• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Graham Henry on 2007 RWC Match Fixing

+1 rep to the first person who can guess where I want a tactical bus park at this stage!

What do you call a Bulls supporter walking around with a bottle of champagne after the game on Saturday?

A waiter!

+1 rep to the first person who can guess where I want a tactical bus park at this stage!

I's A?

Hahaha Harmless fun guys... the waiter one is a bit old though.
DHL.jpg

Graham Henry...Match fixing too Conspirational. Gross Bias, now you have a case.

I think there has to be a way devised to over-rule clearly pedantic and wrong decisions, penalties, sin-binning and send offs that are ruining the run of good play and sometimes whole competitions. Of course I have my bias on this 2007 one coming from NZ, but I could cite local games recently played here where I see these clearly dubious ref decisions or oversights that commentators see, as well as sideline refs, but yet who can't be called upon when try decisions are ruled. Sometimes these infuriating decisions are forgivable referee oversights, but I think we are being naive if we think that no ref can have a bad game or be right out of order or even get swallowed by their egos and need removing.

(Even though Graham Henry and I could be seen as rabidly biased, doesn't the whole rugby community need protection against both forgivable referee mistakes as well as grossly incompetant and biased refereeing, which you have to concede is at least possible in today's politically correct, sacred referee environment?)

Tell me what you think of this summation of Graham Henry's points about the bias and huge imbalance of penalties:

Graham made a clumsy tactical mistake alluding to, or accusing officials and Wayne Barnes of match fixing. But if he had focused on Wayne Barnes, a very young looking referee with a possible Coronation st Ashley Peacock complex, click here, investing a huge amount of energy showing the All Blacks who was going to be the referee of the tournament, and making more and more of a meal of it with a questionable early sinbinning and then missing a forward pass try against them and numerous missed penalties against the French, then I think he would have encountered less defensive walls and gotten more people to look at his points objectively.

Last edited:
Well the IRB are working on new TMO protocols that will result in the video ref having more involvement in key decisions. So I assume you will be pleased to hear that. (watch the Currie Cup)

I disagree however with this attitude that there is some kind of crisis going on regarding refereeing. You can barely list any actual examples of extreme failure (ie: going back to 2007 just speaks for itself), and the ones that you do list are borderline calls that the TMO probably wouldn't overule anyway.

Rugby is just a game, the players are only human and make human errors, so are the coaches and so are the refs. It's one of the fun aspects of sport. People who get worked up over refs or players not meeting an unrealistic level of perfection must have such boring lives. These people (no matter how old) need to get back into playing the game and realize it's not the end of the world when some test match they've played no part in doesn't go their way. It's just sport.

it would be kwaai if they have "x-ray" technology to determine that push over tries... eish its dificult to see if its a try or not... 20 guys on top of the ball...

unless some poor oak has got a "metal" liver that will show up for the world to see :D

Maybe we can use "snicko" to look for early scrum engagement, or "hotspot" to see if a high tackle was above or below the collar :D

If anything I would say refs need to be in a place where they aren't fearful of say handing out a yellow card etc because otherwise they would just keep letting players infringe- and they will infringe- which kills the game off even more if you ask me. I'd cite 2011 RWC Aus vs SA where Lawrence was way too lenient and probably didn't want to 'spoil the game' with a penalty or yellow card but what ended up happening is Pocock got free reign to spoil good front foot ball ilegaly and the only try in the game ended coming from a turn over. I'd say his reluctance to penalize ended up spoiling a good game of rugby.

I'd say his reluctance to penalize ended up spoiling a good game of rugby.

Exactly. A referee afraid to issue yellow cards is more likely to have a game full of yellow card offences, because the players don't see any consequence to breaking the foul play laws.

But then you get Rolland not being afraid to red card Warburton and you get a load of people saying he should have taken the occasion into account. You're never going to please everyone.

Can't believe he got a bite....

Lol You act like it was so subtle that no one would pick up on it (and to assume that it wasn't being a troll and merely in 'fun') ; yet the most blatant thing, and expect no reaction?

:lol:

Whoah, I never said the Springboks didn't deserve to win. NZ were very unlucky to lose in the QF, but South Africa deserved to win the tournament based on the fact they won the final. The point I did make was that if France played better rugby in the 2011 RWC final, then they would have won and that negative rugby is a feature of just about every RWC winning team.

I agree with the second point though, automatically dismissing Graham Henry as a cry baby and bad sport is unjustified. Taking the time to understand both the quote and the context would from my perspective, make these allegations towards Henry seem like a massive over-reaction.
I think this is the main problem.

This gives people as much opportunity to whine about Henry/The All Blacks - without actually seeing the context - and just blasting them.

You can. They usually do it at the back-entrance for the players to get to the dressing rooms quickly.
:lol: Good one.

(Oh wait, is this 'biting' too? :cool:)

Maybe we can use "snicko" to look for early scrum engagement, or "hotspot" to see if a high tackle was above or below the collar :D
I like this. Put it through nao!

Also, for those that have a go at us for arguing about the legitimacy of the 2007 RWC QF against France; are likely the same people that complain about things like Warburton in 2011 etc.

Nope. Warburton should have been sent off, France deservedly won in 07, tana should have picked up a ban in 05 and the only time Nigel Owens has not been a corrupt prick in favour of the Irish is when he's at risk of upsetting (the ironically named) Paddy O'Brien.

Nope. Warburton should have been sent off, France deservedly won in 07, tana should have picked up a ban in 05 and the only time Nigel Owens has not been a corrupt prick in favour of the Irish is when he's at risk of upsetting (the ironically named) Paddy O'Brien.
Difference in that and how poorly the game was called.

Though, if a game is called so poorly (case in point 07, 2011 SA vs AU) it blurs the lines between deserving, and a result of incompetence. hard to say of course, because you truly don't know what could have happened in all these instances.

The point remains, that they're all arguable and shouldn't really be shut down or dismissed; or telling people off adamantly as "whining". Which ironically, is whining in itself! :lol:

Difference in that and how poorly the game was called.

Though, if a game is called so poorly (case in point 07, 2011 SA vs AU) it blurs the lines between deserving, and a result of incompetence. hard to say of course, because you truly don't know what could have happened in all these instances.

The point remains, that they're all arguable and shouldn't really be shut down or dismissed; or telling people off adamantly as "whining". Which ironically, is whining in itself! :lol:

I promise you that if another referee such as Chris White or Tony Spreadbury had been refereeing that '07 quarter final, there is absolutely no bloody way that the French would have gone through the last 60 minutes without giving up a single penalty kick, free kick or penalty advantage.

The whole thing is a great piece of marketing for Henry's book.

The officating in the Cardiff game was absolutely pi55-poor.
If you cannot see that, you either know very little about the rules of rugby, or you you get your jollies by seeing NZ lose.
Either way - your opinion isn't worth much.

In so far as all the NZ/AB Haters out there - hate on chumps.

The ABs results speak far louder than the jealous vitriol from some of the posters on here

We have LAWS in rugby, twat.

We have LAWS in rugby, twat.

Yes FlukeArtist was wrong in this, but correct in everything else. If as much energy was spent on improving other nations' rugby, as is used in *****ing about NZ, then maybe that 80% winning rate could be reduced.

Latest posts