• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Hand of God goals

D

dobrien7

Messi Vs. Maradona â€" Which Goal?

A chance to compare the goal that Lionel Messi scored for FC Barcelona with the 'original'.

Diego Armando Maradona netted what many believe to be one of the finest goals of all time against England at the Estadio Azteca in Mexico City on June the 22nd 1986. The strike came after the notorious 'Mano De Dios' (Hand Of God) goal that saw the Argentine, for want of a better phrase, fist Shilton.The jaw-droppingly good goal wiped away and sour impressions of less-than-fair play by the number 10 as Héctor Enrique passed the ball to Maradona ten metres into the Albiceleste half and Maradona went on a 60-metre, 10 second rampage forward.

This left behind Hoddle, Reid, Sansom, Butcher and Fenwick â€" and finally England keeper Peter Shilton as Maradona slotted the second goal in to the collective awe of all present, going on to talk in hushed and reverent tones about being present when Maradona scored the goal of the century.

Two decades and ten months later Lionel Messi aped the man who has already named the Barça number 19 s his successor â€" Maradona. This time the setting was the Copa del Rey (King's Cup) in Spain with Barcelona beating Getafe 5-2.

Most were stunned by the similarity with Diego's celebrated goal against perfidious Albion, the Blaugrana gunning down the right flank with astonishing similarity in the movements to a young Diego who was years away from being hit with the consequences of cocaine addiction.

The question most are asking is simple â€" which goal is better? A tad hair-splitting perhaps, but obvious given the movements, area of the pitch used, dribbles and finish. Some â€" like Iniesta â€" prefer Messi's, others stay faithful to the old maestro himself.
[/b]

Man this kid is a reincarnation of the great man, and while maradona's still alive...

Messi http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1m1cQ78KrCk

Maradona http://www.youtube.com/v/u0zjx4MAHzk

There's also this as well...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vokEFFCtpBY

it does seem the case as long as he doesn't do the hand of god goal against England or Liverpool...

Messi should play striker in my opinion. His crossing isn't that good and he's wasted on the wing.

amazing how he was compared to maradona for his "wonder goal" and again here!!! maradona at his best and worst!! <_<

Did he not get cited after the game for using his hand? Did he get fined in any way, or as soon as the match is over in football nobody cares anymore?

It was a fantastic run by Messi - he just ghosted into that gap. The defenders had no chance of defending it.

I bet the 'keeper wishes that he just cleaned Messi up - he could have gotten a glove to the ball and then straight into the face of Messi. No more "hand of god" goals for Messi!

I was playing indoor football last night and one of the opposition's players kept on trying to charge down my long distance shots at goal - every single time he clipped me as he charged the kick down. I pulled my shot each and every time because it is only indoor football and not worth hacking people. The referee was ignoring it so on the fifth or sixth time I decided that I wasn't going to stop the follow through.

Bang! I got him good and he went flying. He was a bit reluctant to charge my kicks down after that. Sometimes you need to take a more proactive attitude.

What he was doing was 'gamemanship' - what you did was retaliation, and was probably the entire point of his gamemanship in the first place, because you're concentrating on him rather than the shot on goal, pass, etc.

Hook, line and sinker.

neither, maradona is a disgrace (don't care what he ever did) and messi is an imitator

Its pretty disgraceful the way he celebrates the 'goal' when he knowingly punches in with his hand.

I have to admit I was a bit annoyed at his overly ridiculous celebrations for a goal that shouldn't even have counted.

funny how people want to compare Messi with Maradona :D
"Diego Armando Maradona is the legend of football"

What a pair of cheaters! Those are the worst actions in football history (after the 1966 World Cup of course).

messi have a great future,but compare with maradona :p is very very dangerous for your carrer

There was another hand of God goal in the Middelsbrough Reserves vs Liverpool Reserves recently. It was shameful - I don't understand how both a ref & his linesman fail to spot these sort of things!!!

I remember Messi's hand of god the funny thing is that the referee gave some of the opposition yellow cards because of the way they surrounded him in protest. Poor performance on behalf of Messi and the officials

As it has been mentioned above both players gloat in the fact they cheated to score which cost the other side!

messi is the best player right now, nex wek my country, Chile, is going to play agains argentina in buenos aires for the world cup elimination and i am so scared of him, he could win the match alone

Latest posts