• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Gavin Henson Joins...

Will be interesting to see where he plays. Blues have been struggling to fill the fly-half position ever since Nicky Robinson left, and with Laulala and Roberts in the centres, will Henson be viewed as more of a 10 than a 12?

It would be nice to see how a Henson - Roberts midfield would grow playing alongside each other week in week out, but Laulala is too good a player to leave out of the team, even if he was a little disapointing last season compared to the season before.

Overall, good signing, because they've probably picked him up cheap, and he can fill a number of different roles for them.

Maybe his life long dream of playing 10 will finally come true after finally accepting that 12 is his better position.

Last edited:
In theory Cardiff have hit the jackpot with this. One of Wales's best talents joins arguably their biggest region (ducks to avoid missiles directed from the SA postcode). However we know how the last comebacks have gone for him

Why now? Why not at the start of the season?
I know he got that wrist injury, but he could have been doing training with his new squad - I presume he didn't sign for a club sooner in case he was in the RWC squad, but he when he was ruled out through injury what was the stop him?

Potentially great signing for blues, will have to see how it pans out

I'm sorry but he will have to play right at his best to be considered ahead of Roberts and Laulala

I think this move could backfire for him and he could find himself playing all over the pitch at 10, 12 and 15

Had a feeling this was on the cards.
Scotty didn't want him and Cardiff are in dire need of a playmaking inside back.
Look forward to seeing him back on the field.

Cyril to become a Blues fan? Lets find out!

I'm sorry but he will have to play right at his best to be considered ahead of Roberts and Laulala

I think this move could backfire for him and he could find himself playing all over the pitch at 10, 12 and 15

He only has to be half decent and he'll become the Blues first choice 10. Sweeney has been ok, but he's far from the calibre of player requires as first choice, while Parks simply doesn't fit the Blues atall. Henson will know that he's got a golden opportunity here to finally be the outside-half he was adamant he was for so many years when at Neath / Ospreys. He's always had all the attributes to play fly-half, and with Hook's long term position still up in the air, and Stephen Jones' imminent retirement (imo), there's suddenly a pathway opened up in front of him, with just Priestland left really as a certain future Wales 10 (along with a couple of uncapped players in Tovey and possibly Morgan).

I believe he's a much better 12 than he is a 10, but he's not got much choice really with Roberts certain to play at 12 for region and country.

Official now
_56137966_gavin_henson766.jpg

Casey is off to Toulouse at the end of the season if you believe the rumours.

I Wish I wish I wish it had have been Scarlets instead...
I don't!

@Cymro
Don't know way Casey would want to go to Toulouse, they have enough international class players who can play centre already. Jauzion, Fritz, David, Caucau, Poitrenaud....

Perhaps waiting to see whether Casey is off or not, before trying to sign an out and out 10 at the end of the season (if funds permit)?

What I want to know is that presuming he does play 10, who would take the long kicks at goal? At the moment it is halfpenny but we all know gav has a huge boot on him aswell. I really believe that if Henson gets on top of his game then cardiff backs this season will be one of the biggest threats in Europe providing all of them play well. Good signing though without doubt. It's now all up to Henson to stay focused, play well and not get injured!!!

Could be a rather tasty backline:

09 Lloyd Williams (Blues need to take Gatland's lead and realise he's ready now!)
10 Gavin Henson (Big, big if though. Been a long time since he last played at 10)
11 Tom James / Mustoe / Czekaj (Whoever performs best)
12 Jamie Roberts
13 Casey Laulala
14 Cuthbert (Deserves a run after an impressive start to the season)
15 Halfpenny (A revelation for Wales and that should continue at the Blues)

does anybody have any news on Ben Blair?

I've heard it's very likely he will retire

Last I heard was that Cardiff were trying to exercise a release clause in his contract.
Shame about that, he was a very good and underrated player.

Latest posts