• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Fly-half fitness/training advice

Jack_Rob

Academy Player
I've been going through a pretty messy break up over the last few weeks but rather than feeling sorry for myself, I want to use that frustration into doing some decent training and really improving as a 10. I've only been playing the position for the last few months but I'm learning as I go along. However, I really want to do those extras that will give me the edge over other 10's.

Few stats about me: I'm 18, 5 foot 7/8 and weigh around 11.5 stone. Would putting on size help? If so, what sort of exercises/training regime should I be looking at and how would that fit in with cardio. I try to work on my skills as often as possible and have been staying behind after training to work on my kicking. As I say I've been going through a difficult time and am sick of feeling sorry for myself so getting stuck in to some decent training and working towards a goal is something that really appeals and motivates me.

Obviously its a tough question but any responses would be really appreciated. Thank you all.

Fly halves don't really need any size so you shouldn't focus too much on that. The priority is skill training, which you say you've been doing which is good. Physically, the best thing you can do is just keep fit, lots of running and body weight exercises. Also do some agility and sprint drills.

5'8 and 11.5st is pretty 'thick set', so don't think you need to bulk up too much to play the game. You're not an international (I assume), so you won't be coming up against the giants like Roberts or North, heading down your channel. I'd recommend looking up people like Matthew Morgan (Sorry, I'm Welsh, so don't know the equivalent 'smaller 10's. ). Watch what they do (and what they DON'T do), then base your game on that, and adjust training as necessary.