• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

foreign players

foxybear

Academy Player
this is a joke why we allow foreigners playing for a country they weren't born in and being eligible to play for instance ireland because of residency i suppose there not good enough to play for the likes of the country they were born in i mean lionel messi played for barcelona most of his football career but he still played for argentina where he was BORN it needs to stop it was bad enough be able to play coz of your uncles grandads 2nd cousins were irish or english welsh scottish etc etc internationals arn't the same anymore!'

Wow, a birther.
Haven't seen one of those in 20-odd years.
The single most ridiculous desire in rugby fandom.
I agree its so odd. I get project player arguments. But like, I for example was born in france to an english father and scottish mother then grew up in britain from age 1... I speak no French and have no ties to the country. Nationality is far more complex than where your mother birthed you.

Marcus smith, born philiphenes, to a british parent, started rugby in Singapore; most of his development in britain from teens... so in this idea he just isnt english? Bizzare. Tom roebuck, born in scotland, but I bet if you spoke to him he in no way feels any ties there other than family and would do anything to play for england.

Last edited:
It is a bit of worry that the backline for 2025 Lions team will possibly made up entirely of players born outside the UK and Ireland

this is a joke why we allow foreigners playing for a country they weren't born in and being eligible to play for instance ireland because of residency i suppose there not good enough to play for the likes of the country they were born in i mean lionel messi played for barcelona most of his football career but he still played for argentina where he was BORN it needs to stop it was bad enough be able to play coz of your uncles grandads 2nd cousins were irish or english welsh scottish etc etc internationals arn't the same anymore!'
Not sure Marcus Smith would be expecting a call up from the well funded and run Philippines Rugby Football Union.

I agree its so odd. I get project player arguments. But like, I for example was born in france to an english father and scottish mother then grew up in britain from age 1... I speak no French and have no ties to the country. Nationality is far more complex than where your mother birthed you.

Marcus smith, born philiphenes, to a british parent, started rugby in Singapore; most of his development in britain from teens... so in this idea he just isnt english? Bizzare. Tom roebuck, born in scotland, but I bet if you spoke to him he in no way feels any ties there other than family and would do anything to play for england.
yeah, for every story of a player coming in as an adult thats failed to play internationally for their original choice and so found a gig somewhere else through residency there will be 10s of people with stories like yours of Smith...so it cant be hard and fast

Latest posts