• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wales (The Gatland returns thread)

So, Gatland and Nigel Walker are having a
Press conference this afternoon. Must be confirming that Gatland is staying on for the long term. I must admit, like I was when we first appointed him, I'm underwhelmed. I thought it made total sense in the short term with him moving up to a director or rugby role, but long term head coach? Not for me.

I can't go along with this successful tournament stuff either to be honest. Yeah we were **** 6N but looking at the draw we had and limping out to Argentina in the quarters wasn't anything special. I swear the constant reminding from Gatland about how we'd never get out the group has spun this into what a great tournament we had. I've always backed our players (most of them anyway) and still do, but think we're being left behind with the turgid rugby we're playing, and will continue to play under him. I'm probably being to harsh and I'll always back him and the team even if I'd rather have someone like Jamie Joseph, but the grand slam days are over, but maybe they were over no matter who we appointed.

I can't go along with this successful tournament stuff either to be honest. Yeah we were **** 6N but looking at the draw we had and limping out to Argentina in the quarters wasn't anything special.
Honestly it feel like you guys underperformed, got the rub of the green against Fiji. Beat a severely underperforming Australia side and then lost to Argentina who England beat with 14 men. Okay you gave some other sides a kicking and looked okay but it should of been a semi-final against real opposition and putting a good show in there that Wales had a minimum target (England are the same target as well).

Honestly it feel like you guys underperformed, got the rub of the green against Fiji. Beat a severely underperforming Australia side and then lost to Argentina who England beat with 14 men. Okay you gave some other sides a kicking and looked okay but it should of been a semi-final against real opposition and putting a good show in there that Wales had a minimum target (England are the same target as well).
I think we did what we do well for most of the game against Fiji and all of Australia, though as you rightly point out a severely under performing one, but most definitely underperformed in the quarters, which was when it really mattered.

Really, though, the point is I can grant all you said (and I don't really think anything you say is that off the mark) but, like England, we're never troubling a top 4 side. I don't really care about a semi to be honest, we've done that 2 out of the previous 3 world cups we should be aiming high other wise what's the point.

But yeah, can't disagree with your general point that it feels like we've underperformed.

Like England, I think the issues are above the manager. The WRU and RFU really needs to sort out the game there and just what are they doing at club level.

Confirmed taking us through to 2027. Said we have showed what level we can perform at or something which is worrying. The best level we have shown can beat a England or Argentina or maybe Scotland on any given day but is losing 99 times out of 100 against anything the top 4 are doing.

I think we did what we do well for most of the game against Fiji and all of Australia, though as you rightly point out a severely under performing one, but most definitely underperformed in the quarters, which was when it really mattered.

Really, though, the point is I can grant all you said (and I don't really think anything you say is that off the mark) but, like England, we're never troubling a top 4 side. I don't really care about a semi to be honest, we've done that 2 out of the previous 3 world cups we should be aiming high other wise what's the point.

But yeah, can't disagree with your general point that it feels like we've underperformed.
A semi should be the minimum target for 9 sides (TRC+6 Nations-Italy) but this tournament specifically about getting that far is about going up against top 4 opposition and competing. Thats Wales/England issue they aren't competing at that level, Wales didn't even get to measure against that yardstick. But we're mostly in agreement.

Gatland says we need to develop 10s and 15s which I agree with (which is also why I would've taken Ioan Lloyd and Tom Rogers to this World Cup instead of Halfpenny and Anscombe) but very worrying that he doesn't appear to see any gaping holes at 3 and in the second row.

Now obviously for me, as I've saying for ages, the second row would be less of a problem as I'd be saying to Tshiunza at Wales, for the foreseeable, you're going to be a lock who can play 6 rather than the other way round so then at least we'd have Rowlands, Tshiunza, Jenkins and Rhys Davies coming through with Adam Beard as a back up, that is something we can work with but considering Tshiunza isn't being considered a lock at all we're left with the other 3 with Beard being one of the first names on the team sheet even though apparently his main point of difference is our lineout which is working brilliantly.

But 3 is a massive problem. I would say props or front row in general is where I want to see a half dozen or so kids coming through but I just don't see it. I think Gatland even said 8 as another position we need depth and hasn't even touched on the front row. As an aside, on the 8 front, I tip Morgan Morse to be involved at the next WC and in the Wales set up in the next 2 years (fingers crossed)

I generally don't worry about Wales developing back 3 athletes. We tend to do well on that front. I also don't tend to worry about developing back row players either. I get the worry at 10 but again I'm far less worried about that than I am the other areas I've mentioned. Luckily for Wales I'm just a random nobody who can't tell his arse from his elbow but it seems obvious to me looking in from the outside.

Not that anyone cares but the "squad" which is really a matchday 23 for the Ba Ba's match has been announced.

Forwards

Corey Domachowski, Elliot Dee, Dewi Lake, Nicky Smith, Keiron Assiratti, Leon Brown, Adam Beard, Ben Carter, Teddy Williams, Dan Lydiate, Jac Morgan (Captain), Taine Plumtree, Aaron Wainwright.

Backs
Kieran Hardy, Tomos Williams, Sam Costelow, Cai Evans, Mason Grady, George North, Johnny Williams, Rio Dyer, Leigh Halfpenny, Tom Rogers

So something like:

1. Domachowski
2. Lake
3. Brown
4. Beard
5. Carter
6. Plumtree
7. Morgan
8. Wainwright
9. Williams
10. Costelow
11. Dyer
12. Williams
13. Grady
14. Rogers
15. Halfpenny

16. Dee
17. Smith
18. Assiratti
19. Teddy Williams
20. Lydiate
21. Hardy
22. Evans
23. North

I feel like Gatland + Biggar pose a natural ceiling to what this team can do. They've both been top servants to Welsh rugby but time for something new? Olyy mentioned 1/2p but also Dan Lydiate - granted he wasn't a starter in the tournament but that selection has no future.

Like all the other home nations besides Ireland, Wales look well stocked in some areas (notably back-row), but short in others.

I wonder if the decision to keep Gatland is based on:

1. Finances. Him not failing to get out of the group which meant the clause to get rid of him couldn't be activated. Can the WRU afford to pay him off and hire a new HC?
2. Lack of alternatives. Jamie Joseph was mentioned but I feel his stock has dropped since 2019 given Japan's recent form and failure to get out of the group.

The coach I would want is Joe Schmidt but I doubt he would leave NZ given he has already stated he moved back there for family reasons.

I wonder if the decision to keep Gatland is based on:

1. Finances. Him not failing to get out of the group which meant the clause to get rid of him couldn't be activated. Can the WRU afford to pay him off and hire a new HC?
2. Lack of alternatives. Jamie Joseph was mentioned but I feel his stock has dropped since 2019 given Japan's recent form and failure to get out of the group.

The coach I would want is Joe Schmidt but I doubt he would leave NZ given he has already stated he moved back there for family reasons.
It's probably a bit of both to be honest. Walker was talking Gatland up so much prior to the tournament that I doubt even a group stage exit would've led to Gatland getting sacked (though the clause was mentioned by Gatland)

The main reason I think of Joseph is because he's used to playing a system that doesn't revolve around a super strong front 5 and plays a brand of rugby I like but I agree his stock is down. I actually had no clue what he's up to and just looked and it seems he's taken up a position at the Highlanders but I'm sure we could've tempted him. I'd take Pat Lam as well (and he's said he'd love to coach us) but as others have told me on here he's on big wages so would refer to your point 1.

It's all moot anyway. I'll back Gatland as always but definitely going to be a tricky couple of years coming up for sure.

It's probably a bit of both to be honest. Walker was talking Gatland up so much prior to the tournament that I doubt even a group stage exit would've led to Gatland getting sacked (though the clause was mentioned by Gatland)

The main reason I think of Joseph is because he's used to playing a system that doesn't revolve around a super strong front 5 and plays a brand of rugby I like but I agree his stock is down. I actually had no clue what he's up to and just looked and it seems he's taken up a position at the Highlanders but I'm sure we could've tempted him. I'd take Pat Lam as well (and he's said he'd love to coach us) but as others have told me on here he's on big wages so would refer to your point 1.

It's all moot anyway. I'll back Gatland as always but definitely going to be a tricky couple of years coming up for sure.

Dave Rennie is another possibility. I think he was interviewed for the job previously but lost out to Pivac?

At least we know Gatland will ruffle a few feathers (mostly opposition fans/coaches/players) with his pre/post match pressers which should be entertaining. Hopefully his contract with Wales doesn't include release clause for the Lions because by thunder someone else (with higher stock) deserves a shot. Step forward Andrew Farrell.

Dave Rennie is another possibility. I think he was interviewed for the job previously but lost out to Pivac?

At least we know Gatland will ruffle a few feathers (mostly opposition fans/coaches/players) with his pre/post match pressers which should be entertaining. Hopefully his contract with Wales doesn't include release clause for the Lions because by thunder someone else (with higher stock) deserves a shot. Step forward Andrew Farrell.
Yeah I would've been very happy with Rennie. Rassie for the lols as well but isn't he going to Ireland in some capacity? I'd happily roll the dice on any young up and comer like ROG to be honest. Or if we were looking to maintain a bit of an old vibe then move Gatland upstairs and throw some money at Edwards.

Surely there is no way Gatland gets another Lions gig, not because he's been a bad coach or anything but I mean, not only is his time up, but when you've got Farrell doing what's he's doing it's a no brainier. On current form, though, you could just send the players over to Australia with no coaches and they'd still beat Australia 3-0.

Yeah I'd be very happy with Rennie. Rassie for the lols as well but isn't he going to Ireland in some capacity? I'd happily roll the dice on any young up and comer like ROG to be honest. Or if we were looking to maintain a bit of an old vibe then move Gatland upstairs and throw some money at Edwards.

Surely there is no way Gatland gets another Lions gig, not because he's been a bad coach or anything but I mean, not only is his time up, but when you've got Farrell doing what's he's doing it's a no brainier. On current form, though, you could just send the players over to Australia with no coaches and they'd still beat Australia 3-0.

Owen Farrell as Lions head coach and tour captain. That's one hell of a handicap!

I heard about the Rassie to Ireland and Faz snr to England rumours but not sure how much is in that. Nienabar obvs going to Leinster but not sure about Ireland. I don't see Faz snr going anywhere soon. He'd be mad to leave that set up and conveyor belt of talent.

I'd like to see Rassie replace Jones as Australia HC which might make the Lions tour more interesting!

Latest posts