• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Golf

120? if that's his max that's pretty pathetic...

plus the pussy jogging doesn't make him any more athletic - they probably think that because he's not fat he's an athlete

golf can only be considered a sport when an irish person is winning otherwise i really dont care. when harrington plays it isnt come on paidrig its come on ireland

Golf is the greatest sport in the world after cricket rugby and soccer.

Of course its a SPORT

Golf is a sport - and you earn more than all rugby players if you in the top 100.

if you dont call them athletes, because of the lack of physical nature - you can call them smart f***ers for earning more money doing less phycially.

Its a sport
They are atheletes
They'd hit a golf ball farther than barry bond's would

And there isnt many more mentally tougher sports on the planet - its a complete mind f***

If people pay to turn up to watch, and its played and watched by more people than rugby............i think its a bigger sport.

There are courses in every country on the planet - even afghantistan and iraq.......its even more of a mental f*** there, as u never know if your ball is going to explode in your face, or if there is a mine on the green.

OK AK, you say that it`s a sport because people turn up to watch, the competitors (because I will NOT call them athletes-ever!) makes more money and because it`s played on courses all over the world. Nice.

Then I suppose the WWE will also be considered a sport. Because people turn up in droves to watch it, FFS they even have pay-per-views. And the actors (yeah, sorry but I won`t call those blokes athletes either) also earn more money than rugger buggers. And of course, they have their "world tour" events. You can also apply the same to any form of motor racing.

And one more point, about mental toughness and all. I can`t see how it can be such a mentally challenging thing to hit a little white ball, go fetch it, then hit it again. Chess is a more mentally challenging pastime mate.

Definition of Sport:
Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.
An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively.
An active pastime; recreation.

Personally I think that justifies Golf as a sport, as there are rules to obey, and it is competitive, at the end of the day WWE is not a competitive sport as it is all fixed, so it basically a floor show...

Charlie, I`ll agree wholeheartedly on that "wrestling" comedy show. I`ll watch it occasionally, just for laughs.

On golf, well I`m still not quite convinced. Sure it might fit the definition. Suffice to say, in my personal opinion, well I just hate the game. And as per my original definition of a ball sport- the ball doesn`t come back to you. You go and fetch it from the bottom of a hole, after about 178 shots. Not the same as the ball coming back to you.

Snooker, Pool, Bowls, Baseball, Cricket... All Sports where the ball doesn't come back to you...

Now your going to argue that Cricket and Baseball it does, but to be honest it is a team game, and the object of the game from an offensive view is to hit it as far as possible, which no different to Golf to be honest... The only difference being on a defensive point it is to get the ball back to you... now on a defensive point in Golf, it is to take more strokes in the shot hence why they have water hazards and bunkers as there defenders, you see my point??

OK AK, you say that it`s a sport because people turn up to watch, the competitors (because I will NOT call them athletes-ever!) makes more money and because it`s played on courses all over the world. Nice.

Then I suppose the WWE will also be considered a sport. Because people turn up in droves to watch it, FFS they even have pay-per-views. And the actors (yeah, sorry but I won`t call those blokes athletes either) also earn more money than rugger buggers. And of course, they have their "world tour" events. You can also apply the same to any form of motor racing.

And one more point, about mental toughness and all. I can`t see how it can be such a mentally challenging thing to hit a little white ball, go fetch it, then hit it again. Chess is a more mentally challenging pastime mate.

[/b]

I dont see the WWE recognised by the Lorus Sports Awards.........the difference lies there, take it up with Lorus if you feel golf should be omitted, and Tiger Woods is just a ball chaser.

You dont know or care to find out what golf really is if u cannot fathom the mental toughness of beating the course....its not about hitting ball and chasing it..........its about hitting the lowest amount of shots, in the circumstances given.......ie the balls lie, the pin location, the green speed and the rough length - JUST TO NAME A FEW VARIABLES.

Do you count cricket as mentally tough??

Cause if we used your analogy, hitting a red ball 5 times larger with a pane of wood 6 times wider, is just as easy as hitting a golf ball........even though a cricket ball is moving,,,the size of the ball and bat offsets the balls movement, when compared to golf stationay ball that is the same size as the sweet spot on a club.

If you think golf is about hitting a white ball and that only - your way off....

its like an american thinking rugby is weak, because rugby cant justify wearing helmets

Couple of really good posts, and well-constructed points there AK and Charlie.

@AK- look mate, I`ve played golf quite a bit before. A necessary evil of the business world. So I kind of get it that it`s about more than just hitting the little white ball. Yup. But I still absolutely hate it.

Wrt cricket- ahhh, now THERE`s a real sport. Now that`s what mental toughness is all about- the battle between batsman and bowler. And yes, the ball might be 5 times bigger, but.... it moves! And it does so, either at great pace, with some swing or seam movement. Or, if you`re facing a spinner, it`s turning in circles. Add to that the fact that you`re not aiming to hit the ball onto a fairway/green/in the hole, but you`re having to negotiate 11 other players out there, well now that`s the real deal.

And the same goes with bowling( in cricket, not lawn bowls!)- you have to work out the batsman`s strengths and weaknesses, work on your lengths. And if he`s got a very good technique, play on his patience. Especially in the first-class stuff.

Charlie, well-constructed points there. Okay, okay, so it`s a sport. I just don`t like it much- and that`s putting it mildly.

Definition of ATHLETE:

[NOUN] A person trained or gifted in exercises or contests involving physical agility, stamina, or strength; a participant in a sport, exercise, or game requiring physical skill.

This, BokMagic, proves you very wrong indeed.

whether u like it or not clicking a mouse is considered phsyical

so you'll find alot of sports that dont find your liking

DARTS, BOWLS, GOLF, BADMINTON, FISHING.

I like them all, as

Golf - a great day outdoors
Bowls - a great day outdoors with CHEAP $2.00 beer
Badminton - unique, different, thus can be fun in moderation
Fishing - u cant beat a sport that brings home food, by way of HUNT.

Watching on Tv is another story.........but giving it a go is what its all about.

The problem with golf for me, its run by protentious wankers....u cannot find a golf course without seeing the most arrogant, hot shot high horse ****.

but hitting a ball 250m is very fun indeed....i do believe u cannot hit anything furthur in distance in any other sport.

If the concession for golf being a sport has to be made, then by damned, darts is every bit as much of a "sport". Once golf is put into the same class as rugby, darts must then be put into the same class as golf.

IMHO, Golf is a pastime for those who haven't the physical capabilities of participating in a sport. Money and patience can make you beyond a decent golfer without the slightest bit of natural talent. I'll take the sport of rugby where your right to be on the pitch is dictated by your athletic ability and strength rather than your checkbook and ass kissing capabilities to create the fat wallet in the first place.

If the concession for golf being a sport has to be made, then by damned, darts is every bit as much of a "sport". Once golf is put into the same class as rugby, darts must then be put into the same class as golf.

IMHO, Golf is a pastime for those who haven't the physical capabilities of participating in a sport. Money and patience can make you beyond a decent golfer without the slightest bit of natural talent. I'll take the sport of rugby where your right to be on the pitch is dictated by your athletic ability and strength rather than your checkbook and ass kissing capabilities to create the fat wallet in the first place. [/b]

so this athletic ability and strength everyone is born with.

i wonder why we dont see anyone younger than 16 playing in the pro's

everyone is conditioned from birth mate - so your WRONG!

'natural ability' is simply a terms used when you cant describe why one is alot better than the other - its what separates the legends to the common pro - ie

Lomu compared to ACC

Tiger Woods compared to David Duval

Joey Johns compared to Brett Finch

Don Bradman compared to Marcus Trescothic

the only argument u have is genes............if ur dad did it well, so can you...........BUT YOU STILL NEED TO BE CONDITIONED after birth

whether u like it or not clicking a mouse is considered phsyical

I like them all, as

Watching on Tv is another story.........but giving it a go is what its all about.

The problem with golf for me, its run by protentious wankers....u cannot find a golf course without seeing the most arrogant, hot shot high horse ****.

but hitting a ball 250m is very fun indeed....i do believe u cannot hit anything furthur in distance in any other sport. [/b]

OK AK, now we`re getting somewhere. Like I`ve said before, have played it on several occasions. But generally speaking, can`t see the attraction of it. I remember very recently being out on the St Francis links, having to play a round with a couple of our suppliers. Well, maybe it wasn`t so bad. But checking in the surf coming in, well couldn`t help to feel that I would`ve much more enjoyed being out in the lineup with some mates.

Right, now onto those other sports you`ve mentioned- badminton I`ve never tried, probably never will, but the ball does come back to you. Just like in tennis and squash, both games that I reaaly enjoy.

Lawn bowls- well maybe I`ll try it one day, when I reach 80. Because nobody under 80 should play it.

Fishing- not really a sport IMO, even though I love fishing. More of a pastime IMO, although it doesn`t come any better than pitching your tent, having the kids playing around in the water, the wives making supper (fresh fish on a gas primus), and wetting a line straight into the surf. Once again, I realise that there are fishing competitions, and I certainly know from experience that there`s a helluva lot of skill involved, but it`s not really an athletic competition so to speak, so I won`t be calling it a real sport.

<div class='quotemain'> whether u like it or not clicking a mouse is considered phsyical

I like them all, as

but hitting a ball 250m is very fun indeed....i do believe u cannot hit anything furthur in distance in any other sport. [/b]

OK AK, now we`re getting somewhere. Like I`ve said before, have played it on several occasions. But generally speaking, can`t see the attraction of it. I remember very recently being out on the St Francis links, having to play a round with a couple of our suppliers. Well, maybe it wasn`t so bad. But checking in the surf coming in, well couldn`t help to feel that I would`ve much more enjoyed being out in the lineup with some mates.

Right, now onto those other sports you`ve mentioned- badminton I`ve never tried, probably never will, but the ball does come back to you. Just like in tennis and squash, both games that I reaaly enjoy.

Lawn bowls- well maybe I`ll try it one day, when I reach 80. Because nobody under 80 should play it.

Fishing- not really a sport IMO, even though I love fishing. More of a pastime IMO, although it doesn`t come any better than pitching your tent, having the kids playing around in the water, the wives making supper (fresh fish on a gas primus), and wetting a line straight into the surf. Once again, I realise that there are fishing competitions, and I certainly know from experience that there`s a helluva lot of skill involved, but it`s not really an athletic competition so to speak, so I won`t be calling it a real sport.

[/b][/quote]

true true with the fishing mate - to me its got 2 sides - sport and pastime

if ur sponsored and go in tournaments - its you playing the sport.

as these tournaments can be vary physically demanding.......ie landing marlin after marlin, tag and release is no easy relaxing practise

and with the bass series on ESPN - to win that u must reach a quota of weight, in short periods of time - from what i have witnessed this involves pulling bass after bass after bass - its like fishing in fast forward - it definately take alot of skill and is physically demanding.

But i would call a sunday with ur kids or nephews in the river or on the rocks playing the pastime.

Whether your opinion agress or not - FISHING is considered a sport in those tournaments

But again to me its got 2 sides...............if ur a pro your in the sport....if your not, its not even a sport, but moreso a hobby or pastime...........unlike touch footy, which is consdered a sport if your pro or not.

I`ll happily leave it at that AK. Once again, a very well-constructed argument. Same could be applied to golf, I suppose.

Suffice to say, I`ll never turn pro in golf, so to me personally, it`ll always be a very unfulfilling pastime.

That is a rather weak argument, just admitting you personally don't like it would be better.

I'm not very good at playing squash, however, that one time a year I engage in it, I enjoy it. If people only did what they think they're best at, this would be a strange world indeed.

Latest posts