Getting a PC or Laptop

A

ak47

OK

I am about to buy a new PC or Laptop

But need help..........

I am only going to use it for Music, Videos (not movies), and photo's

No gaming...........

I just need a basic things that is media capable.

I also wish to get a good music program that you can create from scratch - songs

Do I get a PC or Laptop?

What are my minimums.................what price am I looking at..........what size HD should i get and RAM.

Its eventually going to be my photo album, and jukebox, with a few funny videos i suppose.

Also if you can recommend any Music Production Software.

I love making my own songs, or mixing songs together.

I know the PC can do this 1 billion times better than that PS2 Music 3000 game......in which I made a good 5-10 songs on, and they were mad.

Laptops are all well and good if you want to transport around, PCs are better if you just want to have leave it at home.

Worst thing bout laptops is that you cant update the hardware in it unless you smash it apart.

If you are looking at a media PC (music and photos) and you want it to run quickly and multiple applications I'd recommend as a minimum 512mb ram and 80gb hard drive.

May i ask what your budget is? Or what you would ideally like to pay or are willing to pay?

if you've got the money get a Mac, they have much better multimedia stuff than windows

Laptops are all well and good if you want to transport around, PCs are better if you just want to have leave it at home.

Worst thing bout laptops is that you cant update the hardware in it unless you smash it apart.

If you are looking at a media PC (music and photos) and you want it to run quickly and multiple applications I'd recommend as a minimum 512mb ram and 80gb hard drive.

May i ask what your budget is? Or what you would ideally like to pay or are willing to pay? [/b]

Well I have been turned to buy Laptops, they are so handy and you can use them anywhere... They are upgradable to a certain extent... I have just updated my laptop from 1GB of Ram to 2Gb of Ram and also upgrade the Hard Drive as well... Plus you can have multiple harddrives as well with a Laptop... On the point of Minimum Spec, I wouldnt look at a machine with less than 1GB as that is the Norm now-a-days... and about 80GB + Hard Drive seems to be the Norm as well...

if you've got the money get a Mac, they have much better multimedia stuff than windows [/b]

Video and Picture Editing Yes, but Versatality a big fat No!!!

well since i have a pc and a laptop at home i have both arguments.

laptop in your case would work best, carrying music and videos and stuff around would make it so much easier than having to burn it onto disk all the time. you can take your laptop to a mates place and plug it into the tv/or your tv/ and double it as a dvd player as well.

no matter what you want to do on it now if you buy a brand new laptop for around 1500aud you are getting a decent deal IMO. if you are going to do video editing as well i would have at least 200gig, hell in my laptop i have 40gig and is nowhere near enough. in my pc i have half a terribyte, and that is nowhere near enough :)

not going to be video editing.........music editing yes!!!!

budget is AUD$1500

any music programs you can suggest?

and do all pc now come with vista?

yeah most, if not all, will come with vista and would be worth playing around with.

i dont do any music editng so no idea what programs to suggest :)

see thing with laptops - the restrictions of upgrading

my flatmate has a laptop and its shot to pieces now....about 4 years old, and he wants ME to take it into a mate, whilst i get my new PC/Laptop.....not a good sign to get a laptop.

I have a good friend in the IT world of retail - I will do whatever he says in the end, and perhaps he may even build it for me

<div class='quotemain'>
As soon as you get a new machine - REMOVE VISTA!!!
[/b]

WHY WHY WHY????? :blink:

I wanna move in with Jerry and George's parents at Del Boca
[/b][/quote]

I don't see the point in removing vista at all. you can turn off a lot of stuff to boost performance and the paternal control lock only works if you actually activate it.

ak mate what you need to look for is ram at least 1 gig and hard-drive space. the more hard drive space the better as you will be filling it up with music and videos so will need plenty of space. graphics card doesn't really matter as it isn't for gaming. if you get a laptop look into the battery life of it need a good few hours at least and not something that dies in like 2 hour of use. for $1500 au I am sure you can find something that will fill your needs especially as you don't need it for gaming.

yep

i have been advised - 1 gig of RAM, and atleast 100 gigs HD space

and if required - can get external HD

what about the processor, chip or whatever its called??

i see athion thingies, and dual core pentium farkers!!!

once this baby is up n running, x360 media centre and then down the track - BROADBAND LIVE X360, TO WHOOP ALL YA'LL IN BLIC, RUGGER2008, AND TRF BETTING BOOKIE

I WONT HAVE MUCH VIDEOS - just funny clips, and home videos from my camera

nothing like movies n stuff

it will be 80% music
15% photos
5% videos

Latest posts