• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Goal Kickers Thread

D

DC

Well, i am a goal kicker, and i know i am not the only one here on the forum that is, and well this would be a nice place to chat about, different techniques and give tips.

So my first question is how many run up steps do you guys use when you kick?

I have started using only 2 (right, left/plant) then kick.

I used to use the 3, but it seems that i get more power and more accuracy out of the two step approach. As of right now i am still getting used to the scheme of the 2 step run up, but once i get used to it i think this will be the best approach for me.

How about you?

what's the best technique to kicking the ball. i've seen "average joe's" in local rugby knocking over 30+ metre place kicks with decent height too, then again i've seen guys in the same grade struggle to make 20 metre kicks. what separates the men from the boys here?

also how does the angle of the ball on the tee affect the type of kick, some people prefer straight up, some people angle the ball forward. is it just me or does angling the ball forward produce flatter kicks?

supposedly angling the ball forward exposes more of "the sweet spot" on the ball for better connection power etc.

personally i can only kick by toe hack/punt ala mal meninga don clarke :D

yea the tilt foreward exposes the sweet spot, but it's never really worked that well for me.

it seems that when i tilt it foreward, i hit the ball a lot flatter, and that just wont work for me.

i like to stand it up straight, take 3 steps back and then 2 to the left.. then the runup is right step, then plant foot being the left then kick, hit it with the upper inside of my foot and let it fly

the 2 step is really helpin me get more distance/accuracy/power.. just have to get used to the 2 step!

Until I blew out my right knee doing so, I was a goal kicker in every team I played in. Was normally a 4 back 2 left run up. First step was always backwards then a slow jog through to planting left foot and following through, with head down. Was a pretty good kicker, but said blow out stuffed me over the years to the point where I haven't place kicked for 3 years.

I preferred Gilbert tee, very slightly tilting ball forward, pretty much upright really.

I use to super tee, 4 steps back 3 to the side, with the ball leaning foward and I walk up instead of running.

what's this!? the ladyboys at the back making their own thread! disgusting!

what's this!? the ladyboys at the back making their own thread! disgusting!
[/b]

It's alright man we all that forwards win the game, it's the backs that determine by how many. And of course if it's a lost game it's their fault.

and all of your hardwork would go unrewarded without us!
[/b]

Bullshit we only need two of you. One to kick it and the other to pass it to the kicker

half back and fly half, two of the most important positions on the field..
[/b]

My ass they are! Backrows are the most important.. without us, u aint gettin any ball!
:bleh!:

but anyway, all of the positions are important, just that forwards are a wee bit more important than backs...

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
My ass they are! Backrows are the most important.. without us, u aint gettin any ball!
:bleh!: but anyway, all of the positions are important, just that forwards are a wee bit more important than backs...
[/b][/quote]

hey i thought this thread was about kicking, not the amount of pies you eat per day

<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
:bleh!: but anyway, all of the positions are important, just that forwards are a wee bit more important than backs...
[/b][/quote]

hey i thought this thread was about kicking, not the amount of pies you eat per day
[/b][/quote]

:bravo: great post :bravo:

i just take 3 steps back, 1 to the right...because i'm a left footed kicker. I use a generic tee and point the ball towards me when i kick...sort of like an NFL style kicker. My longest kick was a 60 yard penalty.

i just take 3 steps back, 1 to the right...because i'm a left footed kicker. I use a generic tee and point the ball towards me when i kick...sort of like an NFL style kicker. My longest kick was a 60 yard penalty.
[/b]

A 50 meter kick man? That's pushing the bullshit button my friend. You don't live in the bloody rockies.

As an aside: What school do you go to?

It's not entirely unbelievable, I knocked a couple of 50m's over back at school, before knee blew out.

It's not entirely unbelievable, I knocked a couple of 50m's over back at school, before knee blew out.
[/b]

Except I play in the same province as him and for a top high school I might add, and there is very few, as in the low single digits, that can make it from 50m out.

Latest posts