• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Getofmeland's Review of Rugby World Cup 2011

Was that forced on you? Or did you volunarily opt to do that? What harm would it really do anyway? Having a Don Carter, Sammy Bill Williams etc should hardly be a concern for the unions right?

No these players are now the unions Intellectual Property now apparently. Which I suppose is the way of the world.

I see a lot of developers releasing games with significantly better editing tools than HB have ever had. I believe it's either their play it safer-than-safe "what are your fans going to do about it anyhow" legal advice (in which case I've seen enough precedents with other games to the contrary). Or it's HB's company policy to better protect their future opportunities to gain more licenses.

In either case, it's we the fans who lose out. There are middle grounds that CAN be gone to. I'm not talking about going to the extent of the editors that Sidhe/HES have or Konami have for PES.

This plainly could've incorporated eye, skin, hair colours, the players build and playing position editing for the players. The generic faces are enough to say "we're not treading on the feet of rights holders".

Personally as it stands they may as well have called New Zealand - Zew Nealand, given them the greeny-black of Wellington and not made the names editable at all. With Australia the uniforms may as well be a metallic gold paint colour and called the team The Koala's and been done with it. Because after all, aren't the current uniforms shown "taking the ****" of license holders?

It's a pretty bitter pill to swallow to know that there's more of a fear of "taking the ****" of a license holder than there is of "taking the ****" of fans. Taking the **** aside, there are things that can be done to manage editing and things that can't and those simply aren't in this one.

If we don't talk about this now, what chance a fully licensed ANYTHING in the future? Almost ZERO. I'm not talking about fully licensed games of rugby with every comp in it. I'm meaning holes right through competitions as is the case in Sidhe's Super 15 and right here with what for New Zealanders may as well be Rugby Faux Cup 2011.

What is the point in having a team in the game at all if you have to pretend that your not seeing what your seeing? That you have to say that the bald guy there with the Phil Waugh type face and olivey skin is Richie McCaw? Or that Quade Cooper is pale with a receeding blonde hairdo and looks like Jimmy Cowan?

What's really taking the ****?

^^^
Good points Andrew.

I personally don't understand this from the perspective of either the developers or the unions... Rugby is hardly a world beating sport and needs all the exposure it can get. By limiting licensing the unions are not just doing the fans a disservice, they are being self-defeating as a successful video game incarnation of the sport will likely yield new fans. It can be thought of as more or less being an expensive commercial for the game (and heck, with some commercials costing $20 mill plus it's probably not the most expensive one you could make).

Looks great!

Hmmmm....after reading the little bit of information on here my imagination is running wild thinking of things outside the box to try out.

Having never got that into any of the previous Rugby games too deeply, I've got a lot of catching up to do to get good at this. Looking forward to the challenge and constant beatings till I get to grips with it.

Question: Who are the new commentators?.

Having never got that into any of the previous Rugby games too deeply, I've got a lot of catching up to do to get good at this. Looking forward to the challenge and constant beatings till I get to grips with it.

Question: Who are the new commentators?.

Commentators have not been announced yet... they will be shortly tho!

You will be one of my main training partners....so it won't take long before you get the hang of it if Fifa is anything to go by.

Robertson is an okay commentator in the real world, but he pretty much phoned it in for 06 & 08. Can't remember now who did 05.

How about John Inverail again?

Come on, you know how it goes... "KOE-win"! :lol:

Italy licence??? and period when we can buy this beautiful game?? 2012??? or with New Zeland 2011???

Because after all, aren't the current uniforms shown "taking the ****" of license holders?

It's a pretty bitter pill to swallow to know that there's more of a fear of "taking the ****" of a license holder than there is of "taking the ****" of fans. Taking the **** aside, there are things that can be done to manage editing and things that can't and those simply aren't in this one.

If we don't talk about this now, what chance a fully licensed ANYTHING in the future? Almost ZERO. I'm not talking about fully licensed games of rugby with every comp in it. I'm meaning holes right through competitions as is the case in Sidhe's Super 15 and right here with what for New Zealanders may as well be Rugby Faux Cup 2011.

What's really taking the ****?

The screenshot of the All Blacks, sorry New Zealand, is the biggest **** take of the lot. Maybe the little white logo doesnt say All Blacks or Adidas but how close but not exact can you get? I would've thought it they didnt want to take the **** they would have had to put some white or grey into the strip as well

Either imitate all of it or none of it

Very Strange decision by HB not to make the players close to their real life counterparts(appearance in game). This will alienate a good section of the market that are already leaning towards RC due to licensing.

RC licensing will not mean a thing if the game play is rubbish, however there is a strong chance that they will both play well leaving majority of the Kiwis and Ozzies to opt for RC.

PLEASE ANSWER:

Are there any new backline moves?
Are there new animations with the sidestep, shoulder charge and hand-off features in open play?
Are there new tackling mechanics?

Very Strange decision by HB not to make the players close to their real life counterparts(appearance in game).

Agreed.. Was thinking that since this will be the OFFICIAL game.. With only 20 teams.. I thought the IRB could allow the Game to have all the players likenesses and names... Regardless if they are called the All Blacks or Just NZ.

Agreed.. Was thinking that since this will be the OFFICIAL game.. With only 20 teams.. I thought the IRB could allow the Game to have all the players likenesses and names... Regardless if they are called the All Blacks or Just NZ.

Even having basic adjustable characteristics (hair, skin, eye colour along with height and weight) would've been something. That's not faces, the faces could still be a fair distance from infringing on anything and it'd be a compromise. It would also be useful for teams where there are last minute changes to world cup squads.

What we know is that

A ) That much IS legal. (It's not likenesses at all, just the things mentioned).
B ) HB seem to unfortunately be not prepared to do this for the the people who will shell out for this game.
C ) That's because of how much they value their licensing partners and go out of their way to protect unlicensed unions.

As a New Zealander this is something I have to mention, as I'm extremely passionate about this. Also this affects the Australian guys too and I just can't believe that something that's as limited in playing competitions and options as a World Cup game, with only those sides wouldn't have legitimate reasons to have a proper built in player editor. Heaps of people like putting themselves and their buddies into teams, not always imitating professionals.

It could be promoted as "suit up and join the world cup campaign yourself" with the editor enabling people to put themselves even to a limited degree in the starting squad for the world cup.

This game could be awesome though to play though, so there's that I guess.

In Madden 11 the accelaration of a player was automated witch worked well,allowing you to concentrated more on avoiding tackles ect.Can we expect the same thing with Rugby world cup 2011? And in Rugby 08 you were able to kick a grubber and you could just keep on kicking it into the in goal area to score the try.(The defence had no change of picking up the ball).Was this glitch corrected?

Last edited:
Well.. Lets hope that next year.. No more of these EXCLUSIVE licenses are given.,, It doesnt help EITHER company, it hurts both them and the consumers..

Man.. Lets hope they can still add those facial features editor etc closer to release, after they see how much we want it..

We want it we want it.. lol.

Re-set after re-set of scrums is a characteristic of the contemporary game, as is timing the cadence of "Crouch, Touch, Pause, Engage" but it's not something that we think lends itself to accessible and compelling moments of gameplay. Again, this is an area that can tend to devolve quickly into a series of minigames that take away from our goal of fast, flowing and fun gameplay.

I think it wouldnt necessary make it a mini game within a game,it would make it more fun lets say for example. For crouch you could press R3,touch-X,pause there wouldnt be any button obviously and for engage you could push in the direction your scrum is goin....this would allow for infrigments like 'going early' to be penalised and the team that gets the slightest advantage on the hit would normally be the team going forward and winning the ball. Surely it wouldnt be that much of a mini game and would be mostly a fun part of the game especially when you playing with your friend rather than the AI.