• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Football is better than Rugby - FACT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just don't make eye contact boys and you'll be fine.

#approved

Candles brah, nothing gets me in the mood for a all male not gay three way more then a midnight yasmin scented Yankee Candle.
Then go for cake after?

Just a couple of bros grabbing cake after a completely straight all male three way with no eye contact with an effervescing smell of Yankee Candle.

Straight up be balling.

Of course scented, what are we, some kind of barbarians like football players?

Well since I don't want to gay up the all male orgy (ew gayness) I'll have to content myself with a naked man hug in the showers after my next rugball victory, which of course is not gay as long as every team member is present. After all everyone is too fat and potato like for any real penetration to occur so we're golden on that front.

You know all his arguments make sense I've been converted he's a prophet. Why have I been playing this gay sport? (I'd never noticed the ball grabbing before but it must be true he said it, obviusly Buck Shelford wasn't ripped by a stud) I could have been playing a sport where I'd get to style my hair even flying to another country to get it done.

For a Man with a huge scar on his face, Frank Ribery is a total pussy.
EDIT: I haven't seen my penis since I started playing rugby. My belly hides it.

Last edited:
"Football is better than" is already an impossible piece of phrase.

Sorry but I'm going to bite on a very big hole in this fella's argument.

He continuously talks about how much soccer fans care for their team and how loyal they are yet he supports FC United of Manchester, a team formed when the multi million pound corporation that he used to support were bought over by new owners.

Care to give your opinion on this one big man?

Just for the heck of it I have decided to respond to this guys points:

Hello, I've come on here to debate with those silly enough to think that Rugby, a sport played by about 10 nations is better than the worlds game, Football. I will put forth my list of reasons and you can put forward yours (although I already know what they'll be) and we can have a good debate.

1) - Rugby games are devoid of any atmosphere, the fans consist of the most boring people ever content to make absolutely no noise at all.

OK, I will give you that, rugby fans are probably less "passionate" in their support for their teams; however, that does not mean they do not care as much about their teams. You also have to remember that rugby has traditionally attracted a different crowd then association football, drawing more fans from the higher classes of society which is why it took so long for rugby union to become a professional sport.

I would also argue though that we don't need stupid audience gimmicks to occupy ourselves with like "fireworks, fighting, hooliganism and tom fowlery" because the sport of rugby is far more exciting to watch then association football; therefore, are fans are focusing on what is important: THE GAME!

2) - Rugby has barely any match attending fans for club games. Leicester Tigers get a crowd on average of 21,244, thats the best there is in the whole of the Rugby Premier League. So far after one round of Premier League Football action EVERY team went past that apart from Swansea, who sold out but their stadium isn't as big as Leicesters.

Again, you are drawing from the English experience where I will agree, association football is the dominant code. In every other English speaking country, Association Football is a poor cousin of another sport. In the US American Football dominates, In Canada we play Canadian Football, Australia has Aussie Rules and New Zealand has Rugby Union. England's love of association football is fairly unique amongst your cousins, everyone else decided they would rather pick the ball up and use their hands then dance around like a little fairy.

Also, you must remember that again, professional rugby is still fairly young (1995) so teams have not developed the facilities that are comparable to association football yet the gap is beginning to close but it will take time and continued investment of money. You cannot deny that rugby has grown immensely since becoming a professional sport.

3) - The 'world' cup in Rugby is handful of nations from the Commenwealth with a few teams there to make up the numbers, when the football world cup is on the whole world stops and watched

Again, very flawed logic! Rugby like Association Football has a few countries that are dominant but the sport is extremely competitive at the top level and the WC gets more competitive every year. Argentina, France, Italy, South Africa are all strong rugby countries that produce world class teams and Georgia, Romania, Japan, Namibia, Uruguay, USA, Spain, Portugal, Russia, Ivory Coast have all competed at the rugby world cup and displayed some fine results so it is not just a bunch of Commonwealth countries. You can't tell me that certain teams in Association Football aren't far more favoured to win the WC, so rugby like association football is basically the same.

4) - The fans aren't passionate, and by passionate I don't mean dressing up like a daffodil and looking a bell. Anyone who's been to a football match will realise the result at the game means a lot whole lot more to the fans than it does to the Rugby equivalent. As a fan of FC United of Manchester I experience the greatest atmosphere in Britain every week, and we're in the 7th tier of English football. SEVENTH. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4Th9oRtmIE <-- If you can find any rugby fans more passionate than us, the 7th tier of football then I will give you £50.

Again being passionate doesn't necessarily mean you are more of a fan. I equate what you call being a "fan" to being a sellout and subscribing to a "brand". We see the same thing in Canada with Ice Hockey. I know tonnes of people that say they are fans of the Montreal Canadiens or the Toronto Maple Leafs yet they know SFA about the sport. I think Association Football has the same sort of fans, they can all scream really loud and rant and rave about their team who they identify with yet they have little knowledge about the actual game unlike most rugby fans who are true students of the game and have a far deeper understanding of their sport then some ****** wearing a Man U jersey throwing smoke grenades into his local pub because he believes he is supporting his "brand".

5) - Rugby is played by people who couldn't play football, you know that fat kid who couldn't shoot, pass or run? He's probably playing rugby.

Again this is a completely flawed argument. Ever hear of the saying "if it were easy, everyone would be doing it"? I believe this applies to Association Football. It is the reason undernourished children from Africa can pick up a ball and become instant sensations or a guy like Peter Crouch
imgPeter%20Crouch3.jpg

can be a superstar because association football is the easiest sport in the world to master thus more people are able to play it which evidently makes it more popular.

Rugby, on the other hand, is a sport that requires genetic gifts, which is why certain ethnic groups are able to excel at the sport while others flounder. It is not racism it is just a fact of life that not all people are created equal and rugby is a reflection of that. One of the greatest things about rugby though is the match up of styles which is what makes it so interesting. Japan for instance, produces small quick players with incredible speed, while Italy for instance produces big strong physical specimens that can dominate people in the physical aspects of the game. This makes for intriguing match ups to see who can come out on top.

Also rugby is the official sport of the military, not soccer! Your country has used rugby as a way to train soldiers to fight wars so it must be of some utility if it is believed to prepare men to face the ultimate physical test, which is combat!

6) - Rugby is just a line of fat potatoes devoid of skill running into the other line of fat potatoes.

Again wrong, Rugby is a game for all shapes and sizes as the game is based on a series of different positions. Rugby is also a game of strategy, I equate it to a form of human chess and it is far more technical then the sport of association football.

7) - Rugby came from some kid who was obviously diabolical at football and so he had to cheat being the fat useless mess he was and picked up the ball, hopefully he was battered.

Wrong again, rugby came from a kid who decided he was going to use his physical gifts to completely and utterly destroy all the other ******s that were setting stupid conditions in order to make up for their own impotence! In rugby you need to be able to kick, pass, run, catch, tackle. It is a combination of multiple sports and does not limit itself to a few limbs and appendages, thus it allows for far more creativity and open thought then a low class uneducated sport like association football.

8) - Rugby is for gays only, I'm straight so why on earth would I want to play a game based upon pulling men to the ground before diving on them and grabbing their ass. No thanks.

gay_soccer_players.jpg_1286398604.jpg
Gay+Soccer+9.jpg

Seems we have a case of the kettle calling the pot black here!

9) - Rugby players have to pass it backwards to go forwards, what the hell is the point? The Americans realised this and made their own game, American Football.

Rugby players are allowed to kick the ball forward though like in association football so I really don't see your point. The fact we are allowed to pass with our hands at all means we are the superior game with a far more dynamic and challenging ruleset that requires more athletic ability.

10) - Scores in Rugby have no significance, the fans barely celebrate them because they know they'll be another 57474 penalties anyway, goals in football are rarer and mean a lot more.

Again rugby is all about strategy, take the penalty and go for the easy points or try and work a little harder and go for that little extra. Football is a snorefest and honestly the goals feel more like luck then any actual strategy the team put in place.

11) - Economics. Rugby fans call footballers overpaid (true) however this can be easily compared to cars. Why would you pay the price of an Aston Martin for a Ford Kia? There's a reason footballers are paid more, it's because there's actually interest in them because they are talented.

Average joe's like to pay lots of money to people that remind them of themselves... "he deserves that money because he is a ****** just like me!" It is the reason you have dudes like Peter Crouch become superstars!

On top of this, rugby has only been a pro sport for 18 years so of course we will have less money but that is slowly changing.

12) - [STOLEN] The 2006 World Cup Final drew an average live audience of 322 million people, with an eventual reach of 638 million people. Cumulatively speaking, over a billion people watched Italy beat France on penalties to lift the Jules Rimet Trophy. That's one sixth of the planet. In terms the tournament as a whole, a cumulative audience of 30 billion viewers watched the finals in Germany. By comparison, the 2007 Rugby World Cup tournament had a cumulative world television audience of 4.2 billion. That's 14%. Rugby is BETAMAX, Football is VHS. The bottom line is, Rugby sits behind Football, the Olympics, the Tour De France and the Superbowl in terms of a global fan base. That's right, more people watch men cycling up a hill in spandex than watch Rugby.

People don't want to watch what they can't understand. Football is for simpletons who couldn't pass their grade 10 and we all know their are a lot of those hanging around! Rugby requires a certain higher level of thinking to be able to understand the sport, don't worry though I wouldn't expect an inbred, simpleton such as yourself, that wasn't breastfed by his mother as a child to understand this though ;)

Last edited:
"Soccer" derives from Association Football

And of course, you all do understand why Americans will always call football "soccer"? No? Well, let me explain.

Its because their top professional competition is called "Major League Soccer" and is known by the acronym, "MLS".

Now, if it was called Major League Football......?
eek.gif
cheesy.gif

I'll sum it up in one argument.

I can walk into a pub/stadium/city anywhere in the world full of rugby fans, and be the only Wales supporter there, in a Wales shirt, singing the Welsh national anthem. I will be met with complete and utter acceptance, friendly banter, and often not buy a drink all day (if it's an away game).

THAT's what makes a great sport. (and GRRRRRRRReaaaaaaaat! fans(ok, Kellogs Frosties and Tony the Tiger help with the GRRRRRRRRReaaaat! bit))

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts