• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Football Thread

Those footballs that they used to head 40 years ago were so heavy and also even worse when wet, which is why are seeing the correlation now, as players like Astle's brains are examined. Sure it can't be good for any footballer now to constantly head the ball and more research needs to be done on the modern ball and effects on the brain.

I was inclined to agree with the argument on ball weight.

But then realised energy = 0.5* mass * velocity**2

So halving the mass only works if the ball speed has not risen by more than sqrt(2).

So it may not be quite that easy.

I was inclined to agree with the argument on ball weight.

But then realised energy = 0.5* mass * velocity**2

So halving the mass only works if the ball speed has not risen by more than sqrt(2).

So it may not be quite that easy.

physics was my weakest subject when I was a young 'un at school:confused:. So no idea. Just know I read about the weight of the balls they used 40-50 years ago and made sense to me about the link between heading it and dementia of those footballers who have died recently - I think Jimmy Hill was also mentioned. Very sad indeed.

I don't like soccer, but i love Mourinho. I'll watch spurs just for him. What a guy!

Not that you euros care, but the most important footie game on the planet is taking place right now: libertadores final. Just so you know.

World Club Champions!! Well done Liverpool!

Not that you euros care, but the most important footie game on the planet is taking place right now: libertadores final. Just so you know.

Yeah and the European Champions league winners just beat the Libertadores winners to become World club champions. :p:D.

Last edited:
san_jose_earthquakes.png

Last edited:
Not to sound like a dick (Which I will be) but the standard of the womens football world cup is pretty dire.

It's just a fact. The boys U-17 World Cup was played at the same time and it was clearly at a higher standard, making the appeal for equal pay in the women's game all the more ridiculous.

22 points ahead. Ok, I am beginning to believe the ***le is in sight and 30 years of hurt are coming to an end. :p

So Man City caught doing football the equivalent of Sarries. Premiership points deduction to follow. Part of me has no sympathy for their oil money. Although They have a point about PSG not being penalized as well.

Hi, I have questions about the Football in "Northern Ireland".
Is IFA Premiership part-time (semi-professional)?
As far as I know, Catholic Irish call Association Football "Soccer". How about the Ulster Protestants?
Is there any possible national stadium other than Windsor Park?

Premiership to return next month. Come on 2 more games to win for the ***le.

Just in case for those that don't know yet:

La Liga returns: 11 June (Sevilla vs Real Betis)
Premier League returns: 14 June (Aston Villa vs Sheffield Utd, Manchester City vs Arsenal)
Serie A returns: 20 June (Torina vs Parma)

Yeh, Bundesliga returned last month and playing in pretty much empty stadia. It's going to be weird for PL to do the same. Although still not clear on the whole neutral venue thing.

Hopefully, matches will be on live and free on TV though.

Yeh, Bundesliga returned last month and playing in pretty much empty stadia. It's going to be weird for PL to do the same. Although still not clear on the whole neutral venue thing.

Hopefully, matches will be on live and free on TV though.

Yeah, I keep hearing the neutral venue thing raised, but never addressed. If they don't do this, it's hard to see anything other than large gatherings ignoring social distancing.

Has showing the games free to air been mooted anywhere? I didn't consider this as a possibility and read something about charges for sports packages resuming, so this seems about as likely as beach goers behaving responsibly to me!

Yeah, I keep hearing the neutral venue thing raised, but never addressed. If they don't do this, it's hard to see anything other than large gatherings ignoring social distancing.

Has showing the games free to air been mooted anywhere? I didn't consider this as a possibility and read something about charges for sports packages resuming, so this seems about as likely as beach goers behaving responsibly to me!

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...fixtures-free-tv-watch-free-to-air-games-sky/

yes there are on sky and amazon. :) So far, not BT.:mad:

England v Scotland rewind from Euro 1996 on BBC 1. Happy memories.

Latest posts