• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

GB vs NZ test series

S

St Helens RLFC

Well, GB are one up in the 3 games series after a 20-14 win over the Kiwis at Huddersfield. I thought that score was a bit harsh on GB who pretty much dominated the game from start to finish and were pretty decent all the way throughout. I expect a better show from the Kiwis next week but I think they are very much a team in transition and I expect GB to win the series.

Great debuts by the way for Maurie Fa'asavalu, who the Kiwis went looking for, and Sam Burgess, both playing their first games for GB. I hope the game next week is as enjoyable as this one was.

Well, GB are one up in the 3 games series after a 20-14 win over the Kiwis at Huddersfield. I thought that score was a bit harsh on GB who pretty much dominated the game from start to finish and were pretty decent all the way throughout. I expect a better show from the Kiwis next week but I think they are very much a team in transition and I expect GB to win the series.

Great debuts by the way for Maurie Fa'asavalu, who the Kiwis went looking for, and Sam Burgess, both playing their first games for GB. I hope the game next week is as enjoyable as this one was.
[/b]

Yeah, thought it was a pretty boring match to watch from our perspective. Although good to see our youngsters such as Perrett, Eastwood, Rapira having a crack, we are sorely missing the likes of Kidwell, Sonny Bill etc...
Leuluai played well and looks a solid replacement for Jones, but overall we severely lack fitness. GB exploited that big time.

And wtf is up with Sam Burgess??? Holy **** this guy's a beast, yet he's only 18? My god, he even layed out big Fuifui twice before he got flattened himself. Very impressive this guy.

the chances of the kiwis wining were very slim since so many first choice guys with experince are out. the boys did play pretty well and if they had of had the full 17 for the whole game may have just snuck a win. but it was not to be and GB did play very well. kiwis need to improve the defense around the ruck because that was one area where GB carved up all game. looking forward to the next 2 games in the series and more improvement from the kiwis

the chances of the kiwis wining were very slim since so many first choice guys with experince are out. the boys did play pretty well and if they had of had the full 17 for the whole game may have just snuck a win. but it was not to be and GB did play very well. kiwis need to improve the defense around the ruck because that was one area where GB carved up all game. looking forward to the next 2 games in the series and more improvement from the kiwis
[/b]

Exactly, we were horrible around the rucks. Notice how often we were slowing the play the ball down? Just sheer unfitness really. Looking forward to the next games.

Good game last night. The way that GB missed all those opportunities, I thought NZ would beat them.

Maurie Fa'asavalu had a great debut, but I don't agree with residency to play for another country. Place of birth should mean play for your International side that your where born.

Maurie Fa'asavalu had a great debut, but I don't agree with residency to play for another country. Place of birth should mean play for your International side that your where born. [/b]

So if you were born in Wales but moved to England a year after and lived there ever since why should you play for Wales? Residency is a good thing and keeps things fresh IMO. GB looked good though, NZ lacking - was it just me but there didn't even seem that much emotion in the Haka?

Second test gets under way tomorrow morning (NZ time). For NZ Lauaki and Tupou are both out with injuries and David Faiumu (thank god) and Taniela Tuiaki come in.

Hopefully we perform better than last week, although the all too familiar "search and destroy" approach seems to be the adoptive method after the result of Burgess getting off with a high shot on Moimoi has got the players rared up, even if Kemble is denying it. I really hope this isn't the case or the Brits will run us off the park later in the game.

I hope the Kiwis do go looking for Burgess. He'll smash their heads in.

yep no excuses, but the coach needs to go, he hasnt done anything, he seems to be looking for excuses blaming the ref etc

Yeah, was absolute shithouse. Stopped watching after their 2nd try 'cos I knew it was coming. We straight up ran out of puff within 30 minutes which is pathetic. To be fair though, we're missing half of our top players, not to mention Kemble is a f***ing tosspot.

None contest.

GB played as well as they have for some time but the opposition were truly awful. I know they are in a period of transition but so are we...

I turned this game off at half-time. Whilst I was happy to see the British playing good footy, I was quite disheartened to see NZ play such shithouse footy.

NZ really are turning in to an embarrassment. They need Wayne Bennett as coach.

I suppose they are missing almost half their expected team (I think), but thats still no excuse to be beaten 58-0 and 44-0.

just don't have the players there and the coach seems to be lacking. I think most teams would struggle with 10+ plus guys out but it hurts the kiwis more with the limited depth in certain positions we have like the halves.

my heart is on the ground. I support the kiwis win or lose, but to play that badly...I don't know what to say.

I only just got around to watching this match tonight and i'm shocked by one thing and one thing alone: -
The kiwis attitude.

I mean, GB were awesome throughout. We dominated in all areas on the field and regardless of where we got the ball i always felt like we were threatening them. The Kiwis could have had their first tackle in our half and you got the impression nobody felt too worried because the defence was so immense and defusing any attack thrown at them.

But the Kiwis started off with some terrible tackling (Peacock should never have gotten over the line in the first few minutes of the game) and as soon as they started growing tired i got the feeling that they didn't want to be in the match.
One of the British commentators said, 'Take nothing away from the Kiwis, they've put in a lot of effort.' I'm paraphrasing, but i just couldn't agree with him.
In Wales, when you see a team perform like that you say that the team has no "hwyl" which means it just has no spirit and i think that was a key thing.

I'm very proud of the British boys though. I refuse to take anything away from them by saying it was a 2nd string NZ squad becuase they put their all into the game, they worked their arses off in defence and attack and when it came to getting the tries they had a precision that makes for not only attractive rugby, but effective rugby.

NZ lacked direction...

Bulldogs 5/8 Roberts ( I may be their fan) but he cannot direct the team around whatsoever...

NZ missed the presence of SBW and Benji IMO, those two players create miracles and SBW in particular gives oozes inspiration and confidence..

Game would've been different if those two were in it, although i think NZ would've self destructed regardless, they loss too much experience when Vagana, Stacy Jones and Ruben Wiki retired

Latest posts