• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Haskell whinging...

The5thOfficial

Bench Player
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Wales
.... about stadium showing slo-mo replays of his flagrent disregard of the rules. LOL - its the same for everyone. if you can't do the time don't do the crime. And everyone in the stadium is entitled to their opinion as well. Ha ha ha so funny!

It's true that everything looks worse in slow mo . In regards to his own tackle vs Ireland, definite yellow. But the amount of times referees check for late tackles in slo no is laughable! He has a point.

It's true that everything looks worse in slow mo . In regards to his own tackle vs Ireland, definite yellow. But the amount of times referees check for late tackles in slo no is laughable! He has a point.

Absolutely but like I said its the same for everyone. And he suggested or intimated that the crowd were influencing the ref's decision. LOL.

But consistently bad refereeing doesn't make it okay, even though it's consistent (which actually it often isn't). Referees will always be influenced by the reactions of the crowd unfortunately.

But consistently bad refereeing doesn't make it okay, even though it's consistent (which actually it often isn't). Referees will always be influenced by the reactions of the crowd unfortunately.

Thats outrageous admitting on a public forum that refs are influenced by the crowd. Get a ref past or present to admit that and I'll eat my hat.

Completely agree that at times the referee spends way to much times focusing on the slow mo replays which always do look worse than the full speed ones.

Problem with Haskell is, he hasn't got a leg to stand on in this particular incident! If you hit someone high, with a swinging arm, off the ball, you deserve to be carded. It was just a really daft tackle to do, and inferring that he only got yellowed because of the slow mo replay doesn't reflect great on him.

He said:

"If you notice I pulled out, turned my head well away, there was no intent. I was shocked when I saw how slowly they were replaying it."

Problem is, you don't get away with it just because you say you didn't "intend" to hit the guy late, high and with no arms! His stupidity almost cost his team dearly (in fact I think Murray scored while he was in the bin?), so bit disappointing to see him try to shift accountability away from himself.

Here's the full article if anyone's interested: http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/mar/07/james-haskell-big-screen-replays-england-ireland

IMO the referee and even the TMO got a few things wrong in that match, but that challenge by Haskell was not one of them.

Definite penalty and having committed that penalty, you are then wide open to interpretation for a yellow card.

Haskell didn't have to use a straight arm tackle you might use on a prop, as Murray is not too wide for a clamp tackle, although the ball had gone when Haskell tackled him.

So whether the ref. used a monitor or not, it was still a penalty. I agree with him that a monitor could be used in future but only if referees think its necessary.

You have to admit as a player who's been yellow carded more time than any other in the history of the 6 nations he's a bit of an expert on what's a yellow and what's not.

He has a point about late tackles they should always be decided upon in real time the question is "has the player committed before the player no longer had possesion", I think it should be more along the lines of "has the player had reasonable time no to commit to the tackle". Only because while a player may notlook like he has committed at the time possesion was lost he may already be in that process of commiting. It's way easier to tell if the player has been reasonable in real time. Slo-wmo can only show the outwards signs of a player commiting and doesn't give any view to how much decison time he's had.

But yeah he doesn't have a leg to stand on this one twas a yellow every day of the week.

IMO the referee and even the TMO got a few things wrong in that match, but that challenge by Haskell was not one of them.

Definite penalty and having committed that penalty, you are then wide open to interpretation for a yellow card.

Haskell didn't have to use a straight arm tackle you might use on a prop, as Murray is not too wide for a clamp tackle, although the ball had gone when Haskell tackled him.

So whether the ref. used a monitor or not, it was still a penalty. I agree with him that a monitor could be used in future but only if referees think its necessary.

I 100% agree it was the right call and states so above :)

Yes it was a Yellow, Yes slow mo makes things look worse and shouldnt be used as much as it is and as for the crowd influencing the ref...well it does happen from time to time. Refs are only human.