• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England's future.

Hmm not sure how true that is at tigers
Chessum Ilione, Manx, Edwards, Hoyt have all been with Nottingham during this season
Then we have Cusick who has played for Birmingham
Then the rest between Loughborough and Leicester lions

Clubs can't win tbh
Sign an older player for cover - give youth a chance
Keep a younger player for cover - they need game time loan them out

End of the day clubs currently are preferring younger players generally Leicester are like the only one who seem to really value the older guys.

I also think people forget that players between 23-26 are not old either

I think people forget that players between 23-26 are not old either
Agreed. Extrapolating a bit, even old players have a place. Mark Wilson was an extreme case, but if a player has enough good games in them to be the best choice and provide continuity over the critical period (a World Cup, while a younger replacement develops, etc), then they shouldn't be disregarded because of their age.

Yeah a few years back, not sure if we've had any games since then where the name would be used - it's a bit of a weird one because even when the name was in use we also had some games where it was "England XV" (like against Barbarians). Not sure if they're going with a new name or just having England A/England XV

Do they have a breakdown by club, or is it just in general?

I never really got the impression that youngsters don't get a shot in the prem, to me it feels like there's lots of young players knocking around (Bevan Rodd has over 50 senior appearances at 22, JvP has 38 at 21, Bailey 40 at 21, Ojomoh 36 at 22, Chessum 36 at 22, Heyes 56 at 23 etc.)
Just general.

The really good really young ones will get a shot, but I guess not that many when you think of the number coming through the academies. Players mature at different rates and get better with game time. No A league and a much bigger gap to the Championship in playing standards and cash than in France. Loan issues as @BrokenWing says. Players going into mid season U20 internationals with only a game or 2 under their belts. Only playing 10 games a season rather than the 20+ they need. Etc.

I thought it went down to Salary?

If an academy player plays over so many senior games etc then they then come under the salary cap...whereas if they are under the limit they can pay them academy wages?
Maybe someone can clarify better, but im sure thats why so many play so few games.

I thought it went down to Salary?

If an academy player plays over so many senior games etc then they then come under the salary cap...whereas if they are under the limit they can pay them academy wages?
Maybe someone can clarify better, but im sure thats why so many play so few games.
According to last year's cap (the latest full documentation on their site):
Academy Player" means any Player who:
(a) on 1 September 2021 is between 16 and 24 years old (inclusive); and
(b) whose total Salary in any Salary Cap Year has never exceeded £50,000;
Guidance Note: A Club may choose to include a Player who meets the definition of an Academy
Player in its Senior Salary Cap but once that Player is included in the Senior Salary Cap he shall
no longer be deemed an Academy Player in the current or any future Salary Cap Year and shall be
deemed a Senior Player for the purposes of the Regulations.

Don't know if this is the place, but Felix Jones joining as coach 2024

Latest posts