• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Golf - US Open

R

Rugby_Cymru

I really enjoyed this year's US Open. It was a cracking 4 dayer.
I'm really not a Furyk fan, so to see him miss out was pleasant, but at the beginning of day 3 i would have happily bet against Cabrera to win the tournament. He is one of the most impatient men in the game. I really didn't think he'd be able to stick the heat.
Baddely totally crumbled after having a great headstart, but i never saw him winning especially after his tragic start to day 4.
Tiger once again, not living up to the expectations. I thought in day 4 he really might pull it out, but it's been a while since he last won this major, and even though he played a couple of very good rounds he narrowly missed out in the end.

So who watched it?

i watched a little, golf isnt quite my cup of tea on TV, but yea it was a pretty good tournament for the parts i watched.

that course was ridiculous this year.

I'm really not a Furyk fan[/b]

Roger that.

When he got down to one shot from the leader, I'd rather anyone else won it rather than him - nothing personal, just for some reason not a fan.

To be honest, I was really rooting for Tiger to win: this brought up an interesting discussion with my girlfriend's sports-mad family - in what other sport do you see an almost total dominance of a sport by a single figure/team where that person/team isn't hated/rooted against by at least half of the supporting public? Think of Manchester United, the All-Blacks, the New York Yankees, to name a few. Big kudos to Woods in my opinion for managing to be so dominant at what he does, yet retain the respect and more importantly the adoration of the public and his fellow golfers.

With about an hour and a half to go on the last day, and Cabrera 2 shots ahead, I have to admit I turned on my tape of the South Africa v. Australia Tri-Nations match, but after 20 minutes of that I turned the golf back on to see the scores, and was rooted to the TV after that! Excellent finish to the competition, and Woods was unlucky when his drive on the 18th finished right on the border of the 2nd and 3rd cuts of rough; it left him an impossible putt.

One thing I was most shocked about - Cabrera smoking as he walked down the fairway on I think 15th or 16th in the last round! Not sure why, just thought that didn't happen anymore!

One thing I was most shocked about - Cabrera smoking as he walked down the fairway on I think 15th or 16th in the last round! Not sure why, just thought that didn't happen anymore! [/b]

I know exactly what you mean. The guy goes against every thing that a professional sports man should be. He smokes in between holes to chill out, he's overweight, and (for a golf game) he's very impatient.
At the beginning of the forth day i would have happily staked a fair bit of money against Cabrera taking the ***le.
Lucky i'm not a big gambler.

Well, I just meant that I couldn't believe that they were actually allowed to smoke on the course, not that he is a smoker in general - just like Tiger Woods doesn't even talk to his partner/opponent, even during Ryder Cup Foursome's, that's his thing.

As I said, I was rooting for Tiger, but Cabrera stayed out of the rough.

Latest posts