• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

George Smith set to quit international rugby

• Thread starter snoopy snoopy dog dog
  • Start date
S

snoopy snoopy dog dog

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
http://www.canberratimes.com.au/news/local...re/1743604.aspx

ACT Brumbies and Wallabies legend George Smith has announced his retirement from international rugby.Smith, 29, confirmed he had played his final Test for Australia and that he had sought an early release from his ARU contract.

He will play the 2010 Super 14 season with the Brumbies before retiring from Australian rugby.

He was contracted to the ARU and Brumbies until after the 2011 Rugby World Cup but has been granted a release from the final year of that deal.

Smith admitted the decision was one of the most challenging of his career.

"It is largely a decision about the most important people in my life: my family,'' he said.

"As many of you would be aware I have a young family with three children under five and I feel that my wife Louise and my family have made a great many sacrifices to allow me to pursue my rugby career over the years.

"I believe that now is the time for me to give back to my family, to be able to spend more quality time with my wife and young children. It has become increasingly difficult for me to spend large periods of time away from home and my family and this is something that I would like to change.''

Wallabies coach Robbie Deans tried to talk Smith out of retiring before next year's World Cup but was unsuccessful.

It is understood the openside flanker will head overseas at the end of this Super 14 season.

"You only have to look at the statistics of his career to realise what a special player George is, and to appreciate the enormity of his contribution to Australian Rugby,'' Deans said.

"Not only has he been a great team man, he has been a fine leader of young men as a role model - both as a player and as a captain. Consistency, both in terms of his availability and the level of his performance, has been his hallmark.''

Smith leaves the game with 110 Test caps for the Wallabies, one of only four players to play more than 100 Tests for Australian alongside George Gregan, Stephen Larkham and David Campese.

He has played 120 Super rugby matches for the Brumbies heading into his last season, second behind only Gregan who retired with 136 caps.[/b]

Wow, kind of a shock to be honest. It would have been better in my opinion if he stuck it out for at least till 2011. That being said, I'm going to bet Phil Waugh is the happiest person in the world right now.

That's another one ay Robbie Deano...

Hard to believe Smith's only 29, he's played bloody forever! i reckon he should've stuck till 2011. He is awesome though

Yeah, i would've thought staying until the WC and going out in a (potential) blaze of glory would've made more sense, but fair play to the guy, he's doing it for all the right reasons

Personally I think he is retiring for David Pocock. David is the younger player, and has the potential to become one of the best flankers in the world. IMO Smith would have beaten Gregan's record for international caps, but I think he is trying to help his young foe. Interesting though that he wants to be released from club rugby aswell.

Any speculation on why Smith is quitting Australian rugby? Is he burnt out after more than a decade at the top or is there a big money offer on the table from a European club?

Very sad to see. Smith has been one of my favorite players for a long time, and he's certainly one of the best 7s of all time. I'd say that the rise of Pocock is definitely a consideration. Based on Nov. and Tri Nations, Pocock is the no.1 openside for Oz. and yeah I don't know if he has an offer yet, though I'm sure it won't be long, but he said he does want to play rugby overseas. He said he wanted to spend more time with his family in a different culture, so we'll see. I'm thinking Toulon. The Real Madrid of rugby. He also said the drive to play international isn't what it used to be. But he'll be missed.

Would love it if he came to Munster ;)

Class player, a blow for Australia though. What happens of David Pocock get's injured before 2011?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Feb 6 2010, 05:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Would love it if he came to Munster ;)

Class player, a blow for Australia though. What happens of David Pocock get's injured before 2011?[/b]

Could put the end to Quinlan's career if he did. In saying that I would like he could have another few more years playing top-class rugby.

Latest posts