• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

France aims to re-awaken the spirit of '98

S

shtove

Good article from the Guardian on how the locations in France are gearing up for the tournament:

http://sport.guardian.co.uk/rugbyworldcup2...2161182,00.html

France aims to re-awaken the spirit of '98
Donald McRae
Monday September 3, 2007
The Guardian

On a sleepy morning in the middle of Marseille, halfway down a pretty little side street called Rue Venture, Lionel Tonini ambles out into the sunshine. As the owner of the only rugby bar in town, Tonini looks up and down the empty street in wry resignation. The rest of the city, at the end of a vacation that seems to have swallowed the whole of August in a giant yawn, slumbers on. Marseille, a key World Cup venue, appears blissfully unaware that the world's greatest rugby tournament begins this Friday in Paris ...

Thats a very cool article. Makes me wish I could be there to experience it in person. I'm sure France will do the occasion justice!

The Wallabies had a ridiculous crowd for training the other day in Montpellier. Several thousand people turned up to the stadium and cheered for almost everything they did. Had it on the news down here.

The Wallabies had a ridiculous crowd for training the other day in Montpellier. Several thousand people turned up to the stadium and cheered for almost everything they did. Had it on the news down here.
[/b]

The Wallabies even make a lap of honor in order to thanks the public there.

I think this is going to be the biggest RWC from a popularity point of view. They have already sold 87% of the tickets. Since both Scotland and Wales failed to fill their stadiums this means that in France the stadiums will be more than 90% filled.

The Rugby athmosphere is increasing day after day. All the press magazines, including those dedicated to football, cover the event. Many cultural and sporting events related are organized everywhere in the country.

I heard this morning on the radio that the ABs were aclaimed by 5000 people when they arrived in Marseille. This is quite significant, taking into accout that Marseilles has lost her Rugby memory and overall that this was concomitant with the Paris-Marseille footbal match which is the match nobody would miss in Marseille, this is the French version of el clasico.

Nicolas-Sarkozy.jpg

Vive la France!

Latest posts