• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

German Rugby

I would consider it highly significant if players from outside the Wild stable are also striking. If they haven't resolved the dispute by now, with RWC qualification at stake then I wouldn't not be optimistic that this will be resolved any time soon.

Is there any sign of any attempt to mediate by World Rugby or Rugby Europe?

Headstrong millionaires and incompetent closed shop unions are the bane of this sport internationally.

Is there any sign of any attempt to mediate by World Rugby or Rugby Europe?

IIRC, Rugby Europe were earlier criticizing DRV for their dependency on one sponsor. I doubt they'd be willing to give Wild the acknowledgement.

I'm sure DRV have a lot to learn from Rugby Europe etc. re how to appeal to other sponsors, but I don't expect Rugby Europe to be too phased by the RWC qualification schedule - they're playing the long game.

Pity to leave the field in such manner, big loss for Germany as well.

Just noticed yesterday that the Wild academy played Munster's development (academy guys our hooker aside) side over the weekend.
Munster won 66-19 in the end. One of our more promising guys Wycherly got a leg fracture during the game which is annoying. Not sure what kind of team Wild put out in terms of age, experience etc.

It will be good for German Rugby if the National Union and Heidelberger RK resolves their issues. This has completely set German Rugby back a lot and for what? A few egos no doubt. It's not healthy for the sport in the country and certainly has had a devastating effect on the National teams. Plus it will put many German Qualified players outside of Germany think twice about wanting to play for the National team with this off field shambles.

TR-Analyse: Der Traum von der WM lebt - was kommt nun?

If the World Rugby judgement stands after the appeals process, and Germany beat Portugal on June 9, then Germany will play in Samoa on June 30 for a repechage match. (and the return leg on July 14)

Samoa isn't too far away...

And after that, apparently the Repechage Tournament in November - by requirement in a neutral country - will be in France somewhere. Strasbourg perhaps? That will help them move tickets :p

If the World Rugby judgement stands after the appeals process, and Germany beat Portugal on June 9, then Germany will play in Samoa on June 30 for a repechage match. (and the return leg on July 14)

And after that, apparently the Repechage Tournament in November - by requirement in a neutral country - will be in France somewhere. Strasbourg perhaps? That will help them move tickets :p
Traum is right. Still quite a long shot I feel between appeals and tough opposition , but I would love to see it happen especially because they never got a fair shot because of the Wild dispute.

Germany disregarded the game with November failure to show up at tests with a proper team and their REC 2018 results, more than 50 pts in all matches...and also failed in March 2018 to send an U20 squad to European Championship from Portugal so the host country fielded a Portugal Centro-Norte squad.

And now they have to travel in Samoa :D

Do we know where the game would be on June 9th yet?

The game was moved back by a week and will take place in Heidelberg (Fritz-Grundbaum-Sportpark) at 3pm (that's the 16th).

Source

I don't like the venue at all, but unless the WRA players are back, we won't stand a chance anyway and the football World Cup will overshadow it, too.

The game was moved back by a week and will take place in Heidelberg (Fritz-Grundbaum-Sportpark) at 3pm (that's the 16th).

Source

I don't like the venue at all, but unless the WRA players are back, we won't stand a chance anyway and the football World Cup will overshadow it, too.

Shame I may have popped over if it was an easy location, but can't do the 16th anyway.

Apparently Wild is going to pull out all his money from German rugby after Heidelberg were barred from the challenge cup

Not only because of that, that was the last straw. The general amateurism and unwillingness to change are the main reasons. The players now have to look for new clubs.

World rugby needs Germany as a rugby powerhouse, I would like to think that Germany, Belgium and the Netherlands would have many similarities to the Springboks if they ever reach Tier 1.

World rugby needs Germany as a rugby powerhouse, I would like to think that Germany, Belgium and the Netherlands would have many similarities to the Springboks if they ever reach Tier 1.
Definitely. You can probably add Spain to that list as well. They are all teams that could do very well in growing and maintaining a certain level.

As long as the attitudes in German rugby don't change, we won't be going anywhere. Wild said in an interview that World Rugby wanted to help the DRV, but they were immune to feedback. In the same interview he also said that they wanted to spread out the WRA players over the German clubs, but that the others showed no interest whatsoever.

If you understand German and want to read the depressing interview:
http://www.faz.net/aktuell/sport/me...30-p3.html?printPagedArticle=true#pageIndex_2

I am really hoping that 2023 is the year that the young German Men's national XV can start to build something special. Qualification for WC 2027 might be asking too much, but steady progress for the next few years would be fantastic. A good showing in the upcoming REC (and perhaps a couple of victories) might encourage the likes of Namibia or Chile to arrange a World Cup warm-up game against the Black Eagles next July/August. The team needs as many Test matches as it can outside of the REC against a range of different opponents/styles in order to improve.

Black Eagles coach Mark Kuhlmann has named a 32-man squad for a training camp beginning tomorrow in Heidelberg as preparation for the 2023 Rugby Europe Championship. The city's Fritz-Grunebaum-Sportpark will also host Germany's first home game in the competition against Spain on Sunday 12th February with a 14.30 kick-off time. The venue for the following Saturday's home match against The Netherlands (kick off: 13.15) has yet to be decided.

Latest posts