• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Guiness Premiere vs Super14

J

jawmalawm24

I just watched a replay of Leinster vs Munster and I'll be brutally honest and say it was far more entertaining Rugby than any of the Super14 games I witnessed this season. It's been a long time since I got to see a proper running Rugby game and Leinster vs Munster provided that for me.

I know alot of you are gonna disagree but I'm just being bloody honest. I'm sick of watching this kick, kick crap we've had to put up with and when I saw this game it made me remember what real Rugby was all about.

Whats everyones thoughts I'd really like to know.

Leinster v Munster was Magners League not Guinness Premiership btw.
Can't really say much abotu comparing the two, I've only ever seen highlights and 1 match of Super 14 (Brumbies vs Reds which was a one sided hammering anyway, so can't really say it was that interesting for a neutral). But I wasn't suprised this was a class match because the whole derby match factor, like a year or two ago the Blues and Scarlets played 2 of the best games (8 tries in one of them) I've seen for a while in the space of a few weeks of each other. Of course you get some terrible matches which aren't great for the spectators, but not every match is going to dazzle the fans and neutrals. Doesn;t help when kicking wars start up.
Should have plenty more great games in store when the Heineken kicks off next week.

...This match is hardly a fair representation of what I assume you are talking about NH Rugby. Super 14 has had a few really good matches. A few that spring to mind was Hurricanes vs Brumbies, Bulls vs Highlangers, Cheifs vs Blues ect ect, all of which had a great running game. However this wasn't a great year for Super rugby, but I hardly think condeming an entire competition because of a lousey year is a great idea. They are different competitions, it is hard to say which is better or worse. Traditionally Super 12-14 has been a greater running competition then in European competitions (though French Top 14 has all ways had alot of flair to it).

I've been watching a fair bit of both the Magners League and the Guiness Premiership this year, and this game was by far and way the pick of the bunch. Otherwise, I think it's hard to compare the two. This was a great game by all means, but I've watched some games that have failed to really gain my interest.

I think it's a lot similar to the ANZC (I'm not saying the standard's the same, just the style of play), without me having as much interest because I don't know the teams or players as well. Both teams are playing in, from what I can tell, difficult conditions, as opposed to the hard tracks Super 14 teams usually play on. I don't claim to be an expert. However, I think all the competitions will be pleasing those who are sick of the mindless kicking often seen in the Super 14.

That doesn't mean to say that Super rugby doesn't have a match like this up their sleeves in the future, or that they didn't have them in the past. It just so happens that this year was a rather average one, and although it pains me to say it, this was probably to do with the new rules.

Don't forget that conditions play a big factor in how the games are played - The Super 14 matches (as rule of thumb) generally have warmer climates and faster pitches which actively promote the smaller & faster players while tactical kicking will make use of the fast and hard pitch, so they're down the middle and bobble around a lot.

In the North it's generally colder and wetter, so the bigger players come into effect and keep the ball tight. Rucks, mauls and crash ball are much more effective tactics to use (along with garryowens). It's the nature of the beast.

Latest posts