Halfbacks standing still

Discussion in 'Rugby Video Games & Apps' started by jimmy44, Feb 17, 2005.

1. jimmy44

jimmy44 Guest

Although the videos have shown a huge amount of promise, the thing that niggles me is the number 10 standing still when he gets the ball. At first I tried to igniore it but now I find it hard. The problem with this is it gives the defence the split second it needs to re-organise and close gaps, and reduces the fluidity of the game.

I was wondering if anyone who has played it could tell me if there is a way round this? e.g if you press sprint button as the standoff gets the ball

Thanks

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. locksley

locksley Guest

Sorry, but there seems to be no way to change this, apart from starting a set play before passing the ball from the ruck! It happens ALL the time.

4. jimmy44

jimmy44 Guest

Can you start a set play before passing the ball from a ruck? Would this work?

5. lemon

lemon Guest

After seeing this on the videos I watched an actual game of rugby a bit more closley. while the 1st Fives don't just 'stand still' a LOT of the time they're a lot more stationary when they recieve the ball than you would think.

Even in actual rugby quite often while getting the ball from a long pass a back will have to "wait" for the pass and then start running. This happens in real rugby guys - but yeah, not "all the time".

6. Serge

Serge Guest

Yeah I notice that when watching rugby. Thats what is good about Larkham he is always trying to run onto the ball at good pace.

7. woodie

woodie Guest

This is a big part of how each team plays.

Larkham takes it deep(ish) - on the move - and offloads fairly flat
    Hodgson takes it very flat and passes on the gain line often
    Wilkinson stands back a bit more and usually moves infield
    Michalak takes it on the move looking for holes

If all the teams play with a stationary fly half this will make a big difference between how you see each team play on tv - and in the game.

8. jimmy44

jimmy44 Guest

[/QUOTE]If all the teams play with a stationary fly half this will make a big difference between how you see each team play on tv - and in the game.

9. jimmy44

jimmy44 Guest

I did exactly that after starting this thread - I watched the world cup final again and Jonny Wilkinson is often at slow pace when he gets the ball. so I guess the game is quite realistic.

Perhaps the problem isn't that the number 10 is standing still in the game, but rather it take a long time for him to wind up his speed.

Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!