• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Gaelic Football 2005 for PS2...

R

raziel_eire

now I know alot of people won't know or care much about this game but I thought I'd give it a go anyways...

It was initially talked about way back in November 2003 and very little has been announced for it since. I've sent a few mails, quite some time ago to IRGurus and the GAA with some response, but nothing has really come to light in the last 6-7 months...

what I did learn was:
1) That they were thinking of using the eyetoy camera to enable you to enter your own face into the game... a bit of a gimic but who knows it might work.
2) They were also considering getting an Irish (Gaeilge) language option for the game as they were in negotiations with different folk back in Ireland...
3) More recently, new software has been developed and this is causing a hold up in regards to the games development

... I'd heard in mentioned this game would be ready for mid-April 2005, what are the chances of that?

now the thing is, its been developed by IRGurus Interactive who are based in Melbourne, Australia - the same guys who make the AFL games...

so do any of the Aussie chaps down there know anyone connected with this company? ... I only ask as there is next to no info up here and perhaps others have been in contact with/know them in relation to their AFL games (a long shot but I thought I'd try)

cheers for any interest or news anyone can offer!

i've heard in the past that those afl games you've mentoined were supposed to be pure monkey shite, totally unplayable embarrassments.

I managed to get the last version of AFL (2004) cheap off ebay to give it a try when I heard of the GAA game was being made...

it wasn't very good, catching and jumping in particular were (in my opinion) controlled terribly - very poor way of implementing some of the basics and there was more, but having said that, I played it alot more often then Rugby 2004, it was more accessible, flowed better and if you learnt what the flaws were you could try and avoid/not use some them

... now I know its not much of a complement to say it was better then R2004 (constipation is better then that pile of shite!)... but it was not the worst effort at a sports game tho it was greatly flawed and after a while I did tire of playing it due to its flaws (and lack of real interest in AFL)

... would not expect any great things from a GAA game "if" and "when" it does happen... it would have to be a major improvement over the AFL games and I doubt I'd pay full price for it

I like watching the Irish stuff on the TV when its on, maybe a hurling/gaelic football doubel pack would be good.

Originally posted by woodie@Feb 5 2005, 04:38 AM
I like watching the Irish stuff on the TV when its on, maybe a hurling/gaelic football doubel pack would be good.
thats been noted by most people with any interest in the sports ... they'd like to see the 2 codes as games...

but in reality it was never a goer - the GAA saw a chance to make a game on the quick and cheap using an already created game engine for AFL... never intended on looking at hurling at all (mores the pity)... and this quick and easy option seems to be biting them back, first mentioned for release in '04, then mid-'05, now it seems even later

if they're having problems converting an already similar footballing code to another, imagine what would happen if they had to start including different gameplay, players equipment etc that hurling offers

they're both minority sports (globally - unfortunately so) so will receive next to no attention in the games world - if this current game even gets released I'll be surprised

orginally there was an irish programmer (from the midlands i think) who developed a simple prototype for a GAA console game. He approached the GAA about getting their licence but the GAA rejected it and then hired an Aussie team to do it. Yer man was fairly ****** off about this and i think he was talking to the GPA about getting their backing. Haven't heard anything since..

just got an email reply from Mike Fegan at IRGurus in Australia,

here it is...

"Hi Ciaran,

Sony Ireland will making an announcement on this game ***le shortly and
we
are still on track for a Mid-2005 release.

Thanks for your valued interest in Gaelic Football.

Regards,
Mike"

- so there you have it, still on track for a summer (hopefull june when the Cahmpionship starts swinging into full flow) release and we should expect a GAA announcement shortly...

... just glad to hear that it hasn't died in development!

I saw Gaelic Football once on ESPN, ìt seems like a really cool game, i`m a huge rugby union fan but if they released a game like this I would probably buy it....

If and when it does arrive Pedro... I'm not 100% sure of its availability outside of Ireland...

I'm sure you'd be able to pick it up somewhere or order it off the www, but its not a widely received global sport and so will understandably get a national release as opposed to international release... there'll be a big deal made about it here at home, with all the cardboard games stands with posters etc, advertisements & other media coverage, but I can't see it registering on the radar elsewhere

... maybe I'm wrong, and I'd like it if I was, we'll have to wait and see... I'll post up whatever other news I hear about it here anyways

Ive seen gaelic football on tv, im somewhat intrigued by it even though i am not irish, plz tell me in future if its worth getting...

If they could produce a decent rendidion, I'd proberbly get it.

For one, I'd like to actually understand the rules and scoring system (watching it on TV is a bit confusing - I guess thats why roundyball fans don't care much for Rugby).

Here's a thought though - Would hurling be an Idea to be added being as both games are played on identical pitches and work pretty much the same way?

Originally posted by Teh Mite@Feb 27 2005, 09:05 AM
If they could produce a decent rendidion, I'd proberbly get it.

For one, I'd like to actually understand the rules and scoring system (watching it on TV is a bit confusing - I guess thats why roundyball fans don't care much for Rugby).

Here's a thought though - Would hurling be an Idea to be added being as both games are played on identical pitches and work pretty much the same way?
It's still to be seen if this rendition is decent, there's been next to no info released about it and the history of the AFL series is not great (AFL is the game that is being used as a template/skeleton for Gaelic Football 2005 - I'm not sure I'd say it was decent - prob below par more then anything)... so its near impossible to predict if this will be good/decent/crap
<

The game is meant to be due mid-2005 (I was told April), but yet only 3 tiny screens of the game have ever been shown (I've also been told that they began using new development tools, so maybe these screens, which were taken off the developing companies website a while back, are now out of date and the game has had a facelift?)

Hurling will not be included (see a previous post)... this thought was bandied about alot since the game was announced (in 2003), but there would be quite a few differences in the 2 games (player animations, ball differences, rule differences, use of the hurl, different competition composition)

As far as the rules go ... what do you want to know? (or what do you know already?)

How the scoring works (I know there are 2 'Scores', The goal and the conversion-type), Penaltys etc.

types of scoring: Goals and Points

A goal is when the ball goes under the crossbar and a point is when the ball is sent over the bar

points have a value of 1
goals have a value of 3

penalties exist similar to soccer (in hurling 2 outfield players and the keeper can stand on the goal-line to prevent a goal). The player can score a goal or point from this - it doesn't have to be a goal attempt.

"45's" are similar to corners I suppose, if the ball goes out over the endline having touched a defending player, then the ball is placed on the 45 metre line (45m from goal and in the same position that it went out) you can then attempt to score or pass from the 45 (in hurling the 45 becomes a 65 and it is taken from the 65m line)

you cannot hand(fist)-pass a goal, but you can fist a goal (i.e knock someone's pass or a flighted ball into goal with your fist - you are not allowed to previously be in control of the ball yourself)
you can however hand(fist)-pass a point and fist a point

there ye go... a quick run down of scoring !

xboxworld.com.au has an interesting thread about the new AFL game. Looks much better than the past editions and sounds as though they've improved gameplay quite a bit. It also was to be released in April, but since Sony took over (Acclaim went bankrupt) it's been pushed back 'till later in the year. I'm sure Gaelic will include all the upgrades as well. Hopefully they'll both kick ass, as I'm a huge fan of both codes. Cheers!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Gaelic Football 2005 (WT)

For the first time ever exclusively on the PlayStation®2, take to the field in this fully licensed GAA Gaelic Football challenge. Experience the skill and excitement of one of the world’s oldest games as you battle for victory with your favourite County teams.

Kick it over the crossbar for Kerry, or score a goal in the net for Dublin. Whoever you support they’re all here. Hours of action packed gaming as you fight your way through to the finals!

Game Features:

All 32 County Teams (plus London & New York) in the Latest Strips
Realistic On-Field Play
Full Match & Player Statistics
Stunning Croke Park & Various County Grounds
Live Commentary From Ireland’s Leading Gaelic Football Media Personalities
League, Provincial & All Ireland Championships
Real Time Lighting & Shadows on Players
Gaelic & English Languages
Decals (Mud, Bandages) Appearing On Players Throughout The Match
Superb 3D Graphics & Motion Capture Animations
Coming soon exclusively to the PlayStation®2

PlayStation®2 is a registered trademark of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. All Rights Reserved. The GAA logo and competing team logos, emblems and names on this product are all trademarks of and used under license from the owners the Gaelic Athletic Association by whom all © and other rights of production are reserved.[/b]

from irgurus.com

Just noticed this today...

Originally posted by cavan@Mar 25 2005, 03:07 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
Gaelic Football 2005 (WT)

For the first time ever exclusively on the PlayStation®2, take to the field in this fully licensed GAA Gaelic Football challenge. Experience the skill and excitement of one of the world’s oldest games as you battle for victory with your favourite County teams.

Kick it over the crossbar for Kerry, or score a goal in the net for Dublin. Whoever you support they’re all here. Hours of action packed gaming as you fight your way through to the finals!

Game Features:

All 32 County Teams (plus London & New York) in the Latest Strips
Realistic On-Field Play
Full Match & Player Statistics
Stunning Croke Park & Various County Grounds
Live Commentary From Ireland’s Leading Gaelic Football Media Personalities
League, Provincial & All Ireland Championships
Real Time Lighting & Shadows on Players
Gaelic & English Languages
Decals (Mud, Bandages) Appearing On Players Throughout The Match
Superb 3D Graphics & Motion Capture Animations
Coming soon exclusively to the PlayStation®2

PlayStation®2 is a registered trademark of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. All Rights Reserved. The GAA logo and competing team logos, emblems and names on this product are all trademarks of and used under license from the owners the Gaelic Athletic Association by whom all © and other rights of production are reserved.

from irgurus.com

Just noticed this today... [/b][/quote]
and what about the release data?

The next installation of AFL is coming mid-05 maybe they'll release'em together. Also a nice inclusion in both games would be the International Rules matches between Oz and Ireland.

Hi Ciaran,

Sony will be making an annoucement shortly.

Thanks,
Mike[/b]
Ciaran,

Thank you for your enquiry in relation to Sony's upcoming "Gaelic Games
Football" on PS2 due for release later this season. Please watch for a major
press announcement from Sony Computer Entertainment Ireland on this exciting
new interactive entertainment product.

Regards,
Mike[/b]

Got this correspondance this morning. I'd say something is on the way shortly.

cavan ...

Got the same sort of responses from the GAA and IRGuru's myself in early Jan/Feb ... so I was expecting something by the time the National League started up, but no word since...

Only 5 or so weeks before the first championship match of the year, so if there is no info before/coinciding with that, then I'll have given up hope and caring!

Would have thought we'd have heard some related news coming up to the game here in Ireland before any actual release date info, with expected further wranglings between the GPA & GAA over the whole players names/rights issue - no word as yet on that being resolved (or discussed for that matter!), so it could yet be a while before a release is possible.

... I'd perhaps expect an ealry to mid july release to coincide with the provincial semi's / finals when the ball will have been rolling for a few weeks, its still wait and see tho!

(and Fermanagh had better have their ratings from last year in it!!! ... don't want any of this shite team statistics that would have been relavant from the dawn of time, we're decent now and will be for the next 3-4 years!
<
)

Latest posts