• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

getting a new guitar

F

feicarsinn

so I've been playing for a few years now but i feel its time to go electric. was planning on getting an epiphone les paul special II. the reviews seem good and its down to 170 euros. planning to spend another hundred or so on the amp anyone got any other recommendations? thanks

I've got to be honest here, I don't rate Gibson guitars at all, and Epiphone are only really a decent buy because of the value they offer. Having said that I don't like Fender guitars either, which is odd because I love their Bass guitars. I'm using a Jazz Bass and a Stratocaster guitar at the moment. Love the Jazz but hate the Strat.

If I was going to recommend a guitar it'd be a Gretsch hollow bodied model of some sort, lovely pieces of kit. But very expensive unfortunately. Which is the only reason I haven't bought one yet.

For that money an Epiphone isn't a bad choice, my friend's got one and in all honesty the sound and playability are of a decent enough standard, they just aren't to my tastes. They may well be to your tastes which is what buying a guitar is all about.

Yeah I have an Epiphone Les Paul, and they're nice guitars - the necks are a bit thin for my liking though. My best recent buy was an Ibanez semi-acoustic which I bought at the beginning of last year - beautiful guitar, and plays like a dream. Pretty cheap, as well - given the quality.

Epiphone models of the better Gibson guitars are actually very good. I used to have an Epiphone Les Paul Custom before I got a Gibson SG. Can't go wrong with an Epi LP model in my opinion.

Also, have you looked into Mexican made Fender Stratocasters? Pretty much the same deal as a US made one but a f*** load cheaper, without losing a whole deal of quality.

And Hall.... strats rule! They may not look as cool as some of Gibsons guitars but god damn they are sweet to play. Telecasters aren't bad either but I don't really like the look, especially that weird nobby looking headstock.

I think it all depends on what the sound is you want. The Gibson will definitely aid in any blues/jazz or old school rock tone you are looking for. In my case, i just wanted a guitar that looked awesome, and could kill a few cats. I got me an Ibanez RG350. What a guitar...

And here she is...

ibanez_rg350exbk.jpg

The best guitar i have ever played though, has to be the Jackson DK! Nebula. This guitar is pure bliss. If only i could afford it. :(
jacdk1neb2.JPG

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wairarapa_cullen @ Jan 19 2009, 04:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Epiphone models of the better Gibson guitars are actually very good. I used to have an Epiphone Les Paul Custom before I got a Gibson SG. Can't go wrong with an Epi LP model in my opinion.

Also, have you looked into Mexican made Fender Stratocasters? Pretty much the same deal as a US made one but a f*** load cheaper, without losing a whole deal of quality.

And Hall.... strats rule! They may not look as cool as some of Gibsons guitars but god damn they are sweet to play. Telecasters aren't bad either but I don't really like the look, especially that weird nobby looking headstock.[/b]

I don't like Fender or Gibson when it comes to six strings. Like I said, Gretsch is the way forward, or Rickenbacker.

kewl thanks for the opinion guys i think i'll get it so also getting a roland amp btw

Roland make some pretty good amps.

The first one I ever bought was a 30w Basscube when I was first starting out. Its got some great effects on it and a nice sound. I still use it now when I'm just playing in my room. Great value for money and they probably do a similar model for guitar.

For gigging I swear by Ashdown amps.

Roland Cube amps are pretty much the standard starter amp, they are great value. So are some of the smaller Vox amps, should look into them also if you have the chance.

Gretsch make some sweet guitars and I have only had a play around with one in a store. I still prefer the Gibson ES-335 when it comes to looks and playability. I have played a Rickenbacker bass but never a guitar so can't judge, they do look pretty rad though.

The problem with Gibson guitars is that they cost far more than what they should be. A Les Paul standard costs almost $6,000 here which is a joke, where as a Fender Strat US standard is only about $2,000. Sure, more goes into the manufacturing of a Gibson but it's just too steep for anyone's liking. I prefer the SG to the Les Paul anyway and that's $3,000 cheaper.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hall @ Jan 20 2009, 12:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Roland make some pretty good amps.

The first one I ever bought was a 30w Basscube when I was first starting out. Its got some great effects on it and a nice sound. I still use it now when I'm just playing in my room. Great value for money and they probably do a similar model for guitar.

For gigging I swear by Ashdown amps.[/b]

Ashdown eh? Never seen or played one. I love Mesa Boogie amps and the fact you can switch between different wattages (from 5W to 60W). Just chuck it on the 5W setting, crank it up to get the valves burning and you get that awesome flat out tone at a lower volume which is great for playing in the house.

I certainly know what you mean about real Gibsons. They aren't worth as much as they are charging. At least with Epiphone you get a decent guitar for next to nothing.

As for the Fender version; Squire... awful, just plain awful.

The last Gretsch I played was through a Vox AC 30 amp. One of the most glorious sounds I've ever heard.

As for my liking for Ashdown amps, I can't say it extends to their guitar amps. But for Bass, and especially in small venues like bars and basement clubs, Ashdown Electric Blue 180w is the amp to use.

I've had an Epiphone Les Paul Gothic edition for donkeys years now, I still wouldn't eant anything else. They're much more comfortable then at Stratocastor or Telecaster (IMO) while they're better for a wider variety of tracks then an ESP.

I suppose anything is ok, apart from Fender. Fender, is absolute crap imho. Sounds like a tin with fitted strings. They are too heavy, and i think you pay way too much for it because of some of the pro's that used Fender guitars. I played the Zakk Wylde model Gibson once (Flying V), and i must admit that that was also a stunning guitar to play.

Jackson also make great guitars. Heck there are just so many. Honestly though, for price vs performance, Ibanez is a clear cut winner in my opinion.

I'll agree with you about the guitars but there will never be anything quite like a Fender Jazz Bass.

I know as much about quality bass guitars as i do about Yugoslavian football. Pretty much nothing. So i will take your word for it. :)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jer1cho @ Jan 20 2009, 11:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I suppose anything is ok, apart from Fender. Fender, is absolute crap imho. Sounds like a tin with fitted strings. They are too heavy, and i think you pay way too much for it because of some of the pro's that used Fender guitars. I played the Zakk Wylde model Gibson once (Flying V), and i must admit that that was also a stunning guitar to play.

Jackson also make great guitars. Heck there are just so many. Honestly though, for price vs performance, Ibanez is a clear cut winner in my opinion.[/b]

Blasphemy!

Oh well, it's all personal taste. Judging by your guitar I'd say your a flat out shredder? Jackson, ESP and Ibanez all kick ass in that department but they suck balls for playing stuff I play on a Strat. It's all up to the player anyway, it's impossible to say one guitar is better than the other really.

The best guitar I have ever played would be a Fender '57 reissue strat;

Trans_white_57_reissue_stratocaster_002.jpg

If I were rich I'd get this in a heartbeat though;

63_es335c_1.jpg

Ha Ha. You speak true words my friend. I am indeed a fast player, so i'm kind of bias. Sorry. :(

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Jan 18 2009, 11:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
so I've been playing for a few years now but i feel its time to go electric. was planning on getting an epiphone les paul special II. the reviews seem good and its down to 170 euros. planning to spend another hundred or so on the amp anyone got any other recommendations? thanks[/b]

That's the Celebration Day maannn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WUUUUUUUUWWWW WWWWWWWWWUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUWWWWWWWWWW

Celebration%20Fireworks.jpg

Latest posts