• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Gavin Henson ?

Yes Henson has been injured on & off for the past few years. The past few games he has played for the Ospreys has been poor. The last Ospreys game he only lasted a few minutes, then he went off injured just by passing the ball.

He is enjoying himself too much out of rugby, so there's not alot of chance of him being in the Welsh team again.

If he keeps fit & improves his game, then he stands a chance of getting back into the Welsh side.

which is a shame he's one of wales best players period

i think he's showed more than enough with the ospreys this year to earn him a start in the red shirt.

which is a shame he's one of wales best players period

i think he's showed more than enough with the ospreys this year to earn him a start in the red shirt. [/b]

Where though? If you have Stephen Jones playing flyhalf and Hook playing second-five, where are you going to start him? Fullback? I don't think he's that good of a fullback at all, certainly not better than Gareth Thomas, assuming Thomas hasn't retired from test rugby(has he?).

i'd drop jones soon and then put hook in at fly half and gav at 12 i dont think he'd be a bad 13 either better than sonny parker thats for sure.

i'd drop jones soon and then put hook in at fly half and gav at 12 i dont think he'd be a bad 13 either better than sonny parker thats for sure. [/b]

Right now Stephen Jones is a much better flyhalf than Henson is a second-five. I don't know where you get this notion that Henson is some miracle worker, unless you think the one kick against England makes him so. To me Parker is a much better player than Henson. Mind you I don't think that highly of Parker but he is growing on me.

<div class='quotemain'> i'd drop jones soon and then put hook in at fly half and gav at 12 i dont think he'd be a bad 13 either better than sonny parker thats for sure. [/b]

Right now Stephen Jones is a much better flyhalf than Henson is a second-five. I don't know where you get this notion that Henson is some miracle worker, unless you think the one kick against England makes him so. To me Parker is a much better player than Henson. Mind you I don't think that highly of Parker but he is growing on me.

[/b][/quote]

Stephen Jones to me seems to be getting slow and old very fast.. i think its time they start to look to hook for more starts in the 10 shirt. Henson > Parker... Henson is strong, fast, and he has good vision and a excellent boot, he's deffinately an asset to the wales team. Ive said it before and ill say it again.. look at what they did with Henson as opposed to what theyve done without him. I honestly believe he provides a huge link in that team.

Please don't say Henson and Parker were just compared and Parker won!
Sonny is a tragic player, so one dimensional it's ridiculous.
Henson had an absolute stormer for the Ospreys against Worcester and proving his worth once again. I think i saw him make one mistake throughout the whole game (and that was a knock on). The only thing i didn't see him offer was a kicking game, but wtih Hook at Fly Half and Ospreys adopting a quick running game against a very clow worcester that was the correct choice.
I would choose Gav over Hook at inside centre anyday.
Plus i agree with DC on the Stephen Jones issue: the guy is getting old...fast.

Gotta agree with RC. Henson had a good solid game against Worcester. Had one of his best deffensive displays since the England game 2005, ran strongly and had the best pair of hands on the pitch by a mile.

Solid games is exactly what he needs at the moment, he can build from there and add the flair back into his game.

Please don't say Henson and Parker were just compared and Parker won!
Sonny is a tragic player, so one dimensional it's ridiculous.
Henson had an absolute stormer for the Ospreys against Worcester and proving his worth once again. I think i saw him make one mistake throughout the whole game (and that was a knock on). The only thing i didn't see him offer was a kicking game, but wtih Hook at Fly Half and Ospreys adopting a quick running game against a very clow worcester that was the correct choice.
I would choose Gav over Hook at inside centre anyday.
Plus i agree with DC on the Stephen Jones issue: the guy is getting old...fast.
[/b]

I'm pretty sure what I meant was Shanklin, the big ballsy ******* playing in the 13 jersey? But if you truely believe that Henson is the best inside centre in the entire country of Wales, then I believe you. I'm not going to argue with someone who is much more familiar with the Welsh players. Although without Super 14 until February I am going to be watching a ton of Magners, EDF, as well as that English garbage...err competition.

2 out of the 3 are garbage

Magners is the good one, but the Guinness Premiership is good for putting you to sleep at night!

2 out of the 3 are garbage

Magners is the good one, but the Guinness Premiership is good for putting you to sleep at night! [/b]

Will you please drop this bullshit idyllic view you have of the Magners League. For starters, although not perfect, the Guinness Premiership is nothing like you make it out to be. Secondly, I'm sure all Welsh, Scottish and Irish supporters will readily admit that there are some truly terrible matches which take place in the Magners League.

Yes, some of the sides like to throw it around a bit, but so do teams like Gloucester, Saracens and (up until we were relegated) Northampton. I've sat and watched mistaken-ridden snooze-fests between the Celtic comestic teams, just as I have between their English counterparts.

Grow up and stop taking an anti-GP stance just because you think it makes you look cool. I don't care if you are four twenty-sevenths Irish, I'm sure I watch just as much Magners League as you, and can instantly point out that it isn't this flowing rugby heaven you make it out to be. It has some excellent sides and some great flowing rugby, but so does every league.

Come back and argue about it when you are mature enough to give an objective and balanced view.

Honestly, I prefer the Magners League over the GP. Its for more favored to open running and spreadin it wide. Running the ball really appeals to me. I'm not mucking around when I say that last years Harlequins V Falcons match made me fall asleep. The GP for me produces some quality forard play, and keep the ball tight in the contact. With the rare brilliant flashes that the back produce. RARE.

<div class='quotemain'> 2 out of the 3 are garbage

Magners is the good one, but the Guinness Premiership is good for putting you to sleep at night! [/b]

Will you please drop this bullshit idyllic view you have of the Magners League. For starters, although not perfect, the Guinness Premiership is nothing like you make it out to be. Secondly, I'm sure all Welsh, Scottish and Irish supporters will readily admit that there are some truly terrible matches which take place in the Magners League.

Yes, some of the sides like to throw it around a bit, but so do teams like Gloucester, Saracens and (up until we were relegated) Northampton. I've sat and watched mistaken-ridden snooze-fests between the Celtic comestic teams, just as I have between their English counterparts.

Grow up and stop taking an anti-GP stance just because you think it makes you look cool. I don't care if you are four twenty-sevenths Irish, I'm sure I watch just as much Magners League as you, and can instantly point out that it isn't this flowing rugby heaven you make it out to be. It has some excellent sides and some great flowing rugby, but so does every league.

Come back and argue about it when you are mature enough to give an objective and balanced view.

[/b][/quote]

Foreward play = boring to me at least.. and thats what they do in the GP, its their bread and butter. And are there not absolutely terrible matches that occur in the super 14?

It happens. But on the contrary there are far less horrible matches in the Magners League.

A large majority of the teams in the Magners League like to throw it around, ive often heard of it as being the NH Super 14.. with less talent. And i would have to agree with that. Teams like Leinster, Munster, Ulster, Llanelli, Ospreys, Cardiff all enjoy throwing the rock around in the backs and thats what makes it exciting to watch. Hell a few of those squads can be considered to have the best backline in Europe. Sure there are some snooze fests but that happens, it just happens more regularly in the GP. I'm sorry if you dont like it but it takes the most hardcore fan to watch a match where the two teams run around the fringes for 1-2m the whole match.. that's boring.

So because i am not "grown up" i am anti GP? Must be a lot of other people who should grow up to then, i forgot that a tell tale sign of maturity was liking the GP.. news to me.

It doesnt have anything to do with my heritage either, it all comes down to what i find more entertaining. You are a diehard Saints fan and love watching them play, thats your M.O. im not a diehard england club scene fan and i dont find the constant fringe play exciting.

And remember guys all the COOL kids are Anti-GP nowadays!

The fact you just highlighted Munster and Ulster as teams that like to throw the ball around in the backs shows how pointless this argument is.

If you think Munster do anything other than bulldoze teams into submission then you are clearly watching their matches in a parallel universe to mine. Adding Doug Howlett isn't going to suddenly turn them into masters of flair. They have a very strong pack, but even die-hard Munster fans will admit that they aren't the most creative in the wide open spaces.

My team aren't even in the Premiership but I will still be following it both live and on television. You don't need to be a hardcore England supporter to recognise the talent on display in both the forwards and backs.

The fact you just highlighted Munster and Ulster as teams that like to throw the ball around in the backs shows how pointless this argument is.

If you think Munster do anything other than bulldoze teams into submission then you are clearly watching their matches in a parallel universe to mine. Adding Doug Howlett isn't going to suddenly turn them into masters of flair. They have a very strong pack, but even die-hard Munster fans will admit that they aren't the most creative in the wide open spaces.

My team aren't even in the Premiership but I will still be following it both live and on television. You don't need to be a hardcore England supporter to recognise the talent on display in both the forwards and backs. [/b]

Munster and Ulster threw the ball around plenty last year..

Sure Munster bulldoze teams but they do have a decent backline spearheaded by Ronan O'gara at the 10, although he doesnt have much outside of him..

Im not saying that you have to be a hardcore England fan but in honesty if you dont support a GP team its not that entertaining.

IMO Henson still has a lot to offer the Welsh, I'd have him over Jones and move Hook to 10.

IMO Henson still has a lot to offer the Welsh, I'd have him over Jones and move Hook to 10. [/b]

In time, and with fingers firmly crossed, i believe that will be Wales' 10 & 12.
And also Ospreys scrum half (phillips) thrown into 1st choice scrummie for wales

<div class='quotemain'> The fact you just highlighted Munster and Ulster as teams that like to throw the ball around in the backs shows how pointless this argument is.

My team aren't even in the Premiership but I will still be following it both live and on television. You don't need to be a hardcore England supporter to recognise the talent on display in both the forwards and backs. [/b]

Munster and Ulster threw the ball around plenty last year..

Sure Munster bulldoze teams but they do have a decent backline spearheaded by Ronan O'gara at the 10, although he doesnt have much outside of him..

Im not saying that you have to be a hardcore England fan but in honesty if you dont support a GP team its not that entertaining.
[/b][/quote]

Bigging up Ronan "H'oim de best floy-alf in de Worrled!" O'Gara now? Oh dear, that's desperation. I'll pretend I didn't see it.

Whilst you're partally correct that the ML does have some great backs (in the Welsh sides at least, Munster don't have any good backs whilst Leinster never play Contipomi, BOD or D'Arcy in the ML only to choke in the groups of the HEC every year like an All Black with 3 minutes to go insisting on "keeping it pretty"), you've shown the same arrogance towards the GP in favour of the ML as a typical American Plastic Paddy has this romantic view of the IRA and hate towards England, only knowing/caring-for half the story.

Whilst the (Welsh) ML sides do like to chuck the ball around, as the self-proclaimed worlds greatest scrum half you should be fully aware that for the ball to go through the backs, the pack first needs to secure the pig skin. Look at any ML side and generally the ball is spun wide, the winger is caught, ball gets turned over, the ball is spun wide, the winger is caught, the ball gets turned over, wash-rinse-repeat - it's like watching junior rugby league without the atmosphere (which is admitted across the board that nobod is interested in attending these games unless it's a local derby).

On the other hand, and what you pooh-pooh the GP sides for, is the GP sides using their pack much moreto keep the ball at the first contact and recycle.Therefore we have; Ball is spun wide, winger gets caught, Pack retains ball, lock/prop gains 3m on drive through, ball is recycled and presented to scrum half, pall put through the hands, try-time.

If you wanted to compare the general styles of rugby in the ML and GP to those of international sides, the ML would be like pre-tournament Australia; Fast, pretty, over-rated and never win anything, always amongst the favorates though. The GP on the other hand would be like the Boks; Dominant packs with backs that can both run 100m when the opportinity presents itself or kick the ball when needed. Which in turn would make the Top 14 like the AB's; Will rip any other team apart when they can be bothered to turn up, but that's a different arguement for a different day.

When you look at the previous HEC winners, the GP (or ABP/ZP as it was in previous guises) can boast 6 previous wins, Top 14/16 with 4 and the CL/ML with a mere 2. As with everying else, people only remember what the previous results are, not how they were won (eg, everyone forgets the wonderful rugby of the 2003 All Blacks). So on that note, it's better to win ugly if need be then to lose being pretty. The AB's will be the first to admit that.

While the ML has somegreat rugby occasionally, the simple fact boils down that the teams aren't as good as the GP sides.

Anyway, back to Henson, I refuse to admit in public that he had a bloody good game against Worcester. :ph34r:

:unsure:

Ah ********...