• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Hec 2005/2006

Aye there a class act alright, will take some team to stop them this year again.

Looks like Perpignan will play their likely home quarter final in Barcelona with Biarritz again using the Anoeta in San Sebastien, more high quality rugby exposure in Spain.

too true - i still expect the blues to qualify as they are more than capable of beating leeds - however if they play like they did today in the qf they will get mullered - if im be honest here - cardiff have little or no chance of progressing any further than the qf.

Well if Munster beat Sale and Leinster win their final 2 matches Cardiff will be out

munster looked formidable yesterday - granted castres were somewhat weakened tihe the absence of there beaty prop kees meeuws and of course there talismanic number 10 yann delagiue - but the way munster played was very intimidating - the centre partnership run great lines and even stringer played well - if they play like that at thomond park it will be a collosus battle - i do however only see a sale win - the have stood up to every test and have destroyed them - there front row is huge and they have big ball carriers in sheridan and chabal - not only that they have backs like hodgson,cueto and robinson who can ignite any team my guessing is that sale will just pip this by no more then one score.

Many have been and tried before but none have come away with a victory at Thomond Park, Munster know what they have to do, it'll be a mammoth affair but I'd be stunned if they lost their record now.

it will be a close game and could go either way - i just fancy sale to have to much in the backs for munster.

Obviously on paper Sale are streets ahead of Munster in terms of backline power, but the Thomond Park factor can never be dismissed and will probably see Munster to victory,

Look at the miracle match against Gloucester, noone gave them a ghosts chance of getting the four try bonus point victory yet they did it and even then there were no star studded performers in the Munster backline.

yeah if the munster pack can nullify the ball carriers of sale and limit there ball then they definitely have a good chance.

Originally posted by An Tarbh@Jan 14 2006, 05:20 PM
it'll be a mammoth affair but I'd be stunned if they lost their record now.
Where did Wasps play them in the semis a few years back? Was that not at Thomord Park?

Munster vs Sale will be one of the Shark's biggest challenge yet, although they need a good performance against the Dragons to reignite their form ahead of it. I would not like to call it personally, but it should be very close.

Originally posted by An Tarbh@Jan 14 2006, 05:39 PM
Was in Lansdowne Rd.
Ah, I see. Weird place to play it, being in Dublin and all. I know that for semi's, you have to host at a more 'neutral' venue, but is there any different venues in Limerick they could use, say they got to the semis this year?

there was talk that they could play in Fitzgerald Stadium in Kilarney which holds 42000 because the GAA don't actually own the stadium, but the GAA dismissed the possibility of this happening.

Again the Gaelic Grounds in Limerick holds 50000 and would be ideal but it's a GAA ground so it's a no go I'm afraid.

So Lansdowne Rd is the only option.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
although they need a good performance against the Dragons to reignite their form ahead of it. I would not like to call it personally, but it should be very close.[/b]

I'll call it right now! We're gonna get stuffed
<

Originally posted by SmokeyMonkey@Jan 14 2006, 06:20 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
although they need a good performance against the Dragons to reignite their form ahead of it. I would not like to call it personally, but it should be very close.

I'll call it right now! We're gonna get stuffed
<
[/b][/quote]
<
I was talking about the Munster match.

Have some faith though, strange things happen. Although it is quite likely, considering what happened last time you met.

An Tarbh, could you fill me why the GAA won't let the IRFU or the provinces to use their facilites.

It's a historical thing going back to colonial times, there was a ban on GAA members even playing soccer and rugby but that was overturned long ago. They also have a ban on foreign sports being played in their stadia, they've recently voted to change the rule to allow Croke Park to be temporarily used while Lansdowne Rd is redeveloped. In reality though it's only soccer and rugby that they don't allow in as all sorts of sports have been allowed in the past.

Originally posted by An Tarbh@Jan 14 2006, 06:43 PM
It's a historical thing going back to colonial times, there was a ban on GAA members even playing soccer and rugby but that was overturned long ago. They also have a ban on foreign sports being played in their stadia, they've recently voted to change the rule to allow Croke Park to be temporarily used while Lansdowne Rd is redeveloped. In reality though it's only soccer and rugby that they don't allow in as all sorts of sports have been allowed in the past.
Thanks for the explanation. It seems though a bit bitter of the GAA, especially considering the financial attractions of letting the stadia be used by rugby teams.

Yeah it's a little more complicated than that.

Anyway back on topic, Leinster got the job done against Glasgow, 9 tries to boot as well, with the bonus point so that was crucial. Keeps our hopes alive just, to be honest though I can't see us getting the win in Bath, their forwards will easily get the beating of us and I doubt we'll see enough ball to do enough damage with our backs.

Edinburgh beat Llanelli 33-32 tonight. Good game and Edinburgh should have one easily had it not been for the dubious sin binnings of Kelly (no idea, no one knew what that was for) and Southwell (Llanelli player chipped him and Southwell was in the way and raised his hands, granted he didin't move out of the way either but he's not obliged too, to signal he had no intention to tackle...Llanelli player made most of it falling over like he'd been shot).There are no complaints about Taylor's binning though.
Ref missed a shocking a dangerous tackle on Patterson by James. Patterson kicked through and James made a high and late tackle on Patterson, and the ref gave a scrum to Llanelli when the Edinburgh players threw the ball away in disgust (least that's what i think they did, I was too outrage). The other winger spear tackled Southwell and only saw yellow, but I expect him to be cited for it...though he did apologise straight away which is fair enough and didn't protest. We were by far the more dominant team and Llanelli scored a couple of tries which I doubt. The second try had 2 or 3 forward passes in the build up ( but the ref was at an angle so I guess what he can't see he can't give, the third try was from that stupid call by the ref on Southwell and the 4th looked like it was dropped on the line.

Edinburgh generally played well, save for the Llanelli presure early after we scored first , and was a big improvement on last week (though I still blame the ref last week). I was impressed by the Llanelli 10 and 15 though...they looked really useful.

So that means Llanelli won't get a best runner up spot.

Originally posted by loratadine@Jan 14 2006, 09:11 PM
neither will the gunners
<
I wasn't rubbing it in, I was making a point.

We've got the better chance of second cause we're not playing Toulouse.

Latest posts