely would like to share some information regarding where and when rugby was played and its origin.?.

Harvard University was the first university who hosted Montreal's MC Gill University in Cambridge,
On May14 1874.in the first recorded rugby game on American soil.

Under the rules of "THE BOSTOM GAME" , it was the first two games played in cambridge, one under Harvard's rule and the other under Mc Gill's rules. The third game would be played in Montreal under MC Gill's rules.

Hi :bana:
I had deeply gone through in all rugby sites and got all revelant information regarding rugby.
I surely would like to share some information regarding where and when rugby was played and its origin.?.

Harvard University was the first university who hosted Montreal's MC Gill University in Cambridge,
On May14 1874.in the first recorded rugby game on American soil.

Under the rules of "THE BOSTOM GAME" , it was the first two games played in cambridge, one under Harvard's rule and the other under Mc Gill's rules. The third game would be played in Montreal under MC Gill's rules.
[/b]

What are you on about? Typical bloody yank, has to credit for everything.

Hi Tony :)

why u felt that its a bloody yank :bleh!: ,

I dont think its anything like that.!

In an era where sport was not codified there existed various games played on foot (as opposed to the aristocratic games played on horseback, like polo) using balls. These games have ancient origins going back to the Romans, the Chinese and most importantly the Irish (oh, and the aborigonies). These forms of football had different rules and generally the rules would be agreed upon at the start of a match. Eventually particular towns and Schools developed the brand of football they liked and stuck with that. Rugby School birthed the Rugby Code...hence the name Rugby Football. It is credited to William Webb Ellis for running with the ball in hand. There is an infinite amount more information...go read the wikipedia article and follow it's links. Mob Football is particularly interesting (as I wrote the article).

the game of rugby has been played for millenia, aeons if u will, having roots in roman, chinese, gaelic english blah blah blah culture,not american if u will.harvard rules mcgill rules, it still became bassketball and gridiron

so anyway, "rugby" was employed as a means of keeping soldiers mentally and physically sharp, other than skirt chasing and smearing butter on the bellies of prostitues.

web ellis may have picked the ball up and ran with it, but any forward knows when tiger meggs, the final year student game over and gave web ellis a sound thumping, driving his face into the mud and telling him to "git his hands off the ball, git"

all i know william web ellis was board while playing footbal *cough* soccer *cough* and started running with it somewhere at rugby school in england. i dont know if they called it rugby school afterwards, or what i have no idea.

thats my limited knowledge of what i have bothered to listen to over the years.
[/b]

The actual School is in the town of..you guessed it..Rugby!

Its a major Railway junction for the West Coast Mainline. If you go see say Sales Sharks from London by train, you'll pass through Rugby.

It was at this school that three boys put together the first codified rules for playing rugby too. But until the late 19th century, the tradition went that the two opposing sides would agree the rules on the field just before a match.

This was essentially the traditional style of warfare in the 16th to 19th centuries where two generals would meet in the middle before a big battle, smack each other with white gloves and then agree the rules of engagement.

Thankfully this has long since passed into history!

Latest posts