• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Get a whiff of this, this week's best rugby! Guinness Pro 14 - R. 9

54-10 win for Leinster without playing that well.

Joey Carbery is being blocked by Johnny Sexton and Jordan Larmour by Rob Kearney. Both Carbery and Larmour should move for the good of Irish rugby [/Eddie O'Sullivan].

Larmour will be a hell of a player as he gains more experience. He skins defenders left, right and centre.
There is huge pressure within IRFU to move these guys though. That is a fact. The view is Rob Kearney is on a CC (although unlikely his next deal will) and for the size of percentage his wage is he has to be involved. And Carbery is also seen by Leinster as a 15. So if you take Lamour then he could argubally be seen as behind Nacewa Kearney Carbery Lowe and maybe at a stretch Henshaw. The point is while it's unlikely that all them will be fit and in contention for 15 only he has to maybe move to get decent level experience. And what will hit all provinces now is the scrapping of the B&I Cup.

There is huge pressure within IRFU to move these guys though. That is a fact. The view is Rob Kearney is on a CC (although unlikely his next deal will) and for the size of percentage his wage is he has to be involved. And Carbery is also seen by Leinster as a 15. So if you take Lamour then he could argubally be seen as behind Nacewa Kearney Carbery Lowe and maybe at a stretch Henshaw. The point is while it's unlikely that all them will be fit and in contention for 15 only he has to maybe move to get decent level experience. And what will hit all provinces now is the scrapping of the B&I Cup.
No he's not seen as 15, he's used there when needed and Cullen said as much... He debuted at 10 and has only played 15 when Kearney has been unavailable. He'll slot back as second choice 10 now with Lowe, Kearney and Larmour options at 15. Leinster's back three have been ravaged by injury and unavailability this season and EO'S hasn't really got a clue, joining any other province would just expose him to worse rugby and he's clearly honing his game fantastically well.

I think you'll see that yes he's 2nd choice 10 but they want him on the field. So will play him 15 and there is the argument. But my point was more on Lamour. But the fact is the longer Carbery isn't a starting 10 week in week out the more it will hurt his development. But only realistic option is Ulster at moment. I'm not saying I have the correct answer just that it is the issue facing the IRFU now and as was rounded last week with the cut of B&I playing numbers need to be revised. On Carbery though yes his game is progressing perfectly except for his positional and tactical thinking which is due to not playing there regularly. I'm not saying he has to move just overall Leinster will need to plan it but equally the battle is Leinster needs vs Irelands. For example Leinster playing Carbery at 15 was what they needed but slightly detrimental to Irelands needs. Not that he played bad just it a balance thing with no real clear answer

Last edited:
I think you'll see that yes he's 2nd choice 10 but they want him on the field. So will play him 15 and there is the argument. But my point was more on Lamour. But the fact is the longer Carbery isn't a starting 10 week in week out the more it will hurt his development. But only realistic option is Ulster at moment. I'm not saying I have the correct answer just that it is the issue facing the IRFU now and as was rounded last week with the cut of B&I playing numbers need to be revised.
Larmour.

Larmour, Larmour, Larmour.

There's nothing realistic about Carbery moving to Ulster at the moment. They need a 10 who'll come in after Christmas. Carbery is needed by Leinster in the league and Europe. Far more realistic is Bill Johnston of Munster. Supremely talented but 4th choice with Munster and unlikely to be needed this season.

The B&I Cup will be replaced with interpros and games against Scottish and Welsh Pro14 second string teams.

Anyway, back to this week and Larmour's involvement for O'Loughlin's last try was excellent. Probably could have drawn the last defender before passing but the run was brilliant.

Larmour.

Larmour, Larmour, Larmour.

There's nothing realistic about Carbery moving to Ulster at the moment. They need a 10 who'll come in after Christmas. Carbery is needed by Leinster in the league and Europe. Far more realistic is Bill Johnston of Munster. Supremely talented but 4th choice with Munster and unlikely to be needed this season.

The B&I Cup will be replaced with interpros and games against Scottish and Welsh Pro14 second string teams.
Not certain yet Snoop now that Welsh 2nd strings looking at English A league and funding. We play interpros anyway but it different when just a friendly. I don't disagree on Bill and not exactly surpluss. He can play 15 so may play there. Tyler's neck is 50/50 and JJ can be utilised anywhere. I'm not suggesting Joey goes Ulster but more the scenario between club vs country. Like most of games Sexton Miss are when he's away with Ireland or preseason. For 80% of those Carbery will also be absent

On Lamour I'm huge fan but I just fear he will be caught behind Rob K and Lowe etc.

Kings looking improved with at least one new loan player. Currently leading Scarlets reserves 16-10 at the half (on S4C).

I think Cloete may be Rassies greatest bit of business for us and possibly his biggest f up

Didn't see the second half of the Munster game bar Nash's try at the end. Did Stafford, Johnston and Nash get much time on the field and if so, how did they play? Don't know much about Stafford but believe there are high hopes for the other two.

The ref in the munster game should referee league. Hadn't a notion in the rucks, yellow carded the wrong man after a legal drive through and missed collapsing in mauls. Never gonna effect the outcome of the game, but he's not at the right level.

Kings, as I kind of anticipated, competed against the Scarlets but fell short; partly lack of quality, partly bottling their chance at a first win (again). Good value though, slightly better looking crowd and a second consecutive double losing bonus point haul.

I fancy them to break their duck next time against Edinburgh and think I'll go and see them on the return fixture in the New Year. Deon Davids is clearly focussing on playing style rather than on grinding out wins, which I think is admirable. He has got his Oil tanker of a project turned around again and they will only improve, on average, from here on in. They'll finish last this year but should make strides at the start of next season if they get any sort of continuity (Scarlets pinched one of their Welsh qualified forwards recently apparently).

Scarlets Dan Jones needs to get a starting berth with a Welsh side as he is handy and consistent; move over Henson.

Easy meat for Warriors in Swansea. as the romp away to a 47 -6 victory. The younger Horne partnered the Hastings boy at half back and they looked a lethal combination. Five Glasgow debutants made their appearance as Glasgow show why they are the ones to beat .

A lot of good back ups on board .

Dave Rennie handed five players their Glasgow Warriors debuts as the team continued on their unbeaten run in the Guinness PRO14 at Swansea .

Italian international Samuela Vunisa recovered from a knee injury to play club rugby a fortnight ago and will pull on a Warriors jersey for the first time packing down at the back of the scrum.

In front of him lock Kiran McDonald will play his first competitive match for Glasgow, he is joined in the row by Scott Cummings who is one of five players to have been released from Scotland camp.

Callum Gibbins will once again captain the side while Matt Smith starts on the other flank. Alex Allan, Pat MacArthur and D'Arcy Rae all pack down in the front row.

Ruaridh Jackson starts at full back. Joining him in the back three is Lelia Masaga and Leonardo Sarto who is available to play having been released by Italy.

Nick Grigg joins Sam Johnson in the midfield while George Horne and Adam Hastings continue to develop their half back partnership.

Tongan international Siua Halanukonuka is in line to make his debut off the bench having arrived from New Zealand following the conclusion of the Mitre 10 Cup.

Easy meat for Warriors in Swansea. as the romp away to a 47 -6 victory. The younger Horne partnered the Hastings boy at half back and they looked a lethal combination. Five Glasgow debutants made their appearance as Glasgow show why they are the ones to beat .

One of those scrum halves needs to make the trip along the M8, pronto. I can see both halfbacks being in the picture as squad players come the RWC if they progress as I expect and steer clear of injuries.

A truly appalling result for the Ospreys. What the hell kind of a scoreline is that against such a weekend Glasgow? A massive bonus for Glasgow to have picked up wins around the international window. They have one foot in a home QF minimum, already.

A truly appalling result for the Ospreys. What the hell kind of a scoreline is that against such a weekend Glasgow? A massive bonus for Glasgow to have picked up wins around the international window. They have one foot in a home QF minimum, already.

Bizarre scoreline and something really strange is happening in Swansea right now. That team shouldn't be losing by that much at home to a depleted Glasgow. I'm wondering whether the Ospreys are regretting giving Tandy a 5 year contract?

Bizarre scoreline and something really strange is happening in Swansea right now. That team shouldn't be losing by that much at home to a depleted Glasgow. I'm wondering whether the Ospreys are regretting giving Tandy a 5 year contract?
Check out the feedback any Ulster fan will give you on the Ospreys forwards coach Allen Clarke. It won't be good!

Latest posts