• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

France - Argentina

It's always the old story. France is absolutely inconsistent under pressure. That's what Argentinians did. They ran deadly off every ruck. They hunted the French all over the pitch and they (the French) lost their cool.
Anyway, I wouldn't rate it as a poor match. I think we've seen some good old fashion rugby. Rude, hard, just as the Argentinians are. Just look at that French driving maul from thirty metres out. They even put the backs in there, it was a eleven or twelve mass of people pushing (just as the spot reads "all behind the blues"), and the Pumas answered back by putting in their backs too! It's been terrific! Almost all the players were involved in that maul! Finally, it went down, there has been some fierce pick and drive near the line, and still the Pumas held on. That was really fantastic. I was standing in front of the screen with eyes wide open. That's been unbelievable! If that's not great rugby...
After that, anyway, the Argentinians tried to slow the game down every time the whistle blew. They were always down in pain for that thing or the other. That was a poor effort, in effect.
Still, I think that maul worth the admition price, really.

Ps: what do you guys think about the coreography? I didn't like it very much. All those masked people moving on the field... And those orrible machine... It was orrible. I liked, instead, to see the old players: Lomu, Edwards, Rives etc.

After seeing this game; the sooner they bring in the new rules currently being trialled in the ARC, the better.

<div class='quotemain'> Corleto has turned in to a genius. Contepomi is brilliant and rubbish. And why put Hernandez at 10 if he's only going to kick high balls? Let him run from deep at 15, and put Conti at 10 to risk some magic with the backline.

Great win for Argentina, but their core strength in the scrum was destroyed and their lineout is poor. They won't make it out of the group unless they restore the scrum and create tries off quick ball.

That's why we call it the group of death - in the first minute you're laughing, but in the final minute ... you're dead.

[/b]
Ireland is crap.
[/b][/quote]

i admit,ireland is crappy team

<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'> Corleto has turned in to a genius. Contepomi is brilliant and rubbish. And why put Hernandez at 10 if he's only going to kick high balls? Let him run from deep at 15, and put Conti at 10 to risk some magic with the backline.

Great win for Argentina, but their core strength in the scrum was destroyed and their lineout is poor. They won't make it out of the group unless they restore the scrum and create tries off quick ball.

That's why we call it the group of death - in the first minute you're laughing, but in the final minute ... you're dead.

[/b]
Ireland is crap.
[/b][/quote]

i admit,ireland is crappy team [/b][/quote]
Kiss me

Bunked over at Lankan's place for the match. Have to say the opening ceremony was a big f-cking embarassment to the sport.Absolutely unorganised.

Skrela was a failure at 10. Heymans was also bad at 15. Michalak continues to prove why he should be left out. Go Argies!

I just watched the re-play, can someone please explain to me why the French backline was so flat and bunched? Supporting players had absolutely no room to assess their options before a wabbly ball would be popped at them from all of 3 ft away.

There were a few good runs from both sides, and Chabal was good to watch for the hairy-man-beast factor of the game. As a whole though, I thought the French backline was looking tactically impotent and the Argentinian lineouts weren't too good either.

<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'>

[/b]
Ireland is crap.
[/b][/quote]

i admit,ireland is crappy team [/b][/quote]
Kiss me
[/b][/quote]

in public? B)

Good grief, I cannot believe that some blokes on here are saying that the standard of play was below par. FFS, THIS IS A GODDAMN WORLD CUP PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!![/b]
Just because its a WC doesnt mean everythings suddenly rosy. The tension, nerves, atmosphere all lead to mistakes.

I was cheering for the Argies (I shouldnt have, but I cant help shouting for the underdog), and while their defense was good and they competed at the breakdown like a pack of hounds, France couldnt put two passes together to put more then three or fou phases together. That was not down to some suddenly effective defensive system, it was down to pish poor play, and individual mistakes.

France made about 20 unforced and Argentina's ultra creative outhalf just banged it up in the air all day, so Heymans could drop it.

It was a great occasion and had lots of drama but lets not pretend that this was anywhere near quality rugby. Quality defense (from both sides) yeah, but nothing creative going forward from either side.

Pumas make great opponents play badly. That´s true and it a merit of Argentina. [/b]
Good point that. I have to say I was delighted for you lot yesterday and I also dissagree with a lot of people saying this is bad for Rugby. It isnt, its fecking great for Rugby.

On a side point, do any of the Argentinians here on the board see any problems with the performance or is everything rosy in the garden of Argentinian rugby?

It was an excellent match to watch, especially with all the pressure that Argentina put in France for most of the match. France did put together some really nice and flowing moves but that was all undone by an excellent Argentine tackle or interception, like the one which set up the first try of the World Cup.

In the end, Argentina played their hearts out and got the result. Congratulations to them! Wouldn't be good enough to beat the likes of New Zealand I think but one has to say now that Argentinian entry into either the Six or Tri nations is inevitable.

The big eight of World Rugby simply cannot ignore Argentina any more now....although the UAR still hasn't gotten its house in order, a weak excuse one expects for the Six Nations/SANZAR to delay having to ask Argentina to join the club I guess we'll see.

And what did I tell you! Michalak = RABBIT!

On a side point, do any of the Argentinians here on the board see any problems with the performance or is everything rosy in the garden of Argentinian rugby?[/b]

The lineouts just for start, it improved a little bit with Rimas Alvarez but still way too much lost balls. But for being an opener it was very good, at least enough to beat the host and favorite nation. The scrum wasn't as good as it could be and if you check the key plays it was Martin Scelzo the weak point, hopefully Omar Hasan would be back in his place and improve it (Roncero - Ledesma - Hasan is top class).

The game plan wasn't too exciting, kicking high and Manuel Contepomi trying to catch the ball (he managed to do it a couple of times) or wait for a french error. Felipe Contepomi made a couple of breaks, Hernandez tried very little too beyond kicking but again it was good enough. Great perfomances by Corleto and Agulla, I wasn't 100% sure about him taking into account he's an amateur (not for long I guess) but he played at the same level with the pro guys.

<div class='quotemain'>I think the bottom line is that if Chabal had played more than 20 minutes, France would have won.[/b]
...Chabal ate the grass in the match against Argentina, just from the start Felipe Contepomi made him feel what was going to happen. He made just one or two breaks and he was even stopped by Lucas Borges.
[/b][/quote]
He made just one or two breaks?! HE ONLY PLAYED 19 MINUTES!!!

Most forwards would be happy with 1 line break per game, let alone 2 line breaks!

A couple of line breaks in 19 minutes is pretty good mate.

I'm not saying Chabal played great, however you said he made 1 or 2 line breaks as if it was a crap effort. Come on mate.

Most forwards would be happy with 1 line break per game, let alone 2 line breaks![/b]

Maybe my English isn't good enough but I was referring to tackle breaks.

On a side point, do any of the Argentinians here on the board see any problems with the performance or is everything rosy in the garden of Argentinian rugby?
[/b]

It´s hard to talk about Pumas problems right now, since this is surely Argentina´s biggest win of all time, but there were some. I think first half was almost perfect for the team, and the tackling perfect almost all night (no penalties for off side against the Pumas after 10 French phases or so near the in goal, that was amazing!). The line was kinda weak, but I think the biggest problem was the kicking. If Todeschini returns to the starting lineup, moving Hernandez as a fullback and, most important, Corleto as a winger, Pumas would be a little more dangerous, I think, and wont have to rely only in theyr attitude and will for tackling.

But, again, this is an amazing day for Argentinian rugby, there would be time in the future to cry about the last penalty missed, that would have left France without a bonus point!

<div class='quotemain'>Most forwards would be happy with 1 line break per game, let alone 2 line breaks![/b]

Maybe my English isn't good enough but I was referring to tackle breaks. [/b][/quote]
Your English was fine, your understanding of rugby and Chabal are what lack.

Good match, shite if you're a France Supporter, or a devout Chabalist. Argentina played their hearts out, and proved to have both strong defence and the stamina to last the full 80 at full force (which is what people were doubting). One thing to keep in mind is that a France v Argentina match is sort of unique as a large chunk of the Argies play their rugby in France. So, they truly understand their opposition as they play with them or against them all the time.
France have to pull it together to do anything real in this tournament. I just hope they don't pull it together when they face Ireland. Rugby World Take Note: Give Argentina A Competition!!!

Just felt that hernandez wasn't very creative with the ball in hand. All I remember was him getting the ball everytime and banging it ridiculously high into the atmosphere. That was it. Unless i missed something while mucking around with my mates.

I thought Hernandez played very well.
He showed his strength and his vision but the Garry Owens were working for him and Argentina...so why stop, i say.

It was a great game.
A well deseverd victory to the argies, they did enough to keep the frenchies away, and could extend the score with the 2 penalties missed in the last minutes.