• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

head injuries

Hardly a big stumbling block. If there is a stumbling block it would be obtaining a statistically significant sample size of relably recorded concussions.

BBC report stating 86 cases reported for 2013-14 season up 59% over the 54 in previous season!

Report called EPR injury surveillance project report featured on 12th February 2015 by Chris Jones BBC Radio 5 Live.

Full 19 page report available as PDF on englishrugby.com!

Last edited:
Interestingly Alonso out for three weeks for mandatory concussion break!! Obviously F1 take it more seriously than Rugby where you more likely to be concussed!!

Do Something

There is not enough done about concussions in rugby and all other sports. I did a lot of research on the subject and found Mike Palm, Manager of Concussion Services at Athletico, uses and recommends Omega-3’s and Re:Mind Recover. I found that Omega-3 fatty acids have been shown to have important benefits and may nutritionally help balance the inflammatory response post-exercise. A week after this research, I unfortunately suffered my first concussion of college the weekend before finals. I decided to try out Re:Mind Recover and was glad I did. My headaches were gone sooner than expected and I was able to focus enough to take my finals.

Athletes need to take care of their brains like they do their body. Re:Mind Recover is the protein shake for brains.

Highly recommend.

compulsary scrum caps ?

discuss

Don't be silly - banning them would be far more beneficial. I certainly think they should be banned at junior level, and carry a health warning on the packages when bought.

Wearing a scrum cap increases your risk of concussion. It does nothing at all to protect against it, but makes you less careful about where you put your head, increasing your risk.

Concussion occurs when the brain makes contact with the inside of the skull.
Take a cricket bat, wrap the back of the blade in bubble-wrap, or a scrum cap - hell, double up if you wish. now hit yourself with the front of the blade.
Did the protective layer protect you?

NB, please don't actually try this.

At the professional level, you can really push the evidence base to rule out early return, with un-cheat-able tests; like an fMRI scan every off-season, and that's the base level to return to before being allowed to train / play again. Hell, the RFU could buy their own for a couple of million.
At the lower level, then we're pretty much stuck with neurological questionnaires - and there's also far less incentive to cheat when players don't have a mortgage on the line. I'd still keep a 3 week minimum down-time as well.

Oh, and as for the spam above, do we report that to the mods or leave it to die?

Last edited:
Is there enough support and advice out their for parents concerned about head injuries? I have a had many friends who have had serious head injuries and concussions as well as myself. 3 broken cheeks to add. All with different side effects for example blurry vision, vomiting, and not remembering their name. Having played the game for many years I would recommend more time spent at grassroots level teaching young players the proper tackle technique and educating those in the game to be aware of the risks and appropriate stand down periods.

Latest posts