• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Welsh squad under Gatland

So apparently LRZ only approached on Sunday and has everything done and dusted by Tuesday lunchtime?

Being a little bit interested thanks to his Dad is one thing, but has he ever mentioned this "dream" to anyone else?

Despite the nice words I expect both club and country are somewhat dischuffed.

I'm quite annoyed by this and I'm not even bloody Welsh!
Seen people on social media saying they heard rumours weeks ago.

I think it's safe to say that Kieran Williams will never play for Wales again and all for a turnover that wasn't his mistake. Williams had the audacity to make a good carry from a restart which made about 5 or so yards and then nobody cleared out the ruck and we lost the ball. Maybe Gatland should've told him to not make any yards when carrying or something. What a load of ********. I don't hate Watkin, he's a decent enough player but he's not got that bit of X factor that Kieran has. Watkin has a solid defence game though which is probably why he's in. Good luck to him and all that but such a shame about Williams.

I think it's safe to say that Kieran Williams will never play for Wales again and all for a turnover that wasn't his mistake. Williams had the audacity to make a good carry from a restart which made about 5 or so yards and then nobody cleared out the ruck and we lost the ball. Maybe Gatland should've told him to not make any yards when carrying or something. What a load of ********. I don't hate Watkin, he's a decent enough player but he's not got that bit of X factor that Kieran has. Watkin has a solid defence game though which is probably why he's in. Good luck to him and all that but such a shame about Williams.
Ospreys selections haven't helped Kieran this season either. He's fallen behind Watkin in the pecking order for whatever reason (I'm also not sold on Watkin, who's solid and little more). Kieran played out of position at 13 when North pulled out at the 11th hour last week and as such didn't have his usual impact.

If North is out against Scotland I imagine Gatland would go for Grady (which I won't be unhappy about) but I'd like to have a look at Roberts who's the more natural, well rounded 13 but obviously doesn't have the power Grady has.

While Tompkins had a good WC and he's a tough little fucker but I guess from a defensive pov having a bit of bulk alongside him isn't the worst idea and Roberts isn't the biggest.

Not that I'm surprised but Nigel Walker basically confirmed that there's not really anything Gatland can do that will make them sack him before the next WC. He's locked in. I'm trying not to be all doom and gloom. Its most definitely is not all Gatlands fault, its not even mainly his fault but I just had massive doubts about him before and I'm not seeing anything from us at the moment that has minimised those concerns, it's cementing them if anything.

It was 100% the right call to get him in for the WC on a short term deal. There was the well reported break in his contract that apparently stated that if we didn't get out of the group then he'd be gone but there were also rumours (which I really liked the sound of so were probably ********) that post WC Gatland would move upstairs (much like he did with the chiefs after that horrible run they were on under him)

I watched those Chiefs games as well and I remember sticking up for him as there were a lot of close, plucky defeats in those games (sound familiar?) but they were so boring to watch. I was hoping we'd see a slightly different Gatland out there back home coaching players day to day but it was like watching a past great losing his grip on the game. It wasn't like they just moved him upstairs and they started winning either. They moved him upstairs and started doing the opposite of everything he was doing and started winning. Anyway, despite the concerns, at the time and given the options or lack of, he was the right appointment on a short term basis, but I'm just at the point where I can't see us getting significantly better under him over the next 2-3 years, or ever. It's like it was in the last days of Pivac where you don't even know what team we're trying to be and you question whether the players have all brought in not helped by them not looking like they have a ******* clue what they're doing half the time. Say what you want about Pivac but as bad as it was he wanted to stay and fight ( I'm glad he didn't or rather wasn't allowed) but I was surprised Gatland confirmed he offered to resign. I mean I think he should but it's a bit of a red flag for me.

Players on the pitch are the thing that matter most and rebuilds are hard but getting the right coaching set up is so crucial. Look at Italy for quick turnarounds. Sure they've hard some very good young players playing for a few years now but it's still been a big change with a significant, immediate improvement and playing some great stuff too. I also, at my core and it's kind of illogical I accept, but I just don't ever think you should go back. Once they're gone they're gone and we just needed to move on but obviously here we are.

Anyway, as I said at the start Walker, and Abi Tierney when Gatland offered his resignation, have both confirmed that Gatland isn't going anywhere which is no surprise and as long as he's here I'll try and back him as much as I can. I don't like how he can be a bit overly pessimistic at times when things aren't going well and you never really see him take any responsibility in public (a common trait amongst a lot of managers to be fair) but he has been talking about hope for the future and he seems genuine and I agree with him too. I also think, that while I believe he's the Mourinho of rugby, that he can still identify good players and, generally speaking, pick good teams and we've still got some good players. Just put the ******* 25 cap rule in the ******* bin ffs and give him a half fighting chance. Whore out all the players we can to any country possible (even Patchell is doing well for the Highlanders - if he isn't injured already), give LRZ food poisoning before his big trail and get him back and drop Beard and that's like 85% of our problems fixed.

So WoL have put the following side forward for the summer tour to Aus :

G.Thomas, Lake, Francis
Jenkins, Rowlands
Tshiunza, Wainwright, Morgan

T.Williams, Anscombe
Grady, J.Roberts
Dyer, L.Williams, Adams

Dee, N.Smith, Assiratti, Beard, Reffell, G.Davies, Costellow, Beetham

Link

Honestly, there's a number of issues with this side imo.

- Loosehead is a position that needs to do more than just being a hard worker, which is the main acolade directed towards Gareth Thomas. Just look at the likes of Porter, Genge etc. who are dynamic and physical around the field. I think Thomas plays more like a traditional tighthead in the open, putting in his tackles and offering himself as a carrier without being a line-breaker. Unfortunately, the one player who could offer that for us, Rhys Carre is now unavailable for selection, brilliant! Perhaps Nicky Smith offers more than Thomas though, with his footwork before contact and ability over the ball.

- Tshiunza hasn't proven anything as yet, certainly not to be parachuted into the side ahead of the likes of Reffell or Young. I know what WoL are doing here, trying to get a physical 6 onto the field, but we probably need to work to our strengths here which is undeniably 2 potential world class players in Reffell and Jac Morgan. So I'd be playing both in the same backrow.

- Is anscombe the answer at 10? He has barely played a handful of games since the 2019 wc! If we're pinning our hopes on him, then god help us. The issue is that it's pretty clear that Costellow and Lloyd aren't anywhere near ready either (if they ever will be). I've maintained for years that Jarrod Evans is the answer, especially if paired with a 12 who can share the kicking responsibilities because Evans suffers a similar issue to Costellow and Lloyd, with his kicking from hand lacking distance. Sheedy is another who could be fully back in the frame.

- Is Grady the answer at 12? Possibly. He looked food there v Italy, and he could fulfill that carrying option we probably need. I do like the look of that center pairing on paper, but both have a lot to learn.

- I don't understand why we would want to drop Winnett after a decent 6N imo. He's got a ton to learn and improve upon, but he showed enough promise to persavere with. If Liam returns to the side, it should be on the wing instead of Adams who's done little in a while tbh.

- What does Beard offer from the bench? Certainly not impact, or versatility. This is where Tshiunza offers something imo, as a hybrid lock/6 option on the bench.

- Gareth Davies must be a joke after his recent outings. Pickings are slim behind Tomos Williams, but Gareth Davies is neither the here and now, or the future at his age - so lets pick younger options and move on already.

- Again, based on the 6N just gone, I don't see what Costellow offers. He needs to go away and re-establish himself at the Scarlets, because he's gone backwards in recent seasons. At least Ioan Lloyd offers versatility.

So for me I'd be looking at the following side:

N.Smith, Lake, Francis
Jenkins, Rowlands
Morgan, Wainwright, Reffell

T.Williams, J.Evans
Grady, J.Roberts
Dyer, Winnett, Williams

Dee, Domachowski, Assiratti, Tshiunza, Young, Hardy, Sheedy, Grace.

Grace is a complete punt honestly. I'm not that keen on Hardy eirher, but no other 9 has properly put themselves forward. Blacker, Morgan-Williams, ans Bevan have shown glimpses though.

All our loose heads are a much of muchness imo. All to a decent standard so not a bad thing but noting to write home about. I'd probably just about stick with Thomas on experience. The WOL Anscombe selection is a joke.

If I was in charge:

Thomas, Lake, (random class player I've stolen from another country
Jenkins Rowlands
Morgan Wainwright Reffell

Tomos Williams, Lloyd
Hawkins Grady
Dyer Winnett LRZ

Bench: Dee, Carre, (random class player I've stolen from another country), Tshiunza, Young/Basham, Hardy, Evans, Grace

LRZ has a big day today apparently according to the LRZ obsessed WOL. I've never wanted anyone to fail at something as much as this. Wish someone would put a bit of e-coli in his breakfast.

LRZ has a big day today apparently according to the LRZ obsessed WOL. I've never wanted anyone to fail at something as much as this. Wish someone would put a bit of e-coli in his breakfast.
Why. It would be a great achievement for him if he were to make it and a superb experience.
Can hardly blame a lad for really testing himself.

I admire him for taking the risk.

If you really hate him you should hope he goes to Green Bay, Cleveland, or buffalo. Jacksonville might even be worse. The first three might remind him of wales just Colder.

Why. It would be a great achievement for him if he were to make it and a superb experience.
Can hardly blame a lad for really testing himself.

I admire him for taking the risk.
I don't blame him at all, and I certainly agree it would be a great achievement but I'm a petty, bitter, selfish individual who cares little about what LRZ wants but does care significantly more about retaining what few world class players we have in the Welsh rugby team. It's nothing more than that really.

I don't think it's much of a risk for him to be honest. If he succeeds it's a great achievement if he fails he walks straight back into the Wales team in less than a year

I don't blame him at all, and I certainly agree it would be a great achievement but I'm a petty, bitter, selfish individual who cares little about what LRZ wants but does care significantly more about retaining what few world class players we have in the Welsh rugby team. It's nothing more than that really.

I don't think it's much of a risk for him to be honest. If he succeeds it's a great achievement if he fails he walks straight back into the Wales team in less than a year
I 100% agree but it like this realistically - If he fails it more likely he will end up in France for big money.

Regards Wales I think it a case of getting structures right and regions all on same page too.
Wales are in a poor place now but realistically there a huge drain of experiences that has left the scene together so the transition was always going to be felt.

I 100% agree but it like this realistically - If he fails it more likely he will end up in France for big money.

Regards Wales I think it a case of getting structures right and regions all on same page too.
Wales are in a poor place now but realistically there a huge drain of experiences that has left the scene together so the transition was always going to be felt.
I don't care where he plays his club rugby, in fact I hope he carries on playing outside of Wales.

I totally agree that there are far more important things to fix in Wales then getting LRZ back in the Wales team but all the talk of structures and infrastructure etc etc are hard fixes and, knowing the WRU, will likely never get addressed properly so, in the short term, I just want our best players back playing for Wales. Also, with England poaching our top end winger talent we desperately need wingers as well as Adams looks done to be honest.

I don't care where he plays his club rugby, in fact I hope he carries on playing outside of Wales.

I totally agree that there are far more important things to fix in Wales then getting LRZ back in the Wales team but all the talk of structures and infrastructure etc etc are hard fixes and, knowing the WRU, will likely never get addressed properly so, in the short term, I just want our best players back playing for Wales. Also, with England poaching our top end winger talent we desperately need wingers as well as Adams looks done to be honest.
Don't get me wrong. All very valid fair points and unfortunately it isn't an easy fix but will need to be fixed eventually

Sadly he's been looked at properly by one of the top teams so chances of him not making it all looks slim.

Latest posts