• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

General Currie Cup Thread

Seaton

First XV
Club or Nation
Sharks
Okay, a thread for anything and everything about the Currie Cup that falls outside the spectrum of match threads and transfer news.

So, what's new?

Well, possibly the biggest news that has arrived in the last week, is that while it is still an option, the plan to reduce the number of CC teams to six, is longer the favoured option.
It falls away in favour of the standard 8 teams, but only one round (each team plays each other once) instead of two, ala S14 and prior style. However, SARU has drawn inspiration from the S15, and we might be seeing a similar six team play-off system in the CC. So basically you'll either face relegation, or be in for final contention.

Leave it as it is!!! Really, the format is fine as it is. The problem arises with the S15 format if there is one at all as most of the posters here say. However the broadcast rights are sold for the S15 for the next 2-3 years, and thus it won't change. IMO, SARU should either:
Suck it up for the next few years with the major unions fielding youngsters and second stringers for the first feW weeks of the Currie Cup conincide with the last few of the S15.

Or

Forget about the senior Boks playing in the final every year, and let the comp end in late November. The young players who deputised for the Boks deserve to play in the final they drove the team to.

With that wee rant out the way, 23 Bok players have been released to play CC rugby, most are fromthe away leg, I'll try find an article.

http://www.supersport.com/rugby/springboks/news/110801/Boks_released_for_Currie_Cup_action

Bjorn Basson (Vodacom Blue Bulls)
BJ Botha (Munster, Ireland)
Heinrich Brüssow (Toyota Free State Cheetahs)
Adrian Jacobs (The Sharks)
Elton Jantjies (MTN Lions)
Zane Kirchner (Vodacom Blue Bulls)
Patrick Lambie (The Sharks)
Francois Louw (Bath, England)
Charl McLeod (The Sharks)
Lwazi Mvovo (The Sharks)
Odwa Ndungane (The Sharks)
Wynand Olivier (Vodacom Blue Bulls)
Dean Greyling (Vodacom Blue Bulls)
Alistair Hargreaves (The Sharks)
Ryan Kankowski (The Sharks)
Werner Kruger (Vodacom Blue Bulls)
Ashley Johnson (Toyota Free State Cheetahs)
Johann Muller (Ulster, Northern Ireland)
Coenie Oosthuizen (Toyota Free State Cheetahs)
Chiliboy Ralepelle (Vodacom Blue Bulls)
Deon Stegmann (Vodacom Blue Bulls)
Adriaan Strauss (Toyota Free State Cheetahs)
Flip van der Merwe (Vodacom Blue Bulls)

Most noticeable absence is Morne...

As far as the CC setup goes, I think it is working fine the way it currently is run. Agree about the younger players keeping their spots, they work hard all season and should play in the final if they reach it. As far as the Sharks go, I wouldn't have any of the Springboks in the 22, no need to have them play three consecutive weeks.

Jano Vermaak's contract with the Lions has been terminated, and he will play for the Bulls for the rest of the CC.

I must Vermaak has gone several levels in my eyes, if he did give his word not to negotiate contracts until the end of the season, but did so, well it just seems unprofessional as well as twattish.

Lol, love how he is leaving for the 'better team' at the bottom of the logn from the team comfortably at the top

Jano Vermaak's contract with the Lions has been terminated, and he will play for the Bulls for the rest of the CC.

I must Vermaak has gone several levels in my eyes, if he did give his word not to negotiate contracts until the end of the season, but did so, well it just seems unprofessional as well as twattish.

Lol, love how he is leaving for the 'better team' at the bottom of the logn from the team comfortably at the top

LOL, yeah just saw that as well. Bulls aren't going to be the same team without; Botha, Steenkamp, Botha, Matfield and Du Preez. That said, they have made some smart moves oer the last few months and 9 is where they needed the class that Vermaak brings. Its just kinda 'wrong' to move over halfway through IMO LOL. Bulls are going to look decent next season (* new signings);

1 Dean Greyling
2 Chiliboy Ralepele
3 Werner Kruger
4 Flip van der Merwe
5 Wilhelm Steenkamp*
6 Deon Stegmann (I'd have Derrick Kuun TBH)
7 Dewald Potgieter
8 Pierre Spies
9 Jano Vermaak*
10 Morne Steyn
11 Francois Hougaard
12 Wynand Olivier
13 Johan Sadie*
14 Bjorn Basson
15 Gerhard van der Heever

Does the Lions accepting the move of Vermaak mid-season make it look like there is some truth to the financial (or lack thereof) rumors Gumede started? To me it kinda hints that there might be.

Also, it's great that we are going to see the top 8 and not 6 teams. IMO the bottom two bring a lot to the table, especially if EP and Boland could make the move up.

My impression is that Vermaak told the Lions he woiuldn't negotiate with anyone until November, then went and signed a contract with the Bulls, and Mjohn Mitchell doesn't seem like the type to take kak from anyone, and thus gave him the hoof

Big news

The format for next years Currie Cup will be the 6 team format mentioned earlier. However, the final points such as the leagues composition has not been decided, and this and several other finer points will be decided in November.

If SARU had the guts, they would decide the composition of the league by means of relegating either the bottom two or three teams, depending on what they are going to do about the Kings. However, I doubt they will do this considering the Bulls current and, if it carriers on at this rate, final log positions. Seriously, of the 'Big 5', the Bulls are performing the worst by far, and the Griquas are doing very well and don't look like relenting, whilst the Pumas and Leopards will be fighting for their top flight survival now, and thus there is a hell of a lot riding on todays game in Nelspruit, a potential relegation scrap if you will, and vital to the Bulls if they are going to challenge for a semi spot.

Mon the Pumas B)

It looked so wrong seeing Vermaak in a blue jersey, and didn't have the greatest of starts.

Bulls just, just won, 16-12, scoring a drop goal in the last few minutes to make the win look more comfortable than it actually was. Just a few basic errors stopped the Pumas from getting ahead, but they made a more than decent fist of it.

Now for the big game!

Latest posts