George Smith set to quit international rugby

Discussion in 'General Rugby Union' started by snoopy snoopy dog dog, Feb 5, 2010.

1. <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. Nickdnz

Nickdnz Guest

Wow, kind of a shock to be honest. It would have been better in my opinion if he stuck it out for at least till 2011. That being said, I'm going to bet Phil Waugh is the happiest person in the world right now.

4. Juggernaut

Juggernaut Guest

Waugh will be jumping up and down...till the early hours.

5. candybum

candybum Guest

That's another one ay Robbie Deano...

Hard to believe Smith's only 29, he's played bloody forever! i reckon he should've stuck till 2011. He is awesome though

6. Olyy

Olyy Guest

Yeah, i would've thought staying until the WC and going out in a (potential) blaze of glory would've made more sense, but fair play to the guy, he's doing it for all the right reasons

7. Gavin

Gavin Guest

Personally I think he is retiring for David Pocock. David is the younger player, and has the potential to become one of the best flankers in the world. IMO Smith would have beaten Gregan's record for international caps, but I think he is trying to help his young foe. Interesting though that he wants to be released from club rugby aswell.

8. Any speculation on why Smith is quitting Australian rugby? Is he burnt out after more than a decade at the top or is there a big money offer on the table from a European club?

9. Very sad to see. Smith has been one of my favorite players for a long time, and he's certainly one of the best 7s of all time. I'd say that the rise of Pocock is definitely a consideration. Based on Nov. and Tri Nations, Pocock is the no.1 openside for Oz. and yeah I don't know if he has an offer yet, though I'm sure it won't be long, but he said he does want to play rugby overseas. He said he wanted to spend more time with his family in a different culture, so we'll see. I'm thinking Toulon. The Real Madrid of rugby. He also said the drive to play international isn't what it used to be. But he'll be missed.

10. MunsterMan

MunsterMan Guest

Would love it if he came to Munster ;)

Class player, a blow for Australia though. What happens of David Pocock get's injured before 2011?

11. Gavin

Gavin Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Feb 6 2010, 05:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    Could put the end to Quinlan's career if he did. In saying that I would like he could have another few more years playing top-class rugby.

Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!