France Hope to Land Gatland

bushytop

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Pontypridd
So there is a new article up on WOL (don't laugh) stating that the FFR are targeting Gatland post-RWC to become their next coach and put the French International team back on the front foot.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/wales-boss-warren-gatland-being-16000459

If anyone could turn that super-tanker around and head towards success... Gatland would probably do as good a job as any (if not better). As a romantic I would really like to see him get the All Black gig but if the French are waving wedge and New Zealand are 'still' luke warm at best, who knows.

Either way, if he returns to the Principality Stadium with either side he will get an unbelievably warm welcome (maybe not if he rolled into town with England though eh?).

Have France had a non French coach? With 2023 it could be a case of desperate times mean desperate measures, but I cant see them picking a coach if they cant speak French.

Have France had a non French coach? With 2023 it could be a case of desperate times mean desperate measures, but I cant see them picking a coach if they cant speak French.

I think Gats would probably get away with knowing the word 'non'... at least for the first few months :p.

It'd be a brilliant deal for France, Garland seems like the perfect coach for them. Not convinced it'd be so great for Gatland, it seems like a fairly terrible job but maybe he wants a challenge.

He is a well repected coach in world rugby, great for france and i beleive good for him to. A totally different challenge but i believe he will make the right decisions and bring in the right people around him, the french have a talanted squad with many players who wernt used this 6N. He wont make stupid selection decisions, has dupont, ntamack and vakatawa(who has been playing well and not used) ect. Team he could put out could be dangerous, well coached and huge. Just cant take howley with him or there will be no french flare going forwards.

Great move for him because if he turns them around then it truely shows his worth as a top coach in world rugby(where i believe he is there now but france takes him to a new level as they are crap atm)

This talk of the union hiring an outsider to bail them out of their own mess cracks me up everytime :D

Gatland's first meeting with the LNR

This talk of the union hiring an outsider to bail them out of their own mess cracks me up everytime :D

Gatland's first meeting with the LNR

Yeah. While Gatland will do better than Brunel in the broken system it'll still be broken and French rugby will continue to underperform. France should absolutely be perennial world number 1s given the population and affluence of the country and rugby being the number one sport anywhere south of Paris and west of Lyon. (or so I was told a couple years ago by drunk Touloisains?) Gatland won't get near cracking the potential, no one would.

Yeah. While Gatland will do better than Brunel in the broken system it'll still be broken and French rugby will continue to underperform. France should absolutely be perennial world number 1s given the population and affluence of the country and rugby being the number one sport anywhere south of Paris and west of Lyon. (or so I was told a couple years ago by drunk Touloisains?) Gatland won't get near cracking the potential, no one would.
correction: the union will continue underperform.

Either Toulouse or Racing will be in the HCup semis. And Clermont are going to take the Challenge. They don't look the least bit broken...

The FFR can't afford Gatland. Noves is counter suing for 1.5M euros.

I did say "desperate times call for desperate measures"... and this is desperate!

I quite like that they have to ask, it shows they actually care about the nationality of people representing them on an international stage. Most unions couldn't care less and I think that undermines the whole ethos of international competition.

I predict they definitely won't pick someone who is not fluent in French. I presume Cotter will be.

Laporte and the union pretending they're a democracy. Hilarious.

Note that he's asking the presidents of amateur clubs. What do they care. The amateur clubs don't work with the national coach. The pro clubs are the ones that supply the internationals. They should be the union's first port of call on the issue.

This is Bernard covering his arse with the people that elected him. He doesn't care about the national team. It's about retaining power and getting re-elected in 2020.

I predict they definitely won't pick someone who is not fluent in French. I presume Cotter will be.
Bring Stern Vern on! I love his funny accent and he's having a nightmare at Montpellier. That'll get him out.

So the amateurs clubs who put Bernard in the job have spoken. 59% are against a foreigner as national selector. Gatland just dropped out of French class :D

Bernard and the union are screwed either way. None of the leading French T14 coaches want the job. Hard to blame them.

I bet Pierre Mignoni gets the job. Not that he's qualified but he's a Laporte yes man - will do as qualification to coach second division.

https://www.rugbyrama.fr/rugby/xv-d...selectionneur-etranger_sto7225120/story.shtml

Kinda like if it ain't broke, don't fix it, except it clearly is broke and the water from the burst pipe is now up to your chest.

Other one that springs to mind is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.

Kinda like if it ain't broke, don't fix it, except it clearly is broke and the water from the burst pipe is now up to your chest.

Other one that springs to mind is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.

Yep French rugby is the deffinition of insanity.

French rugby is failing shall we fight to get a head coach outside france who is established and a proven winner amd class coach? No no no lets hire the next french coach that applies....he will be the guy i have a feeling.

Pretty sure thats how the meetings go.

Latest posts