• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Halfbacks standing still

J

jimmy44

Although the videos have shown a huge amount of promise, the thing that ****les me is the number 10 standing still when he gets the ball. At first I tried to igniore it but now I find it hard. The problem with this is it gives the defence the split second it needs to re-organise and close gaps, and reduces the fluidity of the game.

I was wondering if anyone who has played it could tell me if there is a way round this? e.g if you press sprint button as the standoff gets the ball

Thanks

Originally posted by jimmy44@Feb 18 2005, 02:37 AM
Although the videos have shown a huge amount of promise, the thing that ****les me is the number 10 standing still when he gets the ball. At first I tried to igniore it but now I find it hard. The problem with this is it gives the defence the split second it needs to re-organise and close gaps, and reduces the fluidity of the game.

I was wondering if anyone who has played it could tell me if there is a way round this? e.g if you press sprint button as the standoff gets the ball

Thanks
Sorry, but there seems to be no way to change this, apart from starting a set play before passing the ball from the ruck! It happens ALL the time.

Originally posted by locksley+Feb 18 2005, 05:59 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (locksley @ Feb 18 2005, 05:59 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-jimmy44
@Feb 18 2005, 02:37 AM

Thanks
Sorry, but there seems to be no way to change this, apart from starting a set play before passing the ball from the ruck! It happens ALL the time. [/b]
Can you start a set play before passing the ball from a ruck? Would this work?

After seeing this on the videos I watched an actual game of rugby a bit more closley. while the 1st Fives don't just 'stand still' a LOT of the time they're a lot more stationary when they recieve the ball than you would think.

Even in actual rugby quite often while getting the ball from a long pass a back will have to "wait" for the pass and then start running. This happens in real rugby guys - but yeah, not "all the time".

Yeah I notice that when watching rugby. Thats what is good about Larkham he is always trying to run onto the ball at good pace.

This is a big part of how each team plays.

Larkham takes it deep(ish) - on the move - and offloads fairly flat
Hodgson takes it very flat and passes on the gain line often
Wilkinson stands back a bit more and usually moves infield
Michalak takes it on the move looking for holes

If all the teams play with a stationary fly half this will make a big difference between how you see each team play on tv - and in the game.

[/QUOTE]If all the teams play with a stationary fly half this will make a big difference between how you see each team play on tv - and in the game.
Sorry to seem thick Woodie but what do you mean by this?

Originally posted by lemon@Feb 18 2005, 09:01 AM
After seeing this on the videos I watched an actual game of rugby a bit more closley. while the 1st Fives don't just 'stand still' a LOT of the time they're a lot more stationary when they recieve the ball than you would think.

Even in actual rugby quite often while getting the ball from a long pass a back will have to "wait" for the pass and then start running. This happens in real rugby guys - but yeah, not "all the time".
I did exactly that after starting this thread - I watched the world cup final again and Jonny Wilkinson is often at slow pace when he gets the ball. so I guess the game is quite realistic.

Perhaps the problem isn't that the number 10 is standing still in the game, but rather it take a long time for him to wind up his speed.

Latest posts