TRF_Cymro

Cymro The White
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Barbarians
_51708535_000100112-1.jpg

Fulham are to erect a commemorative statue of late American singer Michael Jackson at Craven Cottage at the behest of club chairman Mohamed Al Fayed.

Al Fayed was a close friend of Jackson - referred to as "The King of Pop" - who died in Los Angeles in June 2009.

The statue will be unveiled on Sunday, 3 April, before Fulham's home Premier League game against Blackpool.

"I hope many fans of his will visit the statue from far and wide," Al Fayed told Fulham's official website.

"And I hope that Fulham fans will appreciate seeing the finest performer in the world amongst them, the finest fans in the world."

The statue, depicting Jackson in one of his most iconic poses, will stand on the banks of the River Thames, adjacent to the stadium's Riverside and Hammersmith stands.

Al Fayed had initially planned on placing the statue outside Harrods, but following his sale of the Knightsbridge landmark store in May last year, switched the site to Craven Cottage.

Jackson visited Craven Cottage on April 10th 1999 as a guest of Al Fayed to see their 2-0 victory over Wigan in League Two.

The singer also visited Exeter City in June 2002 as a guest of celebrity spoon-bender Uri Geller, who was a director of the Grecians at the time.

Jackson was later made an honorary chairman of the Devon club.

"Michael Jackson was truly a legend, a term used too often in this modern world saturated in the hyperbole surrounding celebrity," added Al Fayed.

"He was my friend, a man with whom I shared many happy memories and who died a tragic and untimely death.

Fans cheer Michael Jackson at the 02 arena

"He left behind a legacy of music so vast it takes one's breath away; from a precocious talent to an ingenuity and groundbreaking modernity that shall never be repeated.

"It shall often be imitated, but it will never be replicated.

"Michael Jackson was, and shall always remain, one of a kind."

Jackson is recognised as one of the world's most successful recording artists, whose contribution to music, dance and fashion made him a hugely recognised global figure.

In a career spanning four decades he has sold an estimated 750m records worldwide, with 13 number ones in the United States and seven chart-toppers in the UK.

His album "Thriller" has the distinction of being the biggest selling of all time worldwide, with more than 70m copies sold.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/f/fulham/9427113.stm

I think its a bad idea it might go well with the black and white of Fulham but what on earth are Fulham doing :lol:

Wackos permanent residence may be at craven cottege it seems, but it's the West Ham fans who are blowing bubbles...

This makes no sense what so ever! Just because the owner was a friend of Jacksons doesn't mean they should have a statue outside a Football ground that Jackson had NO! part of other than he wen't to a game once. Is Fulham becoming so irrelevent that they need a statue of Michael Jackson at there ground just so people can visit it?

This makes no sense what so ever! Just because the owner was a friend of Jacksons doesn't mean they should have a statue outside a Football ground that Jackson had NO! part of other than he wen't to a game once. Is Fulham becoming so irrelevent that they need a statue of Michael Jackson at there ground just so people can visit it?

I take your point but at the end of the day the way you have to look at it is that Al Fayed owns Fulham so he can build whatever he wants there. Put it this way, if you wanted to build a statue in your back garden you could, its YOUR house and YOUR back garden. It doesn't make Fulham irrelevant, its still the same Fulham, still has the same fans, same stadium, same players, its just the OWNER has decided to build a statue nearby.

I still don't get how Jacko was linked to Fulham FC.

I dont think visiting a stadium once because you are friends with their CURRENT owner means you deserve to have a statue of yourself outside it just because you are otherwise well known.

I don't understand the whole cult of personality that Micheal Jackson had he was a very good performer but I never really enjoyed any of his music , I also noticed the massive amount of people who were suddenly his biggest fan upon hearing the news of his death and perhaps his greatest era was before my time but in my opinion there was better music made before, during and after his career.

Now, now, chairman and clubs have often tacitly told their fans/supporters to **** off

However actually going to the media and telling your fans to go to hell? You really can't beat it!

I seriously can't believe that Al Fayed did this, he needs to take a long hard look at the man in the mirror

I wonder if the statue is made of stone or plastic, hope its the former or else it might get vandalised by a smooth criminal

:p

Just for anyone who hasn't seen this absolute monstrosity here it is.

Michael-Jackson-statue-Fulham.jpg

Looks like a giant action figure.

My bad, scrolled down on the first page and must of missed it. haha

I feel bad for the Fulham fans... I can only imagine the flack they are going to take from visiting fans singing in the Cottage stands. It's going to be brutal!

*** Scratches 'Comedian' off his list of potential careers***

I love how the one Fulham representative says "People will queue to come and visit it from all over the UK"

Anyone booked their tickets yet?

People will come and visit it from all over the UK.... Mostly wearing Stone Island tops, Burberry baseball hats and carrying flick knives.

Do not click if you're aged under 18.

Last edited by a moderator:
the main problem of this statue is the fact it looks like a tacky knock off from madame tussauds. If your gonna do a tribute in such a risky place, then at least make it tasteful. Its a shame that the great one has been commemorated with such an odd statue.(and no i dont mean the Rock - although that would be amazing).

Latest posts