Getofmeland

The Dorset Drinker
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Bath
_58100191_gary_neville_celebrating_beckham_getty_2484224.jpg

Former Manchester United star Gary Neville will use the spirit of Euro 96 to remind England's rugby players of the pride of playing for their country.
The ex-England footballer will address new coach Stuart Lancaster's squad on Thursday in an attempt to change the culture
following their World Cup exit.
"I am trying to remind the players about the pride and honour of being an international rugby player," he said.
Wounded soldier Simon Brown will also talk to the England rugby players.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/16731820.stm

W
ell this is really going to help England out, having Gary Neville speak to the England Rugby Side... Also goes on to mention various players from Rugby League, makes me laugh about Neville tho as he has never won anything as an England Player and to be fair we don't really want to aspire to what the England football team are like...​

Ridiculous to get Neville in, or any footballer for that matter, to talk to a load of rugby players - they'll just be looking at him thinking "What. A. Joke."

Apparently Jamie Peacock is a really good speaker, though.

Crap stupid idea, it's not as though Gary Neville is some great orator either, or a British sporting legend in the category of Coe, Redgrave, Holmes or Charlton and I heard he's a terrible pundit on TV

There are plenty of other people who could inspire the England Rugby Team, someone like Redgrave, Pinsent or to that matter anyone else... People who have something worthwhile and have achieved for England... Even consider some of the Cricketers, who have achieved over the last couple of years...

rugby-soccer1.jpg

Bottom left. I rest my case.

Click to enlarge!

Last edited:
Former Manchester United star Gary Neville will use the spirit of Euro 96 to remind England's rugby players of the pride of playing for their country.

Erm if the guy who won a rugby world cup 2003 could not motivate them. What the hell is Gary Neville going to do. "Hi yeah we lost in the semi-finals". The players will see it for what it is a joke.

I would sooner break the bank at the RFU and attempt to persuade Tanni Grey-Thompson. The slight issue of being welsh might screw that up, but at least they would be spoken to by a person who really knows what it means to battle and win.

It's a shame Johnno was the last coach as he would be the ideal guy to bring in for this!

Meh, Neville isn't the worst choice. If ever there was a man who took pride from playing for England it'd be Gary. He's achieved a good deal of sucess (admittedly not internationally) and was captain of Manchester United for 3 seasons or so. You could do a lot worse.

Meh, Neville isn't the worst choice. If ever there was a man who took pride from playing for England it'd be Gary. He's achieved a good deal of sucess (admittedly not internationally) and was captain of Manchester United for 3 seasons or so. You could do a lot worse.

We then hear-by offer you Gary Neville to Ireland, so he can motivate your side... cos we don't want him!

Yeah but if we are going on who has won cups. We might as well get Phil "The Power" Taylor in for the comic value. At least he has a proven track record of tossing things and a knowledge of beer. Some of the things more appealing to the senior players. :D

Well Neville inspires me to change the channel, don't know if it counts though?

use the spirit of Euro 96 to remind England's rugby players of the pride of playing for their country

Surely all players should have pride when they play for their country; if they don't then they shouldn't be playing. Perhaps it would be better getting a legend of English rugby who the young lads look up to, like Jason Leonard.

...well that would imply that the England rugby team is English. [/worm can open]

It is good to see that SL is trying to get some emotion behind those performances, of late that's something we've come to miss.

Ridiculous.....i thought this was a joke until i did some research on the BBC and found out it was true. Swing low England, swing low.....

gary neville to remind players of pride and honour really a footballer talking about that all footballers care about is their wage packet each week when they play for their clubs.

dont see why heskey couldnt do as good a job as neville with his sensational goal scoring record for england and at club leval :D

Latest posts